PDA

View Full Version : How bad are the cops around here for tint?

DatacomGuy
01-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Having just moved here from Florida, I have no idea how bad the cops are here for tint.

Can I get away with pretty dark tint? Can I get pulled over just for tint?

I had pretty damn dark on my Jeep in Tampa. Roughly 10% I believe. Was that way when i bought the truck. Never had a problem. I have two new vehicles that need tint and would like to do the same.. but figured i'd ask before i just went out and did it.

Secondary question.. any good recommendations of places to go in Gwinnett? I'm in Buford, but can go anywhere along 85 without issue..

thepolecat
01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Depends on where you are and at what time. I have 20% but I have not had any issues. But I am also never in a place that they might want to get me. technically they can pull you over for it. just be polite about it.

Brett
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
I had 5% for years and never had any issues

DynamicSound
01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Just depends on the individual cop. I have gotten 2 tickets on my G35 with 5% and I have gotten 2 tickets on my A4 with 20%/50% windshield. Some cops care, some do not. If you do not want the risk, stick to 35%.

Also check us out for window tint... http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?322706-Window-Tinting-Perfect-Quality-Lowest-Prices-Any-Shades-Available

gottraction?
01-24-2012, 03:05 PM
i say just go with 35 percent. and dont tint the front window. It will get you pulled eventually.

DatacomGuy
01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't want the front.. hard enough to see sometimes in buford.

35 is like a fish bowl. :(

Are they fix-a-tickets? Or not? We had fix-a-tickets in Fla, where you paid $9 after you proved that the tint was removed. That'd be the worst part of getting the ticket.

Is there a 25%? Stupid question?

DynamicSound
01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
You can go to court and show the window tint is removed and you will have to pay court cost. That ranges from $15-$40 depending on where it is. I did that in Doraville for my G35 and paid $35 versus the $140 fine.

Some places might offer 25%, but normally no. You would have to call around. Plus remember that the % will drop 2-3% once applied to your vehicle with the natural 70%.

allmotor-teg
01-24-2012, 03:17 PM
it depends if the cop wants to give you a ticket because i know couple of people that havent gotten in trouble and some have.

thesammy
01-24-2012, 03:29 PM
20% here, and no problems. I'm on the other side of 285 though. I think 20% is about as dark as you can get away with without any cops really noticing. But 35% is the easiest way to avoid any chances...

silversol
01-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I lived in gwinnett and had 20% I got several tint tickets!

Browning151
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
I've had 5% on my Z71 since I bought it never had any problems (knock on wood), had 20% on my Mustang and got pulled over for it by GSP. Really just depends on if you come across a cop that's in the mood to write a ticket.

00 blk G20t
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah, it will get you pulled over eventually. I have 20% and have gotten 2 tickets over 4 years with this car.The first was over in Gwinett and was cheap 50$ ticket. The next was in sandy springs and was also with a speeding ticket. Just the tint portion of the ticket was like 350$ or something like that. Gotta pay to play i guess. The sandy springs cop was a real dick saying "I was endangering his life by having tint on my car." seriously?????

CptWitwiki
01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
i had 14-15 on several of my cars and only had one cop say something about it. and all he did was give me a warning but i have never been pulled over for just tint, the one cop was pulling me over for speeding anyway. and i think he was profiling bc i was in a bright orange lowered honda.

Bacon
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Georgia state law is 32% give or take 3%.

Munky
01-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I recommend dynamic sound off jimmy carter. I went with the carbon tinting on my integra. Great price and very reliable service. Oh and lifetime warranty

Sinfix_15
01-25-2012, 01:18 AM
i always get 15%, never had a ticket on any car.

