PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust cloud doesn't go away even after car warms up...

JDBenson
02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Since its winter most everyone's car has an exhaust cloud coming out of the exhaust until the car warms up. My car will continue to have the exhaust cloud even when the car finally warms up. The car has a fully built motor B20 block B16 exhaust straight pipe exhaust. The cars temp goes up and down pretty easily but never goes beyond the middle line. Any thoughts on why this may be or is it normal for what I got? Thanks for your guys help!

-EnVus-
02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I was always told never trust just a OEM Temp gauge but use your eyes,hands,visual etc to gauge if its running hott. Many cars still have condensation cloud even after driving hours at a time hell even can in summer. You may have to much fuel issues or intake/Exhaust valves maybe worn. Then again you could have the ever so usual worn intake/head gasket issues. Also if you have no cat it can smoke more to...

JDBenson
02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Motor runs quite cool. My hood barely gets above luke warm... the car did have the fuel turned down recently which helped. The valves were readjusted before I got the car so maybe the valves may need to be replaced... I was already thinking of switching to ferrea valves and possibly getting new valve guides.

Echonova
02-14-2012, 11:05 PM
The amount of steam you are getting is very dependent on how much condensate your producing on shut down and the amount of exhaust system flow depending on the exhaust diameter and the amount of heat you are producing. Also the larger the diameter of pipe, the greater the surface area to build condensate on. A smaller exhaust diameter will produce higher exhaust gas speeds and higher internal temperatures which will burn the water out faster. With high flow, large diameter exhausts you need more gas speed and heat to evaporate the water. Without a catalytic converter your exhaust might not get hot enough to fully boil off the condensate.

green91
02-15-2012, 07:50 AM
If youre not losing coolant, dont worry about it. This time of year the condendation is very normal