PDA

View Full Version : I FOUND AN AWSOME DEAL. SHOULD I GET IT???

1blckss
01-12-2012, 07:54 PM
I have a buddy of mine that wants to get rid of his 2006 gsxr600 for $500 bucks. It has a vin but he ran it at the police station and it said it had a lein on it. it has no plastics but a tank and tail and an original speedo with 3k on it. I want to make it into a track bike(i'm 15 min from road atl) but not sure if its worth it. Should I get it or no? I really want to start racing but I don't want to kill my pocket starting out.

Subleg4
01-12-2012, 08:06 PM
If you don't buy it let me know so I can, if you do buy it let me know so you can buy my 1 piece leather racing suit!

David88vert
01-13-2012, 05:37 AM
It's simple as this. If you buy it, with no intention of the lien being paid off, then you will be opening yourself up to possible legal issues later.

First, the bank will try to repossess it. They still own the title, and could make the case that the bike is stolen property if they establish that the purchaser made a choice to actively keep it away from repossession. That then could open you up to the charge of receiving stolen property, and, since the bike's true market value is over $500, that is a felony charge that carries a 5yr penalty.

Additionally, since you posted about it, and nothing on the web is truely ever deleted, if they found this post, and saw that you had prior knowledge, they would easily get a conviction.

Based upon that, I would suggest that you think about the possible consequences and risks and see if that balances out with the possible gains. Since you even asked the question, I will not bother delving into moral or ethical issues.

Bacon
01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
How much is left to pay on it? If it's worth paying off the lien to the bank, get it legitimately.

Scotsman
01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
It's simple as this. If you buy it, with no intention of the lien being paid off, then you will be opening yourself up to possible legal issues later.

First, the bank will try to repossess it. They still own the title, and could make the case that the bike is stolen property if they establish that the purchaser made a choice to actively keep it away from repossession. That then could open you up to the charge of receiving stolen property, and, since the bike's true market value is over $500, that is a felony charge that carries a 5yr penalty.

Additionally, since you posted about it, and nothing on the web is truely ever deleted, if they found this post, and saw that you had prior knowledge, they would easily get a conviction.

Based upon that, I would suggest that you think about the possible consequences and risks and see if that balances out with the possible gains. Since you even asked the question, I will not bother delving into moral or ethical issues.quoted so hopefully you will read it again

1blckss
01-13-2012, 03:50 PM

Based upon that, I would suggest that you think about the possible consequences and risks and see if that balances out with the possible gains. Since you even asked the question, I will not bother delving into moral or ethical issues.

I had no clue that those could be the possible consequences, but it does make complete sense. why can't you just scratch the vin off and presto! I've known other guys that have bought bikes with no vin and with ones that have a lein for racing. I don't know how much pay off is. I could prob find out but I would assume its more than the bikes worth.

David88vert
01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I had no clue that those could be the possible consequences, but it does make complete sense. why can't you just scratch the vin off and presto! I've known other guys that have bought bikes with no vin and with ones that have a lein for racing. I don't know how much pay off is. I could prob find out but I would assume its more than the bikes worth.

Altering a VIN or serial number on a vehicle is against the law.

18 USCS § 2321

TITLE 18. CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I. CRIMES
CHAPTER 113. STOLEN PROPERTY

18 USCS § 2321 (2003)

§ 2321. Trafficking in certain motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts

(a) Whoever buys, receives, possesses, or obtains control of, with intent to sell or otherwise dispose of, a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part, knowing that an identification number for such motor vehicle or part has been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

107 A.L.R.5th 567

In Martin v. State, 160 Ga. App. 275, 287 S.E.2d 244 (1981), the court found that a man who rebuilt and sold a vehicle with parts containing altered or removed VINs knowingly concealed or misrepresented the identity of the vehicle under Ga. Code Ann. § 68-9916(a). Since the Motor Vehicle Certificate of Title Act requires that the certificate of title for any vehicle that has been rebuilt, reconditioned, or remanufactured must so state on the face of the title, and the certificate of title that the man obtained for the vehicle did not disclose on its face that the vehicle had been rebuilt, the court found there was enough evidence to conclude that he knew the vehicle contained an altered or removed VIN.

The court in Ramey v. State, 239 Ga. App. 620, 521 S.E.2d 663 (1999), denied a directed verdict of acquittal when the court found enough circumstantial evidence that the car dealer sold the stolen vehicle knowing it had an altered VIN, which is prohibited under Ga. Code Ann. § 40-4-22(a). Because the car's true VIN was damaged and then concealed, and a false VIN plate applied loosely to the door, changes that a person in the business of buying and selling cars should have noticed, and the VIN stamped on the false plate and used by the dealer for the bill of sale did not match the car and could not have been assigned to that year vehicle, the court found sufficient evidence to show the dealer had guilty knowledge of the altered VIN.

CSquared
01-13-2012, 04:30 PM

Is your friends name somewhere on this bike? As in he is the reason it has a lien? If not, I wouldn't be the lease bit surprised if that shit is stolen, which opens the door to a whole new world of legal issues for you.

Just out of curiosity, because I've always owned my shit straight out, if the person selling this bike does actually "own" it, does the lien fuck with their credit score? Further, won't the lien holder eventually come after them legally? Further further, wouldn't it then be in the current sellers interest just to claim it stolen as opposed to sold? Further further further, wouldn't the current buyer theoretically be fucked if he gets pulled over or any other number of things cause someone to check the vin plates?

Really seems like a lot less risk for the seller as opposed to buyer legally.

Dylan
01-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Is your friends name somewhere on this bike? As in he is the reason it has a lien? If not, I wouldn't be the lease bit surprised if that shit is stolen, which opens the door to a whole new world of legal issues for you.

Just out of curiosity, because I've always owned my shit straight out, if the person selling this bike does actually "own" it, does the lien fuck with their credit score? Further, won't the lien holder eventually come after them legally? Further further, wouldn't it then be in the current sellers interest just to claim it stolen as opposed to sold? Further further further, wouldn't the current buyer theoretically be fucked if he gets pulled over or any other number of things cause someone to check the vin plates?

Really seems like a lot less risk for the seller as opposed to buyer legally.

That's because it's stolen. OP is an idiot, anyone that has common sense would no that the whole situation is bad news.

DynamicSound
01-13-2012, 08:24 PM
That's because it's stolen. OP is an idiot, anyone that has common sense would no that the whole situation is bad news.

x2

JessAlba452
01-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Yep I would definitely think it's stolen. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!

GlennsEK
01-14-2012, 08:12 AM
I would definitely let this deal pass.

AnthonyF
01-14-2012, 08:43 AM

David is correct. There's no legal way to do it. You could get a new frame but like he said, you had prior knowledge of the lien and you still didn't take care of it. Honestly, find a 00-04 cheap track bike and just buy that if you're really looking for a bike. You can find track bikes for pretty cheap.

1blckss
01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
I would definitely let this deal pass.

well he ran the vin at the police station and it did not pull up as stolen. it pulled up as leinholder still owes thats it. I will probably just let it pass i guess because it seems like its more bad news than good and it doesn't seem like something I want to risk. thanks

Scotsman
01-14-2012, 05:29 PM
well he ran the vin at the police station and it did not pull up as stolen. it pulled up as leinholder still owes thats it. I will probably just let it pass i guess because it seems like its more bad news than good and it doesn't seem like something I want to risk. thanksdo you pass through winder?

1blckss
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
do you pass through winder?

im not far from there. i pass through every once in a while to go to a buddys.

Julio
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Lol.. Nice question.