PEST
01-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Last year alone I had 6 different tint tickets. I'm running 10% all the way around except the windshield. Never had issues when I was running 20% even had one of the LEO's that pulled me over suggest to step it up to 20%. It's funny because when I lived in Norcross, where crime is higher, the cops never pulled me over for tint. Even if I got stopped they never even mentioned or looked at my tint. I guess Buford officers just have more time on their hands to enforce petty laws.

green91
01-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Ive gotten several tickets for 20% in various vehicles..
1 Duluth PD on Pleasant Hill
2 in Gainesville ga by gcpd
1 in forsyth by gsp
1 in dawsonville by gsp
and 2 in pendergrass by pendergrass pd

so yes they will write tickets. Now all my shit is legal. tired of giving away money

Benefit
01-25-2012, 02:34 PM
i got a ticket for my carbon tint, it was 20% , registered as 16%....350$

98blackcivic
01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
my sisters car is like 1 step above or below illegal
she gets pulled over all the time...and each cop is disappointed to find out theyve wasted their time..
so it all really depends on the cop
some do, some dont..but expect to be pulled over!

geoff
01-28-2012, 02:16 AM
i live right by the mall of georgia....30% tint....i get pulled over constantly and ticketed...i actually have a nice collection...just pay the damn thing its only like $40

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 05:23 AM
20% I just roll my windows down when I see 12 creeping. They can't ticket u for having ur window rolled down. I've done this in the rain also. Clay Ko will pull u over 4 being dark skin or wearing a hat! No bs! Depends on the area!

DatacomGuy
01-28-2012, 10:01 AM
i live right by the mall of georgia....30% tint....i get pulled over constantly and ticketed...i actually have a nice collection...just pay the damn thing its only like $40

Crap, that's where i'm at too. Grr. Seriously, they harass you over 30%???

Bacon
01-28-2012, 10:07 AM
20% I just roll my windows down when I see 12 creeping. They can't ticket u for having ur window rolled down. I've done this in the rain also. Clay Ko will pull u over 4 being dark skin or wearing a hat! No bs! Depends on the area!

Please, for future reference, don't give advice again. Yes they can pull you over if your window is down. Do you only tint your driver window? Makes no sense. As for Clayton County pulling you over for being "dark-skinned" or "wearing a hat" that is false. Clayton County police are not as bad as most people make the assumption of.

Sent from my Thunderbolt 4G using Tapatalk.

Bacon
01-28-2012, 10:09 AM
OP, just get 35% tint and run with that. Plenty dark enough to do what it needs to do without the harassment. When I had my svt focus tinted, they put a sticker in my door jamb stating the shop name, tint %, and warranty info. Not sure if other places do that but it may help if you get pulled over.

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Please, for future reference, don't give advice again. Yes they can pull you over if your window is down. Do you only tint your driver window? Makes no sense. As for Clayton County pulling you over for being "dark-skinned" or "wearing a hat" that is false. Clayton County police are not as bad as most people make the assumption of.

That's cause u not dark skinned or get targeted by the cops for wearing particular types of clothing, and drive a particular car. And it's plenty of times I rolled down both driver and passenger windows and they let me pass. I've done it before they noticed how dark my tint is! I'm pretty sure others has done the same thing! I'm not the 1st. Do u live in a subdivision where they do constant road blocks in front of your house and around your subdivision? I'm assuming no! Snap back into reality! You haven't experience half the shit I experience in Clay Co! Want me to email you a police report of them pulling me over cause of a tail light, which was functioning. Just so they could retain procession of my firearm, that was registered under my name! U haven't experience half the shit I experience here. So, why comment? I'm speaking from experience. The color of your skin allows you to have a pass! Remember that! Racism still runs rampant. Especially in Clay Co! And especially in there police department! When I made my statement I made my statements from personal experience! Not from my opinion. Where do you stay? What is the color of your skin? I only have this problem in Clay Co and no where else. I'm pretty sure others of my same skin color feels the same way or had the same experience! And you're rite, they can still pull u over if your windows are rolled down! But I've rolled them down and gotten away from a lot of harassment from doing so. Just do it b4 they notice how dark ur tint is. Its a hit or miss! I didn't put a guarantee behind! So stop speaking out the side of your neck! As I said before it depends on the area and the officer. Keep this in mind.
Just because you don't experience racism the same way I do. Why be so quick to comment? It still exist here and all over! Just off riverdale rd during the holidays they did operation Christmas sweep. Doing rd blocks, constant checks, and pull overs for every absurd reason they could find. And this area is predominantly African American, Asian, and Latino. It was on the news. Do you have to go thru that bs where u stay? He'll naw! Cause you don't live here. I do! So pls when you reply do your research? I'm not trying to upset you. Just thoroughly research the facts. We come from 2 different black grounds! So our opinions will differ, substantially!

