PDA

View Full Version : Left The Iphone World

Brett
02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
So yesterday I decided to leave the Iphone world and go with the Samsung Galaxy S2, and damn this phone is bad ass, so far to me it blows away the Iphone4 I had.

Discuss.

MeFryRice
02-21-2012, 08:06 AM
What makes it more badass than the iPhone?

green91
02-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Welcome to the bright side! Ive had 3 android phones now and love all of them. I currently carry the galaxy nexus and its fantastic.

Brett
02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
What makes it more badass than the iPhone?

So far I love how much lighter and thinner it is, and to me the Dual Core is much faster than the I4 I had, and it being on the 4 G Network, everything loads super fast, and most of all, I can put Apps I WANT, not what Apple dictates.

STRteg
02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
So far I love how much lighter and thinner it is, and to me the Dual Core is much faster than the I4 I had, and it being on the 4 G Network, everything loads super fast, and most of all, I can put Apps I WANT, not what Apple dictates.

It's good to have another one on the dark side I myself am rocking a GSII Android is the best most powerful OS ever created for a mobile device. You have full ability to personalize the handset and OS how you see fit, and Samsung hardware is far ahead of the curve compared to Iphone just wait till the Galaxy S III comes out quad core with 2gb ram fucking sick

98blackcivic
02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
i dont have a smart phone...

Brett
02-21-2012, 09:56 AM
The screen on this thing is amazing!! Looks so rich and vivid. Love the screen. Yeah I got sick of Apple telling me how I could personalize it (Oh wait, you cant...lol) and what I can or cant download to it, I mean I buy it, I should be able to install what the hell I want to. I love now I will have the NASCAR App, Sprint TV, and Sprint Live NFL, none of that Apple would allow on their phone soooo......

Elbow
02-21-2012, 10:12 AM
iPhones are for kids that look like this:

http://thebadmomsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jonas-brothers-skinny-jeans.jpg

So congrats.

MeFryRice
02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
The screen on this thing is amazing!! Looks so rich and vivid. Love the screen. Yeah I got sick of Apple telling me how I could personalize it (Oh wait, you cant...lol) and what I can or cant download to it, I mean I buy it, I should be able to install what the hell I want to. I love now I will have the NASCAR App, Sprint TV, and Sprint Live NFL, none of that Apple would allow on their phone soooo......

I'm a big Apple fan but wanted to try out the Android software so I bought the Infuse; the GSII wasn't available in the states and was $700 if I were to buy from a vendor in Europe. I can't say I was impressed with the OLED screen clarity. The fact that you can mod it the way you want is cool. The Market didn't offer a lot of applications I used; Capital One, Delta Credit Union, etc. I still wouldn't mind trying out the GSII though.

Swagg422
02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm a big Apple fan but wanted to try out the Android software so I bought the Infuse; the GSII wasn't available in the states and was $700 if I were to buy from a vendor in Europe. I can't say I was impressed with the OLED screen clarity. The fact that you can mod it the way you want is cool. The Market didn't offer a lot of applications I used; Capital One, Delta Credit Union, etc. I still wouldn't mind trying out the GSII though.

If u need a banking app search for mint it let's u track all your accounts from one place.

Android it a better platform because it's personal you get to make your phone into something you like not the same shit everybody else has. I have a Samsung admire that's been rooted and cleaned up and i can outperform an iphone on a good day with a phone that only costs $60 without a contract on metro. For all you new comers to Android look into rooting your device it really unlocks its full potential.

Sent from my Samsung Admire Using Tapatalk

MeFryRice
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM
I used to have the app Mint but quit using it. Why? I don't know.
My iPhone 4S is currently jailbroken and modded to my liking. I would agree that not having the same UI appearance as the person standing next to you is nice.

Bacon
02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm currently using a Thunderbolt 4G and absolutely love the speed but once the iPhone 5 with 4G hits Verizon I am switching. Why? I jailbroke my wifes new iPhone 4S and it allows me to use PDAnet as a hotspot and not have it tethered. I have yet to find a way to so it with any Android device I have owned and I am on device #6.

