PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Turbo setup HELP MEEEE

Munky
01-18-2012, 07:04 AM
I would like everyones opinion and yes that includes the ALL MOTOR people lol but what would be a decent turbo set up for the right price, and right now money is an issue. Have hospital bills from surgeries and school to pay for so can i get everyones opinion please.

This is for my B18b1 or my d16z6

thank you for your help :D

Munky
01-18-2012, 07:05 AM
ohh and btw i honestly just need everything other than PIPING and INTERCOOLER lol

Bacon
01-18-2012, 07:11 AM
As mentioned previously, the 2871R or 2860RS would do good for what you are looking for.

As for my turbo setup, I will be running a log manifold feeding a Disco Potato ( i will be using the internal wastegate ) 3" downpipe back, custom IC piping feeding into a PWR intercooler. Only gonna run 6-7psi.

ballchinian
01-18-2012, 07:24 AM
just get an ebay set up. i made 350 @14psi bone stock b18a1 bottom end, type r head with b16cams.
also made 270 @ 12psi stcko b20. dont spend money u dont have too. if anything ebay it, and get a nice wastegate, and blow off.

Bacon
01-18-2012, 07:30 AM
You get what you pay for with eBay.

ballchinian
01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
true, but i have yet to have one mess up with beating the mess out of it everyday. it dont really matter shit can always randomly fail,

Munky
01-18-2012, 07:40 AM
any suggestions on some good ebay kits? or how about XSPOWER? or GODSPEED?

Bacon
01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
XS Power, Garrett, and Precision are all good choices.

RandomGuy
01-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I'd just get a log style cast iron manifold and a junkyard t3 from like a volvo or saab (.42/.48 a/r's)
get a p28 if you don't have one, chrome and some injectors and junkyard resistor box.
Ebay piping, IC, BOV, and exhaust and you're good. I know people who have gotten away with all of this for under 500 bucks. Of course a crappy probably build won't last long and you'll have to learn it all on your own- well worth it IMO. No one is going to post up a how to step by step for specifically you and what you're looking for.

If it's your first time I'd say 700-1k for a budget build.

T34me
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=ballchinian;39355551]just get an ebay set up.QUOTE]
worst advice ever. You may be one of the lucky ones for your shit not to tank, but talking from experience and im sure 98% of others on this site would agree not to go that route. Why do you think the generic turbos on ebay are so cheap....if your going to get turbo off ebay, get a quality brand, or wait for PRIVATE seller to let a legit one go for cheap.

Munky
01-19-2012, 08:28 AM
can anyone refer me to a decent kit, i have the piping and intercooler and manifold SSQ BOV and wastegate, all i would need is the turbo, downpipe and oil lines

so anyone know where i could get those last three?

Bacon
01-19-2012, 09:23 AM
www.atpturbo.com

This site has a lot of useful parts. Get whatever flange you need for the turbine side of the turbo you choose and have someone like Mainstream or Turbo Dave fab you a downpipe. As for a turbo, PM Emmino and ask him about his turbo. Oil lines can be had at the link above.

Munky
01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Muchas Gracias Senior Bacon

Bacon
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Not a problem.

Dylan
01-19-2012, 09:52 PM
true, but i have yet to have one mess up with beating the mess out of it everyday. it dont really matter shit can always randomly fail,

That's retarded..You always get what you pay for. When you boost your car you do not want to take the cheapest route, you've got to pay to play!

HeyItsSkeero
01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
can anyone refer me to a decent kit, i have the piping and intercooler and manifold SSQ BOV and wastegate, all i would need is the turbo, downpipe and oil lines

so anyone know where i could get those last three?

http://go-autoworks-store.com/tuac.html

Or if you have a hydraulic shop close to you go there instead. It's a lot cheaper for them to build you oil lines than it is to buy them. Take the turbo with you so they can give you the correct fitting for it.

Also, you might should think about getting some ARP headstuds. It's a good investment.

Now for a turbo. If you're wanting to go big numbers, look at some holset turbos. You'll either find a rebuilt one or one that needs to be rebuilt but they're good turbos for making some good power for cheap.

http://go-autoworks-store.com/gosptubybupo.html This is also a very good turbo and I think you'll be happy with it.

If you decide to order anything from Go-Autoworks call and talk to the owner he's been extremely helpful to me. As he built my manifold, downpipe, intercooler piping, sold me my turbo wastegate bov radiator, fan, fan shroud, and a few other things also. He's a great guy.

If you have any other questions I'll try to help you. But make sure you don't cheap out on stock head bolts. Even if you pick up a used set of ARP head studs it'll be better than your stock headstuds.