My tint is 20% if your curious and I drive a RSX. No ricey here!

Don't get mad, get glad! Turn your frown upside down!

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 12:17 PM
OP, just get 35% tint and run with that. Plenty dark enough to do what it needs to do without the harassment. When I had my svt focus tinted, they put a sticker in my door jamb stating the shop name, tint %, and warranty info. Not sure if other places do that but it may help if you get pulled over.

Most patrolmen carry a tint sheet of paper with legality of tint on it and match it up to ur tint! That door jam sticker and % wouldn't mean diddly if it doesn't match their tint sheet! My brothers a cop. I know, cause he carries one on him. But he rarely uses it! There required to have one during a traffic stop! If the offender is being pulled over for a tint violation!

Bacon
01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
You speak like you know me? Wanna know where I grew up? Kendrick Road. I've lived in Clayton County most of my life so you ain't telling me nothing I don't know. Just because I currently live in McDonough doesn't mean shit. I don't get targeted for my clothing because I don't give the local authorities a reason to pull me over. You say I haven't experienced half the shit you have. Probably right, but I have experienced enough to know. Skin color has nothing to do with anything. As for road blocks, Henry County has plenty of road blocks but not as many as Clayton simply because they don't need to have them as often. Ever tried moving to a different location? May help you. I get looked at all the time when I am on the bike because of how my bike is set up but never get pulled over because I don't give them a reason to pull me over.

BTW, I have been pulled over in certain places of Clayton County because of being white by both white and black officers and have been told by them that white people usually don't come into those areas. Preaching to the choir, man.

Wanna continue this conversation? Call me out in your own thread or something and stop thread jacking.

quickdodgeŽ
01-28-2012, 12:36 PM
The sandy springs cop was a real dick saying "I was endangering his life by having tint on my car." seriously?????

Yes. Seriously. Think about it, man. That officer had no idea who was in the car when he pulled you over. For all knows, you're a man on the run for whatever reason. He had know idea whether or not you're on the other side of that glass with a gun aimed at him.

and i think he was profiling bc i was in a bright orange lowered honda.

Lolol. The speeding part probably had nothing to do with it. Later, QD.

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Kendrick Rd ain't Riverdale Rd. It's a big difference! Just drop it dawg! It's pointless to continue this conversation with you! I just wanna pop, lock, and drop it! Let's get back on topic! If I offend u, my bad! Maybe we can be friends! Seriously! I'm not trying to anger u! But it's seems like u take offense to everything I say! Even when I'm trying to be neutral!

Austin?
01-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Look like bacon's in love with you because He following you like dog. Lol

dc5-rsx
You speak like you know me? Wanna know where I grew up? Kendrick Road. I've lived in Clayton County most of my life so you ain't telling me nothing I don't know. Just because I currently live in McDonough doesn't mean shit. I don't get targeted for my clothing because I don't give the local authorities a reason to pull me over. You say I haven't experienced half the shit you have. Probably right, but I have experienced enough to know. Skin color has nothing to do with anything. As for road blocks, Henry County has plenty of road blocks but not as many as Clayton simply because they don't need to have them as often. Ever tried moving to a different location? May help you. I get looked at all the time when I am on the bike because of how my bike is set up but never get pulled over because I don't give them a reason to pull me over.

BTW, I have been pulled over in certain places of Clayton County because of being white by both white and black officers and have been told by them that white people usually don't come into those areas. Preaching to the choir, man.

