PDA

View Full Version : B Series wont start.

JDBenson
01-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Got an issue with the car. It ran fine twice today. Tried starting it and it would not turn over. The battery is fine and the alternator seems to be fine as well. When I try turning the car over it tries to start but I'm not getting any spark. I pulled the plugs and they had oil over them. Cleaned them with carb cleaner and tried turning it over again and I got a little spark but it would die in a split second, barely hitting 250rpm before trying to turn over. Pulled the plugs back out and they had oil on them again. I'm thinking it is the head gasket. Any thoughts on what might be causing the issue? The motor has been smoking a little. Especially when it is trying to warm up. HELP!

Theycall_Metue
01-12-2012, 02:08 AM
oil on the wire plug side or the inside cylinder side?

die you take your valve cover off before this problem?

Crazydelsol
01-12-2012, 05:06 AM
Change ur valve cover gasket

dc2gs
01-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Most likely your valve cover gasket dude

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 07:40 AM
If its just the valve cover gasket then I'm golden. Thanks. I'm gonna pick one up as soon as I can!

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 07:42 AM
oil on the wire plug side or the inside cylinder side?

die you take your valve cover off before this problem?

The oil is on the spark plug itself, the wires are dry. No I didn't take off the valve cover before this issue.

gerardojdm
01-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Change the valve cover gasket first. After you change it try starting the car again. If you have the same problem then your piston rings are fried.

green91
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
if it ran fine and then all of the sudden quit, its probably not the oil that made it stop running. i've never seen a valve cover gasket suddenly cause all 4 plugs to not spark, nor piston rings. sounds to me more like an ignition issue, possible distributor / ignition coil?

joshk5145
01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
if it ran fine and then all of the sudden quit, its probably not the oil that made it stop running. i've never seen a valve cover gasket suddenly cause all 4 plugs to not spark, nor piston rings. sounds to me more like an ignition issue, possible distributor / ignition coil?

^ This

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah its still having the same issue after I changed the valve cover gasket. If I give it a little gas it will act like its going to spark a bit but it wont turn over. Consensus is distributor/coil then?

green91
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I mean you should definitely pull the dist cap off and look at hte rotor button & contacts in the cap first. But it does sound coil-ish to me.

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Possibly the whole distributor or maybe just the cap/rotor/coil?

green91
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Generally most people replace the entire distributor than just the coil. But you can look at the cap & rotor very easily and they are a cheap fix if thats the cause. The good thing about replacing the entire dizzy is that youre also getting a new tdc and cps sensor, too.

Munky
01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
your for sure best bet is a dizzy coil, ask a buddy with a b series to let you borrow their coil, switch yours out and just check and see, if it works then your have your solution of a new coil :D

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 01:28 PM
your for sure best bet is a dizzy coil, ask a buddy with a b series to let you borrow their coil, switch yours out and just check and see, if it works then your have your solution of a new coil :D

Unfortunately im the only one with a B Series...

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Generally most people replace the entire distributor than just the coil. But you can look at the cap & rotor very easily and they are a cheap fix if thats the cause. The good thing about replacing the entire dizzy is that youre also getting a new tdc and cps sensor, too.

Just looked at the rotor, cap, and coil and there was a little corrosion on the cap and rotor so i cleaned it with some carb cleaner. still giving me the same issue. Just for my own curiosity i opened up the throttle body and the intake manifold was slightly moist... FYI my car does have a rough idle starting up but idles at 1k rpms. after i washed my car yesterday I started it up, had the rough idle, pulled it in the garage and then turned the car off. normally i just let it idle up first but i didn't do that this time. Any other thoughts, suggestions, or rage I should do to the car? lol

jtdb8
01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Is there any oil in the dizzy?

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Is there any oil in the dizzy?

when i pulled the cap off i did not see any oil. do i need to pull the entire dizzy off?

jtdb8
01-12-2012, 02:03 PM
No you don't need to pull the whole thing off.
Now when you say it sparks a little bit someone is cranking the car while you look at the plug? Or You just saying that because it tries to hit a lick when you spin it? What made u replace the pump?