HeyItsSkeero
01-20-2012, 04:44 PM
just get an ebay set up. i made 350 @14psi bone stock b18a1 bottom end, type r head with b16cams.
also made 270 @ 12psi stcko b20. dont spend money u dont have too. if anything ebay it, and get a nice wastegate, and blow off.

Why spend money on shit that's going to break? Do it right the first time. Whats the matter saving up a few weeks longer for a quality manifold, and turbo? Some people do get extremely lucky with their ebay parts though. If you have good luck keep doing it, but the quality I've seen is nothing compared to other designs.

allmotor-teg
01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
i am going to share my opinion with you, i had an ls car with stock ls motor i wanted to do an lsvtec and i had 2 options either build it cheap and cut corners and waste my time and the small investment or save up and do it right the first time, i decided to go the smart route and do it right since the begining yes i spent more then what it would have cost me if i would have gone the other route but i did it right and i cant conplaint one bit the car has almost new everything but i think it was way worth it, now i want the GC koni shocks suspension but i cant afford one right now so i am saving little by little and then dont have to worry about ohh shit this ebay or no name part breaking on me.

maybe you dont care about what i just said but i wanted to share.

Daulton
01-20-2012, 05:33 PM
for the price you cant beat a ebay kit. downside is yes you are getting what your paying for with it though.

Dylan
01-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Ebay= low quality cheap Shit everytime.. if you want to be stubborn, try it yourself and see what happens :2cents:

Munky
01-20-2012, 08:09 PM
http://go-autoworks-store.com/tuac.html

Or if you have a hydraulic shop close to you go there instead. It's a lot cheaper for them to build you oil lines than it is to buy them. Take the turbo with you so they can give you the correct fitting for it.

Also, you might should think about getting some ARP headstuds. It's a good investment.

Now for a turbo. If you're wanting to go big numbers, look at some holset turbos. You'll either find a rebuilt one or one that needs to be rebuilt but they're good turbos for making some good power for cheap.

http://go-autoworks-store.com/gosptubybupo.html This is also a very good turbo and I think you'll be happy with it.

If you decide to order anything from Go-Autoworks call and talk to the owner he's been extremely helpful to me. As he built my manifold, downpipe, intercooler piping, sold me my turbo wastegate bov radiator, fan, fan shroud, and a few other things also. He's a great guy.

If you have any other questions I'll try to help you. But make sure you don't cheap out on stock head bolts. Even if you pick up a used set of ARP head studs it'll be better than your stock headstuds.

This was very helpful with my decision and i appreciate it every much

Munky
01-20-2012, 08:13 PM
i am going to share my opinion with you, i had an ls car with stock ls motor i wanted to do an lsvtec and i had 2 options either build it cheap and cut corners and waste my time and the small investment or save up and do it right the first time, i decided to go the smart route and do it right since the begining yes i spent more then what it would have cost me if i would have gone the other route but i did it right and i cant conplaint one bit the car has almost new everything but i think it was way worth it, now i want the GC koni shocks suspension but i cant afford one right now so i am saving little by little and then dont have to worry about ohh shit this ebay or no name part breaking on me.

maybe you dont care about what i just said but i wanted to share.

im gonna take your advice and save up some cash, im in no rush to blow and waste money when it could go to a nice healthy build

allmotor-teg
01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
im gonna take your advice and save up some cash, im in no rush to blow and waste money when it could go to a nice healthy build

yea man that is the smart way about everything specially a motor just take your time buy quality parts and i know it will pay off in the long run.

HeyItsSkeero
01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
You'll really thank yourself and your pocket later.. I ran part store radiator hoses, and radiator.. My old motor overheated way to damn much, and a hose popped one day.. I couldn't build more than 2 pounds, and could barely make it up my driveway.

If you cheap out you're going to regret it later, I lost a motor to something as cheap as mishimoto hoses and radiator.

Though I will admit I did run an eBay turbo but that was only b/c my garret was a 50 trim and the ebay was 57.. lol.

But the link to the specific turbo I posted for you I'm positive you'd be more than happy with it on an ls or even a single jingle.

There is a guy on Honda-Tech "TheShodan" if you want a technical ass reply about what turbo would probably be best for you PM him.

But I defiantly reccomend talking to Go-Auto about prices and a package.

Also you need to think about what you want to do with the car. Do you want more top end power? (Probably not on stock LS rods and rod bolts) Or more low end power. Depending on how much power you're willing to settle for (How much you want to makes a different story.. Costs a lot more $$ and race gas lol) and what type of runs you're trying to get in.. B/c it's defiantly for the track...... ;] Logs are going to give you more low end power, and ramhorns / top mount are going to give more midrange top end.