Swagg422
02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah ihated that when I had an iphone ages ago. It's the simple things about Android that I like. Like the ability to put widgets I.. My screen so I don't have to go into every app one at a time to see my weather, account balance, and daily agenda all on 1 screen. But it's a huge thing of personal preference and what you comfortable with I have friends who went back to there iphones because it was what felt natural and there's a small learning curl difference when it come to using androids at full power.

Swagg422
02-21-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm currently using a Thunderbolt 4G and absolutely love the speed but once the iPhone 5 with 4G hits Verizon I am switching. Why? I jailbroke my wifes new iPhone 4S and it allows me to use PDAnet as a hotspot and not have it tethered. I have yet to find a way to so it with any Android device I have owned and I am on device #6.

Cool I personally find siri a bit creepy and skynet-ish lol and that's because PDAnet on Android refuses to update that aspect be ause it is possible I've seen Samsung Galaxy s2's do it. And are u rooted n Running a custom rom?

CSquared
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I switched from an iphone 3 to the Motorola ATRIX about a year back. I loved the customization, the nav and not having to download some piece of shit program to my computer just to update the phone.

Actually just bought my fiance an ATRIX 2 for vday to replace her 3gs.

I'm never looking back.

Brett
02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know if Ice Cream Sandwich will be released to update for the GS2?

green91
02-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Does require root.. but i use wifi-tether. http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Bacon
02-21-2012, 03:05 PM
The last time I rooted my phone, it became a useless paper weight. Will never do it again. I'll deal with tethering before I root my phone.

STRteg
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Does anyone know if Ice Cream Sandwich will be released to update for the GS2?

ICS official OTA update is rolling out for the GSII in march

Brett
02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
SUHWEET!! Thanks!!

BTW, I bought the white one, and since its Dual Core does this mean I have WHITE POWER?? LOL

Paul
02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
im planning on doing the same soon you liking it

RandomGuy
02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Android pwns everything,

It's so damn expandable.

RandomGuy
02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm trying to put together an app to interface with megasquirt + possible arduino hack

I want it so you can wirelessly datalog and view your logs in real time, etc... Would be sick to have something like this running on a dash mounted android tablet.

Maybe a phase 2 implementation adds full tuning support...

Imagine something like that! Control your in car entertainment and your fuel/ignition tables for your ECU, or just swap maps on the fly (Megasquirt can do boost control as well)

I think the future is going to be sick for tuners- things are getting cheaper and more and more DIYish

STRteg
02-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Imagine something like that! Control your in car entertainment and your fuel/ignition tables for your ECU, or just swap maps on the fly (Megasquirt can do boost control as well)

I think the future is going to be sick for tuners- things are getting cheaper and more and more DIYish

Already have it, app called Torque

BanginJimmy
02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Wife the got herself an iPhone 4S because of a bad experience with an Android. The more time I spend playing with hers, the more I like my droid X.

Dylan
02-21-2012, 07:05 PM
I have a DROID x and I fucking love it! I just can't get into any apple technology. When I upgrade next moth i'll definitely be getting another android.

Elbow
02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm trying to put together an app to interface with megasquirt + possible arduino hack

I want it so you can wirelessly datalog and view your logs in real time, etc... Would be sick to have something like this running on a dash mounted android tablet.

Maybe a phase 2 implementation adds full tuning support...

That would be sweet.

I'd prefer it in a flip out screen though so I can slam it shut when it tells me danger to the manifold and my rivets fall out causing my floor pan to take a crap.

Swagg422
02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
The last time I rooted my phone, it became a useless paper weight. Will never do it again. I'll deal with tethering before I root my phone.

That means u bricked it lol n it happens sometimes just means u did it wrong.

Julio
02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Android is great for gadget fanatics who like to pretend they have a lab for experiment.. I don't have time and don't really care ..lol

For regular users, iPhone is perfect. From previous experiences with the Android devices...I'll stick with Apple. iPhone is more user friendly. Once jailbroken, even better.

Even jailbreaking an iPhone is easier then rooting an Android.

Owned both, Android Tablet and Phone... For the things I do.. My iPhone and IPad owned both.

In reality, both are great softwares, however for me, IPhone/IPad run this show.

