PDA

View Full Version : backfire? help

Go_Fast
01-25-2012, 07:51 PM
i just put an ls in my car and its making this backfire noise when i try to start it and it wont start. any ideas?

i held the key for about 5 seconds and it was trying to turn over, the engine sounded a little less turbulant but still nothing. i pulled the key out went to start it again, when i turned the key to let the fuel pump prime, the fuel pump started making a wierd noise as if it wasnt getting grounded. the lights on my guage cluster also started flickering, along with a slight bouncing of the thermostat needle.
when i turn the key the car dies. i just got the battery recharged yesterday.
the only thing that changed since the video is i switched around the 2 and 4 wires.

any suggestions?

also, i did not install the trans mount that goes on the front of the transmission, could this be causing grounding problems?

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=vf8b37&s=5
video^

Scotsman
01-25-2012, 07:52 PM
timing

Go_Fast
01-25-2012, 08:01 PM
timing

thanks ill look into the timing more.

silversol
01-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Check the firing order first, make sure you dont have the wires wrong, on a honda the firing order is 1=3=4=2

Go_Fast
01-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Check the firing order first, make sure you dont have the wires wrong, on a honda the firing order is 1=3=4=2

i went and tried this firing order, i had 1-3-2-4 before. the motor still didnt start. i held the key for about 5 seconds and it was trying to turn over, the engine sounded a little less turbulant but still nothing. i pulled the key out went to start it again, when i turned the key to let the fuel pump prime, the fuel pump started making a wierd noise as if it wasnt getting grounded. the lights on my guage cluster also started flickering, along with a slight bouncing of the thermostat needle.
when i turn the key the car dies. i just got the battery recharged yesterday.
the only thing that changed since the video is i switched around the 2 and 4 wires.

any suggestions?

also, i did not install the trans mount that goes on the front of the transmission, could this be causing grounding problems?

dirk-diggler
01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
check all ya grounds

Go_Fast
01-26-2012, 09:35 PM
check all ya grounds

i have the ground wire on the valve cover, on the tranny, and by the coolant temp sensor.. am i missing anything?

green91
01-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Yep the one going to the battery, especially if its had the terminals replaced. i've seen the cheapo autozone clamp on terminals cause MANY problems