PDA

View Full Version : General Chat TINTED LIGHTS

bullet67
02-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Can someone tell me definitively whether or not tinted tail lights are illegal or not "seriously my lights are visible from over 500ft at night" stop pulling me over asshole!

silversol
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
If they are legal they should not be!

DynamicSound
02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
It is 100% illegal. Any exterior modification of headlights or taillights in the manner of tinting, painting, covering is illegal in GA.

georgieboi
02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Maybe they can be seen at night, but what about during the day? That's why they are illegal

-EnVus-
02-09-2012, 11:34 AM
If they are legal they should not be!
x2 I don't think they are illegal long as visible from 500ft. But a buddy of mine did get rear ended for his and the judge said it was his fault due to tail lights.
Very bad idea of a way to customize lights...

dc2gs
02-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Yepp its illegal. I think i have seen your car around the ville. Your tails are kinda dark dude, only seen them during the day though

Bacon
02-09-2012, 01:52 PM
One of the stupidest modifications any one person can do to their car and I am so glad it's against the law.

Potter
02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
no me gusta tinted lights

Dylan
02-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Fully. I wish everyone with tinted lights would get a ticket.

bullet67
02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
well regardless of personal opinion they aren't that dark and i thought it was legal for up to 500ft the only reason i changed them is because some kid on a gsxr nailed me at about 100mph a few months ago guess ill go back to stock.

thanks for the input that was helpful.

-EnVus-
02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
well regardless of personal opinion they aren't that dark and i thought it was legal for up to 500ft the only reason i changed them is because some kid on a gsxr nailed me at about 100mph a few months ago guess ill go back to stock.

thanks for the input that was helpful.
It is a think you should ask a DMV about cause they make after market covers and many do it. Then the law does say long as lights are visible from 500ft so its a mixed message law :(

DynamicSound
02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
The 500ft rule is only for trailers and other items that people will add taillights. This is because car manufacturers' already ensure the stock taillights are legal and visible up to 500ft. The taillights will need to meet manufacturers' standards. If you apply any tint over the lights, they NO LONGER meet the standards nor does it meet DOT standards. This means no matter if the you think they are visible up to 500ft (day and night), the cop or judge legally can rule against it.

Now with all that being said, if you do not want a ticket...do not do it. If you do it, accept the risk of a ticket and do not cry about it when you get one. Your opinion does not matter, only the law enforcement agent and the judges' does. I have personally receive 5 window tint tickets in the past 4 years and accept everyone because I know it is illegal. This is what we tell every customer since we do window, headlight, and taillight tinting.

DynamicSound
02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
It is a think you should ask a DMV about cause they make after market covers and many do it. Then the law does say long as lights are visible from 500ft so its a mixed message law :(

Covers like the GTO ones are also illegal...it is sold as "off road" use only. Back in the 90's when they were popular people were getting ticketed like crazy. Not illegal to sell it, not illegal to have it on the car, but is illegal to use them on a public road.

cactusEG
02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Just untinte them and you will never have this problem

-EnVus-
02-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Covers like the GTO ones are also illegal...it is sold as "off road" use only. Back in the 90's when they were popular people were getting ticketed like crazy. Not illegal to sell it, not illegal to have it on the car, but is illegal to use them on a public road.
I was told you could use the headlight ones long as they are removed by dusk. I am myself against anything to dim the brake lights if anything maybe make the brighter lol

DynamicSound
02-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I was told you could use the headlight ones long as they are removed by dusk. I am myself against anything to dim the brake lights if anything maybe make the brighter lol

As far as the law goes, it would be illegal in the daytime too just because the law does not state anything about specifically nighttime. However, that would greatly reduce the chance of issue. Just depends on the cop.

RL...
02-09-2012, 10:36 PM
what DS said, if you get it tinted illegally then man up when you get a ticket, if you cant then dont do it.

bullet67
02-10-2012, 10:12 AM
i bought them tinted they are tinted from the inside, this meaning it does not take away from the "reflective property" of the light itself but it seems like the easiest thing to do would be just to replace them "again" but i think im entitled to be a little annoyed in the fact that "law is stupid" in most respects. it's my car, my money, and my problem if im involved in an accident. "therefore im a little annoyed" but screw it. now if i could only find led tails lol.

tnomud
02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
It is 100% illegal. Any exterior modification of headlights or taillights in the manner of tinting, painting, covering is illegal in GA.

Almost Correct. Any modification to ANY part of ANY FMVSS compliant light on any Vehicle is illegal in all 50 states.

NOTE: knowingly making your vehicle non-compliant, thus resulting in an accident related to this modificaton makes you liable. IE: You black out your tail lights, I rear end you because of the reduced light, I can sue you. :goodjob:

Dylan
02-13-2012, 07:51 PM
i bought them tinted they are tinted from the inside, this meaning it does not take away from the "reflective property" of the light itself but it seems like the easiest thing to do would be just to replace them "again" but i think im entitled to be a little annoyed in the fact that "law is stupid" in most respects. it's my car, my money, and my problem if im involved in an accident. "therefore im a little annoyed" but screw it. now if i could only find led tails lol.

I'm sure everyone would agree that looking like a ricer is worth potentially risking an innocent persons' life. Great mentality you have there.

Bacon
02-13-2012, 08:16 PM
It doesn't matter if they are tinted from the inside or outside. Illegal is illegal. Wanna take the risk, then that's on you. As for LED taillights, just buy LED replacement bulbs.

PTCDC5
02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
The law is not stupid, it's there to protect innocent people like me from people like you. It's not just "your problem" of you're involved in an accident, it obviously becomes someone else's problem.

tnomud
02-13-2012, 09:44 PM

If they are tinted behind the lense, then they are reducing the output even more than if on the outside. The law is not stupid at all. The law is there to keep people like you, from killing people like me. It's not just your problem if you cause a wreck. It's they guy who hit you, they guy behind him, and the 30K people on the downtown connector that are now late for work because of your sweet looking tail lights.:goodjob:

Let me guess, you rock a sweet HID kit in your headlights too, right?:yes:

bullet67
02-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Im not going to give that the satisfaction of an ongoing argument, I'll just say that I went out the other night with a friend and took pictures its very clear that my lights are on and visible at over 800ft so if you hit me, you're simply not paying attention or high. But to save the ticket money they could potentially cause me its well worth it to go back to stock. I've already ordered an original pair.

But thank you everyone for the information.

tnomud
02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
But to save the ticket money they could potentially cause me its well worth it to go back to stock. I've already ordered an original pair.

But thank you everyone for the information.

GOOD MAN! Making poor safety decisions just hurts the sport for the rest of us.

Raymond
04-10-2012, 05:02 PM
It doesn't matter if they are tinted from the inside or outside. Illegal is illegal. Wanna take the risk, then that's on you. As for LED taillights, just buy LED replacement bulbs.

If you want LED inside a clear lens, suggest a light coating before making it too dark. I felt for you all make it too dark. I had people end up buying new tail lights. www.hidlightsusa.com

Bacon
04-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Raymond, I do need to put a list together of all the bulbs I have so I can get replacements in all LED. I'll be hitting you up in about a month.