Wanna continue this conversation? Call me out in your own thread or something and stop thread jacking.

Had my bike for 2 years and I can honestly say that's the only vehicle I've driven that's hasn't gotten me pulled over.
I doubt I would stop for the coppers anyway! College Park is my comfort zone! I love it here! Regardless of how I'm treated.

dc5-rsx
Look like bacon's in love with you because I following you like dog. Lol

Like a nutt 2 a butt!!! Lol

Bacon
01-28-2012, 12:57 PM
I doubt I would stop for the coppers anyway......

And it's dumb ass people like you who do stupid shit like this and give the rest of us bikers a bad profile for the cops to focus on. #facepalm

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 01:09 PM
And it's dumb ass people like you who do stupid shit like this and give the rest of us bikers a bad profile for the cops to focus on. #facepalm

Let me retract my statement. I would do the rite thing and stop! Damn u are really sensitive!!! Bacon u must really have a problem with me! Have u ever taken your bike over the speed limit Mr. Sensitive? I'm pretty sure u have! So why are u attacking my comments? Love is a 2 way street! Na, na, na!!!

geoff
01-28-2012, 01:10 PM
cops around the mall suck....but i also have tinted tail lights so that may be why they always pull me over lol

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 01:12 PM
cops around the mall suck....but i also have tinted tail lights so that may be why they always pull me over lol

A friend of mind with a o4 blu Si got his car impounded for that. Happen in Gwinnett

Bacon
01-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Let me retract my statement. I would do the rite thing and stop! Damn u are really sensitive!!! Bacon u must really have a problem with me! Have u ever taken your bike over the speed limit Mr. Sensitive? I'm pretty sure u have! So why are u attacking my comments? Love is a 2 way street! Na, na, na!!!

Can I assume you are referring to triple digit speeds? If so, actually I have not. My normal cruizing speed is about 75-80 on the freeway and give or take 3-5 over or under on surface streets.

I don't have a personal problem with you but some of your posts make you sound like a retard.

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 01:23 PM
As I'm trying to refrain from starting a online battle with you! I apologize, I didn't know you were pregnant and your hormones were raging!

Bacon
01-28-2012, 01:28 PM
As I'm trying to refrain from starting a online battle with you! I apologize, I didn't know you were pregnant and your hormones were raging!

My wife is pregnant, not me. Thanks for asking though.

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 01:35 PM
My wife is pregnant, not me. Thanks for asking though.

Congratulations!!! Seriously, from a father 2 a father! Can't we all just get along? Do it fo the kidz!

Bacon
01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a son that's about to be four. Nothing new.

WhiteAccord
01-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Im exempt from this law.

dc5-rsx
01-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Im exempt from this law.

No tints I presume.

PTCDC5
01-29-2012, 11:45 AM
No tints I presume.
He could have a medically documented sensitivity to light or is in law enforcement. The absence of tint would not exempt him from the law; he would still be accountable for compliance, but it would not be applicable.

DynamicSound
01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Just FYI, the roll down your window thing only reduces your chances, not eliminate them. You can't roll down your rear window and the cop sees it is darker than 32% (cars only), they may pull you over. On top of that, some are carrying a 2 piece unit to read the darkness of your tint instead of the traditional unit that slides over the edge of the window. So they can measure your windshield and rear window.

RL...
01-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Back when I had 5% tint there were times where I wouldn't get a ticket for 1 year, and times where I would get 2 in 1 month. Just depends on a variety of factors but if you're worried about police attention just stick to 35%. The hassle isn't worth it to me anymore, they just treat you like shit because they make 30K a year.

dc5-rsx
01-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Just FYI, the roll down your window thing only reduces your chances, not eliminate them. You can't roll down your rear window and the cop sees it is darker than 32% (cars only), they may pull you over. On top of that, some are carrying a 2 piece unit to read the darkness of your tint instead of the traditional unit that slides over the edge of the window. So they can measure your windshield and rear window.

