PDA

View Full Version : Religion Indiana passes law to allow religion in science class

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2012/02/indiana-senate-passes-bill-putting-religion-in-science-class.ars

Discuss

Vteckidd
02-03-2012, 02:30 PM
ehhh

Teaching the ORIGINS of DIFFERENT religions, not a big deal. Teaching that religion is the correct origin of life, def wrong.

I see nothing wrong with teaching that a majority of the people on the earth believe in a higher power and that these are the origins of christianity, muslims, jewish, catholic, whatever. as long as they arent influencing kids to believe a certain way, nothing wrong with educating our children on different forms of religion.

hell i took a religion 101 class in College, i turned out fine

geoff
02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I do not see anything wrong with it either, im sure thats no surprise to you though. Since the Big Bang is not scientific fact, why not put all the plausible options on the table? Here is a question for you....do you believe prayer in school should be banned?

Vteckidd
02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
prayer in school ..............it shouldnt be sanctioned, but a "moment of silence" for that particular person to practice their religion is fine if thats what you mean.

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
The thing is, the big bang theory is based on scientific fact, same with evolution, which is why it's taught in science class. The whole scientific community recognizes this. "Creation" is not. There are already institutions that deal with "creation science". If you want your kids to learn it, you can take them to those institutions, free of charge, and they're open every Sunday.

I wonder if those that voted for this would be ok with teaching the big bang theory and evolution in church? Probably not

bu villain
02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2012/02/indiana-senate-passes-bill-putting-religion-in-science-class.ars

Discuss

I have no problem with students discussing religous creation stories in school but it doesn't make sense to do it in a science class. Most relgious creation stories can not be tested with the scientific method, hence, they do not belong in a science class.

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I have no problem with students discussing religous creation stories in school but it doesn't make sense to do it in a science class. Most relgious creation stories can not be tested with the scientific method, hence, they do not belong in a science class.

I'm ok with this method. Strictly as an elective class or exploratory program

Vteckidd
02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
The big bang theory is a theory it is not fact.

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
The big bang theory is a theory.

You are exactly right here. The big bang theory is a scientific theory.

BTW, theory does not mean "guess"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Scientific_theory&mobileaction=view_normal_site

Vteckidd
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Theory = educated guess, still not fact

geoff
02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Either way why teach an unproven theory as FACT? Give both options, and let the students choose for themselves. Can you imagine if only Liberal politics was taught in school as the "appropriate" way. School is to educate youth on all options out there based on the current knowledge we have. Do not limit their choices because you do not agree with them. You atheists are "free thinkers"....so let them think freely.

As far as prayer goes, i say let the students come together to pray if they so choose. Let them give thanks over their meals if that is how they were raised. The only thing that should be restricted is prejudice against anothers beliefs.

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Theory = educated guess, still not fact

Man, I looked up "scientific theory" in every dictionary I could find. Still couldn't find the words "educated guess" in them anywhere.

I guess your definition of theory is........

.....a "theory". Lol

Vteckidd
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Cool, I've taken. Higher learning science classes, a theory is not fact. Period

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Either way why teach an unproven theory as FACT? Give both options, and let the students choose for themselves. Can you imagine if only Liberal politics was taught in school as the "appropriate" way. School is to educate youth on all options out there based on the current knowledge we have. Do not limit their choices because you do not agree with them. You atheists are "free thinkers"....so let them think freely.It is taught as scientific theory in science class because it can be tested (with repeated conclusive results) with the scientific method. The only way it could be taught in science class would be biased against it since it cannot be tested conclusively with the scientific method.

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Cool, I've taken. Higher learning science classes, a theory is not fact. Period

So then by your definition, since you've taken higher learning classes, the earth orbiting the sun is not a fact, correct? Serious question. There is a correct answer.

95420A
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Educated guess may seem like a simple way to sum it up but really that's all a theory is. It is not a fact. It is just a proposed idea based on the scientific evidence.

As far as the big bang theory goes its not even a good one. The chances that all the necessary elements needed to create life in even its most simple, basic form would.be present in one location at one time is for all intents and purposes an impossibility

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
As far as the big bang theory goes its not even a good one. The chances that all the necessary elements needed to create life in even its most simple, basic form would.be present in one location at one time is for all intents and purposes an impossibilityThe big bang theory doesn't not attempt to explain how complex life began. This is called abiogenesis.

95420A
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I didn't say complex life I said life in even its most basic form. Even a single celled organism would be beyond explination using the big bang theory

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

bu villain
02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Some important clarifications:

Be careful when using the word fact. Everything in science is open to revision if new evidence comes to light and that includes the "Law of gravity".
"Theory" in "scientific theory" does not have the same meaning as "theory" in everday english. A scientific theory has much more rigorous a definition than "educated guess".

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
I didn't say complex life I said life in even its most basic form. Even a single celled organism would be beyond explination using the big bang theoryIt doesn't even attempt to explain single celled organisms

Big bang theory explains (VERY simply paraphrased) where the earth and other planets came from. The theory says (VERY simply paraphrased) a gravitational singlarity. We can observe OTHER singularities to hypothesize how ours came into existence.

Then there's abiogenesis, which explains where life comes from. Scientists have recently done experiments that observe how "simple" life came to be.

