PDA

View Full Version : Misc Finished the dvd shelves yesterday!!

Clutch070
02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Finally all done and all 2000+ dvd's are up.:goodjob:
What do you think?

JDBenson
02-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Nice!! Moar build parts less DVDs...

JDBenson
02-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Oh btw nice job on the family guy seasons

jonbuice5591
02-22-2012, 02:24 AM
i did this same thing except in the extra bedrooms walk in closet. lol

Clutch070
02-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Oh btw nice job on the family guy seasons

Thanks JD. Family guy is a must own for any DVD collection. I have a bunch of weird stuff too, like tons of B rated horror flicks and season collections of old 90's cartoons i used to watch (GI Joe, Transformers,....Snorks) as for the build... it was so simple it wasn't even worth describing.

i did this same thing except in the extra bedrooms walk in closet. lol

Nice! I rent this place so I couldn't do any major mods but I plan on buying a house soon. I need a bigger room for a nursery and i would like a man cave with a billiard table...and a garage would be nice so i could work on my POS.

Boosting EG
02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
wow nice

ruah_23
02-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Show off!!

Sammich
02-22-2012, 11:33 AM
too many dvds

Clutch070
02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Never enough DVD's. NEED MOAR!

green91
02-22-2012, 06:18 PM
LOL thats a hell of a DVD collection!

Should build a media center PC and store all of those on it, then you wouldnt have to hang shelves or even have to try and find any movies lol.

CSquared
02-22-2012, 07:16 PM
You essentially have a built motor and monster turbo hanging on your wall. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Echonova
02-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Wow... I thought I liked movies.

Clutch070
02-23-2012, 07:23 AM
You essentially have a built motor and monster turbo hanging on your wall. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

This collections been building for years and is a culmination of both mine and my girls Dvd's. I had a decent BB2/H22A build going till some failed abortion in a GS Lex plowed me at a red light going 50, and pushed me under a Ford econo Van. Dude had no insurance.

Vteckidd
02-23-2012, 08:50 AM
LOL thats a hell of a DVD collection!

Should build a media center PC and store all of those on it, then you wouldnt have to hang shelves or even have to try and find any movies lol.

this. Looks tacky.

I have all that on 1 PC tower neatly tucked behind my ent center. 10 TERABYTES, and they are all Blu-Ray.

The shelves themselves are a good idea, but out in the open like that...............just looks tacky and cluttered

Vteckidd
02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Tower, to the right. I have prob over 2000 movies and 200 gigs of music

Clutch070
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Tower, to the right. I have prob over 2000 movies and 200 gigs of music

That is a clean set up :goodjob: . I was thinking about buying the terra but a part of me likes the display and the other part of me is too lazy to go on that mission of ripping them one by one :rolleyes:

Vteckidd
02-23-2012, 12:08 PM
my parents have a book shelf setup like yours, its retarded lol do you have them in alphabetical order?

Clutch070
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah. I was originally going to set them up by genres but I had already invest hours in putting them in alphabetical order that I figured it would be a waste of time. Maybe next time I move. I want to build an entertainment wall fixture so i can hide all the wires from my game systems, fiber optics, surround, 3D components, etc. Its not messy but i hate knowing the cables are all zip tied behind the hardware.

Echonova
02-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Tower, to the right. I have prob over 2000 movies and 200 gigs of musicI would love to do something like that... But I would be eternally frightened of it crashing/breaking and losing everything. Hell, just on my piddly-ass home computer I have an external hard drive + encrypted cloud based back up... That way I have a back-up to my back-up.:( I'm sick.

I like having the movie/CD/whatever in my hand.

green91
02-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Disk space is so cheap now (and will get even cheaper once this alleged hd shortage goes away later this year), if you were paranoid you could throw up a cheap NAS unit elsewhere in the house to mirror your storage on the htpc. cloud backup of 8-10terabytes would require a hell of an internet connection with fast upload.

civicturbo10
02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
LOL, i thought i was the only one with multi stage archive for my data.

Home PC, physical dvd back up, and complete data archive in a bank vault in case of data loss on premises, lol. All i need is cloud based archive but i just don't trust it b/c i'm not in control. Hell there are people at work who only take paychecks in hand, direct deposit is not an option for them - talk about old school.

I would love to do something like that... But I would be eternally frightened of it crashing/breaking and losing everything. Hell, just on my piddly-ass home computer I have an external hard drive + encrypted cloud based back up... That way I have a back-up to my back-up.:( I'm sick.

Echonova
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
I forgot to mention I also back-up all my pictures for the year on to a DVD and store it in the fire-safe that sits inside the regular fire-proof safe.

Jesus, when you sit back and look at it... I am insane. But, the one thing you can never replace is pictures, so it's worth it.

civicturbo10
02-26-2012, 07:51 AM
^ Let me clarify, lol. I physically take my data to a safe deposit box inside a commercial bank. I continually update this archive inside the safe deposit box. Redundant, maybe. But data is very important since i'm almost paperless.

Echonova
02-26-2012, 09:42 AM
You win.

Humphrizzle
02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
an external hard drive could have carried everything on those shelves and not made a part of your house tacky.

RandomGuy
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.geexbox.org/download/ and some $200 bux of hard drives from microcenter, + 100 bux worth of mobo/cpu/ram/etc = win

Clutch070
02-28-2012, 03:04 PM
an external hard drive could have carried everything on those shelves and not made a part of your house tacky.

I am very grateful that my enormous collection of Dvd’s compelled you to come up with such a well thought out display of original and constructive criticism. You sir are a genius, and if you can pull your step dads’ fists off your mothers' purple, shame ridden, meth face for two seconds I bet he’d be honored to put that up on the fridge for you. I mean who would have thought that out of this whole thread you would be the only one to make such a clever suggestion. Great job! You get a golden star.:goodjob:

Vteckidd
02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I would love to do something like that... But I would be eternally frightened of it crashing/breaking and losing everything. Hell, just on my piddly-ass home computer I have an external hard drive + encrypted cloud based back up... That way I have a back-up to my back-up.:( I'm sick.

Updated virus software and being careful about where you download from minimizes that factor. Plus, you can always back up digital data to external sources, or clouds, or whatever.

Personally, music is backup via cloud already so it doesnt matter. Movies/TV Shows, easily backed up, and if your computer nukes itself for some unforseen reason, you can always download them again. I have had this motherboard for 6 years with no problems...........yet.

Hardrives can go a long time before failing

SPOOLIN
03-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I have a pc set aside just for file storage with redundant mirrored drives. i dont use it otherwise.

Mike how are you getting the movies to the tv? direct connection from hdmi video card or an intermediate box like an apple tv?

green91
03-02-2012, 11:42 AM
LOL this thread is making me want to create another for everyone to share their data replication/backup solutions!