Julio
02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Be careful... AT&T caught me 3 times.. Using Pdanet and Mywi...lol

green91
02-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Every android phone has a different rooting process. Ive rooted tons of phones.. evo 4g, evo 3d, galaxy s ii, galaxy nexus, evo shift.. never had one fail. just follow the steps for your software version and youll be ok!

Bacon
02-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I have a DROID x and I fucking love it! I just can't get into any apple technology. When I upgrade next moth i'll definitely be getting another android.

I moved from a Droid X to the Thunderbolt and haven't looked back. I've had numerous issues with several Motorola devices and not one issue with this HTC.

That means u bricked it lol n it happens sometimes just means u did it wrong.

Everything was done right and it still bricked.

Be careful... AT&T caught me 3 times.. Using Pdanet and Mywi...lol

Verizon 4G unlimited data FTW!!!

Brett
02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
im planning on doing the same soon you liking it

Paul so far I love it, Battery life is not as great as my Iphone, But thats the only issue so far. Other from that its a great phone. I have an IPAD 2 so I still will have my Apple gadget

Skorcher
02-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm biased as I despise Apple and refuse to let any of their products into my house, but I got my wife The Galaxy SII Skyrocket after she played around with my Atrix for a while. She loves it too. Her brother who currently has an Iphone 4 played around with her Skyrocket and can't wait for his upgrade to switch to Android.

Brett
02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah seems the Galaxy S2 has had alot of people switch from Apple to this phone, I read reviews and out of 700 reviews on one site I looked at, It had a 4 3/4 Star rating out of 5 and many posted they left Apple for this phone. Seems like the one serious contender for Apple. I got mine in white, Watching the NASCAR practice session now while at work on it, LOVE IT!! LOL

RandomGuy
02-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Yeah seems the Galaxy S2 has had alot of people switch from Apple to this phone, I read reviews and out of 700 reviews on one site I looked at, It had a 4 3/4 Star rating out of 5 and many posted they left Apple for this phone. Seems like the one serious contender for Apple. I got mine in white, Watching the NASCAR practice session now while at work on it, LOVE IT!! LOL
I got one, not a big fan...

Anyone have good success with rooting and putting on a modded ICS release on there since the official one is not out yet. I've heard a lot of mixed things on this, but I kinda want to wait for the bloated "official" release to get a stripped version. Supposedly the firmwares for the S2 vary a LOT from carrier to carrier

Swagg422
02-23-2012, 01:34 AM
I moved from a Droid X to the Thunderbolt and haven't looked back. I've had numerous issues with several Motorola devices and not one issue with this HTC.

Everything was done right and it still bricked.

Verizon 4G unlimited data FTW!!!

Then u got some kinda bad luck lol i have yet to brick a device n. Hope I never do.

Swagg422
02-23-2012, 01:39 AM
I got one, not a big fan...

Anyone have good success with rooting and putting on a modded ICS release on there since the official one is not out yet. I've heard a lot of mixed things on this, but I kinda want to wait for the bloated "official" release to get a stripped version. Supposedly the firmwares for the S2 vary a LOT from carrier to carrier

Yeah I'd recommend u not do it till the official release gets unbloated ICS is very temperamental with diff carriers they like to tweak things so people don't mess wit it. The cyanogen mod guys haven't really made a stable version yet either

DeeAOne
02-23-2012, 01:41 AM
I have the HTC Inspire and I love it. Just how it works is so much better to me than the iPhone. I see the popularity of iPhones dropping in the next few years.

Brett
02-23-2012, 07:39 AM
I cant see that, The Iphone 5 will ignite a huge sale boost, People will flock to that like a fat kid at a buffet

Swagg422
02-23-2012, 06:12 PM
I cant see that, The Iphone 5 will ignite a huge sale boost, People will flock to that like a fat kid at a buffet

They might flock for a bit but once they pass that new system requirements for ICS devices n beyond. The iphone will have small sales boost when new devices come out but that's just plain curiosity n they will keep there core followers. But since Android was introduced they have had steady gains every year they already control more than half of the shares in the smartphone market. Quad cores and ICS are the future lol

Julio
02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
And to think that apple has only 1 phone design and continues to be Top dawg.. Yes, google has been smarter and putting their android software on anything with number keypad to gain ground.