FTP!!!!!

Tru, but most cops wont fuck with u if they can see inside the vehicle. Even if ur rear window is tinted dark and beyond the law, stating this from my own personal experience. Most 4 door vehicles rear windows cum tinted from the factory.
But your rite just 32% that bitch and avoid the harassment all together. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Preventive action!

But I need a quote for my rear window on my RSX???

quickdodgeŽ
01-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Most 4 door vehicles rear windows cum tinted from the factory.

Like what? I've never seen one. And I've been driving for almost 20 years. Later, QD.

dc5-rsx
01-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Like what? I've never seen one. And I've been driving for almost 20 years. Later, QD.

05 Toyota Sequioa, 99 Toyota 4Runner. Retract previous statement, let me clarify. Most family size 4 door trucks! My ppl own both. It came from the factory tinted, rear windows only. Front driver and passenger are un tinted.

quickdodgeŽ
01-30-2012, 10:32 AM
05 Toyota Sequioa, 99 Toyota 4Runner. Retract previous statement, let me clarify. Most family size 4 door trucks! My ppl own both. It came from the factory tinted, rear windows only. Front driver and passenger are un tinted.

Ahh, gotcha. Trucks/SUVs/vans, yes. And on SUVs and vans, the side windows (excluding driver/passenger doors) are also tinted. Later, QD.

PTCDC5
01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
FTP!!!!!

Tru, but most cops wont fuck with u if they can see inside the vehicle. Even if ur rear window is tinted dark and beyond the law, stating this from my own personal experience. Most 4 door vehicles rear windows cum tinted from the factory.
But your rite just 32% that bitch and avoid the harassment all together. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Preventive action!

But I need a quote for my rear window on my RSX???
You have 3 options for your back window due to the large dot matrix, some or all options may be available to you depending on the skill/professionalism of your tinter.
1. Nothing special. The tint will not adhere to the top 6" of the back glass or will adhere non-uniformly. This looks terrible and is the worst choice, but cheap tinters will leave it like this to make a quick buck.
2. Glue method. Relatively recently we have started using clear stationary glue in the tint world to fill in the space between the glass and the film and promote adhesion on in the matrix area. This method is my favorite because when done properly the film adheres perfectly and the window looks seamless from top to bottom. This takes extra time and skill, so it costs a bit more money.
3. Vinyl blackout. Some tinters prefer to simply cut a piece of black vinyl and piece it atop the window, covering the matrix. This looks better than doing nothing, but does contrast with a legal percentage film.

VeeTec
01-31-2012, 07:02 AM
Stay away from Snellville if you have darker than legal tint, they will pull you over. I have 32%, just don't care to get pulled over. Was pulled over twice in Snellville, back when I had 15% on a previous car. If you have a medical condition where bright sunlight can cause issues, vision, headaches, etc, you can get a doctors note to excuse you from the law, but you have to apply for a permit with the doctors letter.

DynamicSound
01-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Yep, all SUV's, Trucks, Vans, Crossovers, Limos, Buses, etc are exempt from the tint law. Only the two front windows are required to be no lower than 32%...the rear can be painted black if you want. Stock tint on those vehicles are around 20%.

dc5-rsx
02-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Stay away from Snellville if you have darker than legal tint, they will pull you over. I have 32%, just don't care to get pulled over. Was pulled over twice in Snellville, back when I had 15% on a previous car. If you have a medical condition where bright sunlight can cause issues, vision, headaches, etc, you can get a doctors note to excuse you from the law, but you have to apply for a permit with the doctors letter.

Can I get a doctor's excuse if Mary Jane was sitting in the car with me also? We not in California.
Didn't know you could get a doctors excuse for tint. I'ma look into this. Thanx

Bacon
02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Can I get a doctor's excuse if Mary Jane was sitting in the car with me also? We not in California.
Didn't know you could get a doctors excuse for tint. I'ma look into this. Thanx

Yes you can have a prescription to legally possess marijuana.