Munky
01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
honeslt the most i want is 300hp on the max 10psi so i guess with those specs any other suggest... everyones input is helping me out so much. i do get a nice refund next week so if anyone wants to help me pick a kit and wanna meet up and help me install...well shoot im down for making new buddies and having a good time

Munky
01-21-2012, 01:40 PM
but let me say anything from 250-300 would be perfect for me.

HeyItsSkeero
01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
What exactly are you needing?

Do you have ECU tuning software? I reccomend s300.. But smaller budget I'd go with neptune. Wouldn't trust crome on a beater car..

Munky
01-21-2012, 01:48 PM
i have two sets of piping, i have two intercoolers, i have two different b series manifolds both cast iron but one is for internal wastegate and the other is for external, i have jdm sport couplings and t clamps so all i need are the following

TURBO
DOWNPIPE
OIL LINES

I do have an s100 but was looking to upgrade. ill look into Neptune because i have gotten mixed reviews of Crome

HeyItsSkeero
01-21-2012, 01:53 PM
If you talk to Greg he might advise a different turbo. But no matter where you buy CALL and ask if they can give a better price..

http://go-autoworks-store.com/gocairbsedot.html

http://go-autoworks-store.com/gosptubybupo.html

http://go-autoworks-store.com/ti38was.html

http://go-autoworks-store.com/hksssqbloffv.html Blow off valves to me are really about which sound I like. Tials don't sound good until 20+ Psi. If you like REALLLY loud BOV's. TurboXs has the RFL.. And it stands true to it's name, really fucking loud..

And though it's not on his site I'd ask about ARP head studs, and I'd also ask about if he had any used turbo parts laying around... I like used prices a whole lot more. You might be able to find a used Tial 38mm with ease, or a good BOV with ease. I'd buy the turbo new though just for reassurance.

I also have a 5 bolt flange with a tiny amount of down piping starting off. If you want it PM me your name and addy and I'll be more than happy to send it off. But yeah go to a maxi or somewhere and have them add onto it..

HeyItsSkeero
01-21-2012, 01:57 PM
I just started replying and didn't wait lol

I have a flange you can have
Oil lines take the turbo once you get one to a Hydraulic shop they sells fittings and have them make it. They made me a fuel feed line, a new turbo line, a new turbo drain line.. Not gonna lie a lot cheaper than buying a kit from anywhere online..
Turbo I'd choose the one above.

I'd ask whoever tunes your car which are they best with, Hondata, neptune, AEM or whatver. If I were you I'd stick with s100 unless you can upgrade cheap to s300

Munky
01-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I have both a HKS SSQ and a RFL laying around brand new, i havent decided which to use. i also have a xspower wastegate. haha well if you want shoot me a text and we can talk more. i really appreciate all the help so much

Munky
01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
oops forgot my number 7708155498

HeyItsSkeero
01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Do you have i/c piping with either flange already on? I sold my RFL b/c I didn't like how loud it was, but if you're in the market to sell it I have a friend looking to upgrade from his eBay bov. I'd use whichever BOV already has a flange with i/c piping on it. It'll be one less thing you have to spend money for

http://www.hydraulic-supply.com/html/location/norcross.htm

They can build you the oil lines and will have the fittings for the turbo as well. They should even be able to weld the fitting into the oil pan for you also. This is the SAME place I go to, but just in Chattanooga.. lol. They brazed my fitting onto my fuel feed spot so I could just screw the line on.. I had a shit tons of problems just sliding it on and clamping it no matter what I did it'd still spew fuel out.

Also do you have injectors and a fuel pump? Not that you'll need a fuel pump this big but walboro makes a bad ass 400LPH fuel pump now. And I'd reccomend injector dynamics. I ran 1000's even with a 50 and 57 trim on 12.5 pounds of boost. They just hold such a good idle even if you're street tuning it yourself. Imo best set of injectors on the market. And it's always a good idea to go bigger on your fuel set up just in case you decide to upgrade later like I did. It's the only thing I didn't have to buy twice except my ITR cams.. lol.

I'll text you later tonight or tomorrow some time.

Jdm94Coupe
01-21-2012, 03:15 PM
I got a feed and a drain for you...... Text me....404 934 1594

Here is the drain..... http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/Jdm94Coupe/IMG_20111230_112853.jpg

Here is the feed, if u can see it...... http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/Jdm94Coupe/Hatch/DSC01478.jpg

iDriftATL
02-12-2012, 12:32 AM
I would suggest get the best injectors and piggyback or standalone that you can afford, that way if you decide to start with a smaller turbo now you can upgrade and have the fuel and tuning capabilities readily available. Going turbo never stays within a budget we always end up spending more than we want. Turbos can easily be bolted on and off so I would focus more on making sure your fuel setup is just right with room to grow.