Then there's evolution that explains how "complex" life came to be, and everything in the middle

The problem is that believers are lumping all of those together and saying its one huge thing when it's not

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Some important clarifications:

Be careful when using the word fact. Everything in science is open to revision if new evidence comes to light and that includes the "Law of gravity".
"Theory" in "scientific theory" does not have the same meaning as "theory" in everday english. A scientific theory has much more rigorous a definition than "educated guess".

Even scientific LAWS are open to revision. See "general relativity" which better explains "gravitation"

Scientific law and theory are also two separate things. People seem to think a theory is a guess and a law is what the theory turned into. (scientific) Laws will always be laws and theories will always be theories.

Sinfix_15
02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
If you want to learn about religion, attend a church.

bu villain
02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
It's interesting that no one tries to discredit the theory of relativity, atomic theory, or electromagnetic theory as "just theories"

Vteckidd
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
It's interesting that no one tries to discredit the theory of relativity, atomic theory, or electromagnetic theory as "just theories"

The difference is the science backing all of the latter is far more sound than the big bang.

Light speed travel we will never know until we reach lght speed, which isn't happeneing anytime soon.

How do you suppose we test the big bang out?

Its a theory and an educated guess. There is ZERO modern day evidence to support it. Its just as likely God crated us as a bunch of particles developing into a single cell organism then evolved into dinosaurs and humans.

They are both unprovable

Vteckidd
02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Evolution is a theory, it can't be proven, even though there are a lot of evidence to support it, there's glaring evidence to suggest its impossible.

Sinfix_15
02-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Evolution is a theory, it can't be proven, even though there are a lot of evidence to support it, there's glaring evidence to suggest its impossible.

any evidence supporting this theory?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wuSqJG5bIKE/TU6KNSDKJoI/AAAAAAAAAzc/PXhstUqzeYg/s1600/crossing-the-red-sea.png

Vteckidd
02-03-2012, 05:15 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wuSqJG5bIKE/TU6KNSDKJoI/AAAAAAAAAzc/PXhstUqzeYg/s1600/crossing-the-red-sea.png

No there is zero evidence to support Moses parted the red sea. You either believe it or you don't.

There's no evidence God exists, there's no evidence he doesn't exist either.

Either you believe or you don't, plain and simple

Sinfix_15
02-03-2012, 05:18 PM
No there is zero evidence to support Moses parted the red sea. You either believe it or you don't.

There's no evidence God exists, there's no evidence he doesn't exist either.

Either you believe or you don't, plain and simple

so with that said......

true or false, religion belongs in science class.

CptWitwiki
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Religion isn't a science creationism isn't a science therefore it does not belong in a science class

.blank cd
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
It's interesting that no one tries to discredit the theory of relativity, atomic theory, or electromagnetic theory as "just theories"It boils down to people believing science is an alternate belief system. And cognitive dissonance.

The difference is the science backing all of the latter is far more sound than the big bang.So there are two scientific methods now? Can you explain to me what sound scientific backing is, as opposed to unsound scientific backing? Did you happen to answer the other question I posed to you?

Light speed travel we will never know until we reach lght speed, which isn't happeneing anytime soon.We wont reach light speed until we drop all of our mass and drag coefficient

How do you suppose we test the big bang out?Observe other gravitational sigularities with really big telescopes, which is being done

Its a theory and an educated guess. There is ZERO modern day evidence to support it.False

Its just as likely God crated us as a bunch of particles developing into a single cell organism then evolved into dinosaurs and humans.Absolutely possible, however, unlikely that "god" did it

Evolution is a theory, it can't be proven, even though there are a lot of evidence to support it, there's glaring evidence to suggest its impossible.Evolution is scientific fact. You can test it yourself. Step 1: Get a flu vaccine this year, Step 2: Never ever get one again and see if you can contract the flu again. Step 3: Come back and report your findings.

There is zero evidence to suggest its impossible from any credible scientist. If there is, please cite your source. (foxnews.com, rushlimbaugh.com, alexjones.com are not credible sources)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wuSqJG5bIKE/TU6KNSDKJoI/AAAAAAAAAzc/PXhstUqzeYg/s1600/crossing-the-red-sea.pngAbsolutely, the bible says moses used telekenises to move salt water molecules...didnt it? lol

WhiteAccord
02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
In the End.... Religion is the Root of All Evils.

thepolecat
02-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I am a teacher. I teach science. My focus is biology. All I can say is WTF. There needs to a clear line of separation of church and state.

I can deal with (sort of) the fact that I MUST say that all of the topics on evolution, genetics and heredity that I teach are "theories only". I have to get out of this profession. It is going down the crapper faster than I can keep up with.

.blank cd
02-04-2012, 11:11 PM
I am a teacher. I teach science. My focus is biology. All I can say is WTF. There needs to a clear line of separation of church and state.

I can deal with (sort of) the fact that I MUST say that all of the topics on evolution, genetics and heredity that I teach are "theories only". I have to get out of this profession. It is going down the crapper faster than I can keep up with.

Is it really that bad? Trying to be a science teacher here...

bu villain
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
The difference is the science backing all of the latter is far more sound than the big bang.

I wasn't saying you can't debate the theory, just that calling it a "theory" isn't a good argument.

How do you suppose we test the big bang out?

Its a theory and an educated guess. There is ZERO modern day evidence to support it. Its just as likely God crated us as a bunch of particles developing into a single cell organism then evolved into dinosaurs and humans.

They are both unprovable

Of course there is plenty of evidence to support it. Red shifting, Cosmic background radiation, etc. If there wasn't evidence it would just be conjecture, not a theory.