Nothing wrong with that...

Swagg422
02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
And to think that apple has only 1 phone design and continues to be Top dawg.. Yes, google has been smarter and putting their android software on anything with number keypad to gain ground.

Nothing wrong with that...

Yeah it was a good marketing plan to catch up now all they to do is not let anymore low end devices get made. And it's a big reason y Android will dominate competition between phone makers have made some great things like htc sense and motorolas moto blur and the screens Samsung make. They one thing I live about I phone tho is the durability they have that will keep them going well into the future. But they should have waited before unveiling siri gives Android developers too much time to make a good siri like app for Android. (I have 3 on my phone now lol)

Julio
02-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Siri is great for driving... Call, directions etc.. Very useful.

Swagg422
02-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Siri jus feels old to me because of car home it used to do all that stuff without the creepy personality stuff. Skynet is real people n Apple is gonna make it.

Arm&hammer
02-25-2012, 04:02 PM
it all really depends on what phone phone you have.
I personally like both, but probably like android more.
i think that iphones are more for people that just use them to play the apps. other than that they are pretty pointless. imo

Swagg422
02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
i think that iphones are more for people that just use them to play the apps. other than that they are pretty pointless. imo

Yeah everybody likes being able to do more lol

Julio
02-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Have you owned an Iphone ? Pretty off base statement..I think.

Let me see what i use mines for ...

All personal information at my finger tips ( bank,stocks, 401k )
View,edit documents on the go.
Quickoffice to view /edit excel files and ods files
Dropbox to transfer work files
Outlook calendar plus work email ( get about 150 emails a day + full work calendar )
Able to VNC to work network an access all files ( planogram,bulletins, store layouts,financial data,private/public drives)
Pay all my bills via the iphone or ipad.
I use gps all the time
Printcentral
Use evernote daily w/ dropbox + quickoffice integration.
Weather
Music
I have made restaurant reservations +booked flights plus hotels
Take tons of pictures.

I'm a District Manager for a retail company and have to access a lot of files on the go all the time. My job provides me with a blackberry and a Laptop. I use my personal iphone + Ipad because is simply much easier for me personally and professionally.
I created a Power point presentation on my iphone using quickoffice ( 10 slides ) in about 1 hour... Yes, it was annoying and i hated it.. But it got me out of a tight bind...( did i say it was annoying lmao )

I have 1 game on my Ipad.. None on my iphone... I do have the FB app, both are Jailbroken and modded to my taste. I'm sure i can do all that with an Android as well. I just thought your statment was off base a tad bit...

I have owned 3 Android devices ( 2 tablets -1 phone ) none were a match to the simplicity of the Iphone and Ipad.

Remember, my personal experience.

Brett
02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Dumb question, but its been a while since I have had an Android Phone... In The Android Market, Where do you go to download Music Ringtones? I went to the Muic area and I see where you can buy individual songs but none show you can download a ring tone version of them.

Brett
02-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Have you owned an Iphone ? Pretty off base statement..I think.

Let me see what i use mines for ...

All personal information at my finger tips ( bank,stocks, 401k )
View,edit documents on the go.
Quickoffice to view /edit excel files and ods files
Dropbox to transfer work files
Outlook calendar plus work email ( get about 150 emails a day + full work calendar )
Able to VNC to work network an access all files ( planogram,bulletins, store layouts,financial data,private/public drives)
Pay all my bills via the iphone or ipad.
I use gps all the time
Printcentral
Use evernote daily w/ dropbox + quickoffice integration.
Weather
Music
I have made restaurant reservations +booked flights plus hotels
Take tons of pictures.

I'm a District Manager for a retail company and have to access a lot of files on the go all the time. My job provides me with a blackberry and a Laptop. I use my personal iphone + Ipad because is simply much easier for me personally and professionally.
I created a Power point presentation on my iphone using quickoffice ( 10 slides ) in about 1 hour... Yes, it was annoying and i hated it.. But it got me out of a tight bind...( did i say it was annoying lmao )

I have 1 game on my Ipad.. None on my iphone... I do have the FB app, both are Jailbroken and modded to my taste. I'm sure i can do all that with an Android as well. I just thought your statment was off base a tad bit...

I have owned 3 Android devices ( 2 tablets -1 phone ) none were a match to the simplicity of the Iphone and Ipad.

Remember, my personal experience.

I still love my IPAD2 for sure!!

babygurl
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I have to agree with Julio on this one. My personal experience. I had a Droid incredible HTC 2, and it was nightmare. I have to download PDF doc's for work and school and it would shut down my android market to where I couldnt get anything. Did that about 3 times. I had to reset my phone 2 times before I got rid of it. Switched to the Iphone 4 and no problems. I have 4 emails with work, school and personal. I have emails coming at me all day long, and have access to all the PDF files I want now. I havent gotten as technical with the power point's yet, but will try it eventually. But the Iphone works so much better for me. And plus I love watching movies, shows on netflix.

Brett
02-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I have Live TV on Mine, Netflix, etc... you get all the same stuff but without Apple telling me what apps I can download and I get FLASH VIDEO!! :)

Swagg422
02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I have Live TV on Mine, Netflix, etc... you get all the same stuff but without Apple telling me what apps I can download and I get FLASH VIDEO!! :)

Same I think one of the biggest things that will cripple people's opinion of android devices is people plain out buying wats marketed really hard like htc and Motorola. There devices come with heavy baggage that kill the phones. I personally like Samsung devices and nexus phones they are as close to the original os as possible.

Julio
02-28-2012, 07:20 PM

I have all that on the 4s.. C'mon buddy... OOopps.. No Flash ! Lmao..

Boosted FC
02-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Had the original Galaxy Captivate & now the SII Skyrocket. Will never get an Iphone.

Brett
02-29-2012, 08:22 AM
I have all that on the 4s.. C'mon buddy... OOopps.. No Flash ! Lmao..

LMAO

peg leg
03-05-2012, 04:21 AM
i made the switch from the iphone4 to the samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket and i love it. i had got so bored with the iphone and being able to hardly change anything around like i can on my galaxy.

Brett
03-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Galaxy SII rocks.

Franco Tirador
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
iPhones are for kids that look like this:

http://thebadmomsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jonas-brothers-skinny-jeans.jpg

So congrats.

this made me LOL so hard!!!!!!!!!!! the majority of the time that is very true!!!!!!

hahahahahaha

Franco Tirador
07-25-2012, 04:28 PM
i had an iphone 3gs unlocked and jailbroken, it was B.A. i lost it, and got another one within a week, then it was time for my upgrade with tmobile, so i got an itch for a dual core processor, so i got the galaxy S i think it was?? it was some galaxy, it pissed me off cause while the phone was okay it turned off on me like 3 times and it was only a few days old and i got all the protectors for the phone, so i took it back and got the sensation and i have been a happy camper ever since, im selling my iphone 3gs now, after using it around the house on wifi for a while, i recently got the sensation rooted and im getting all apps for free and that crap rocks!!! i paid someone to do it since i did not want to brick the phone, i have unlocked a few windows phones before but i did not want to take the risk with this one.

I also love the fact that you can expand the storage and you can conncect it to any computer, and at least it will pick up your sd card so you can access it, cant do none of that with the iphone. The fact is most Apple peope (i used to be a mac tech) are so bent on being "different" that if apple releases anything they will buy it, they have like this cult, for the price they pay for a okay Macbook pro, you can build a KILLER pc, that will walk all over the Mac, and even make it a hackintosh, for less money. Unless you do a lot of audio and/or video, apple is overpriced IMO, but yeah, i like my Android.

The ONLY thing i like about apple more is that the 3rd party apps on the iphone seem to be a bit more "clean" looking than adroid, some android apps look cheap, but ill still take that over being locked to copyright and not being able to use flash media player

Julio
07-25-2012, 06:42 PM
SD cards ? People still use those ?

§treet_§peed
07-25-2012, 06:48 PM
I plan on leaving the IPhone world when my contract renews since my 3gs took a shit on me last weekend. I'm thinking HTC One X.