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM
No you don't need to pull the whole thing off.
Now when you say it sparks a little bit someone is cranking the car while you look at the plug? Or You just saying that because it tries to hit a lick when you spin it? What made u replace the pump?

No its just me right now. I try to turn the car over and I see the rpm needle barely move. Pump? I haven't replace any pump on the car...

Theycall_Metue
01-12-2012, 02:10 PM
coil packs are the same between d and b series.
your vtec or non?

jtdb8
01-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Lol sry. Trying to help someone else out too. Ok. You need to pull a plug an see what kind of spark you got there.

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Could it possibly be the spark plug cables as well?

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 02:45 PM
coil packs are the same between d and b series.
your vtec or non?

Si head, VTEC

jtdb8
01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Doubt it. Would be nice to try a dizzy. But you need ti check spark. Pull a wire off the cap see if it sparks. If not pull the cap off unhook the two wires goin to the module an put a test light between the too an if the blinks its the coil.if not its the module.

Theycall_Metue
01-12-2012, 03:27 PM
where you located? i know lawrencevill. how far are you from stars and strike off 316?
if not too far, you can test my gsr distrubitor

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
where you located? i know lawrencevill. how far are you from stars and strike off 316?
if not too far, you can test my gsr distrubitor

I'm actually 5 minutes from there. My buddy is on his way so we can pick up a dizzy. If I wasn't going to be picking it up I would try out yours. I'm very appreciative of the offer.

Theycall_Metue
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
ok, lmk if it falls through. i work at richo so its not a hassle for me.

JDBenson
01-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Still no dice. Installed the new distributor and same issue is occurring. Any thoughts?

jtdb8
01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
You know its firing? You have a check engine light? Is the main relay clicking twice when You switch it on?

green91
01-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Crack open the bleeder screw @ the fuel filter, turn the key to the "on" position and see if you've got fuel.

JDBenson
01-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Crack open the bleeder screw @ the fuel filter, turn the key to the "on" position and see if you've got fuel.

I smell gas every time I try starting it. I have even pulled the plugs and smelled gas on the them.

JDBenson
01-13-2012, 09:17 AM
You know its firing? You have a check engine light? Is the main relay clicking twice when You switch it on?

I do know the firing. The check engine light is off. Yes the relay is also clicking twice.

jtdb8
01-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Check compression then. I know you said you have been having engine trouble.

green91
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Have you changed anything at all on the car lately? Does the engine sound like its turning over faster than normal? Unless your rings have suddenly seized or your timing is off somehow what youve told us so far doesnt make a lot of sense

JDBenson
01-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Have you changed anything at all on the car lately? Does the engine sound like its turning over faster than normal? Unless your rings have suddenly seized or your timing is off somehow what youve told us so far doesnt make a lot of sense

Everything is golden now. My buddy Dan at Firestone on mall of GA boulevard got it working... my driveway slopes downhill so I guess it flooded the engine. He changed the plugs and unflooded the engine which I probably did 20x times and retimed and base timed my distributor. ASE master tech and is honest. I have used him for years. Also redid my fuel since it was way too rich. If you need their number let me know, I will gladly provide it.

green91
01-14-2012, 07:24 AM
So the timing was off?

I'm an ASE Master tech btw

jtdb8
01-14-2012, 08:53 AM
So the timing was off?

Lol. Im not master myself but have several certifications. Im glad You could get someone to look at the care for yoiand its fixed?

spinks
01-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Oil is just the vc gasket its not going to cause the car not to start. The oil should burn up pretty quickly unless you got a lot in your cylinder. Then you might throw a rod. Clean your battery terminals with wd40 and try again. Also try to pull out your fuel pump fuse and put it back in.

green91
01-14-2012, 11:36 AM
:thinking:

did you not read ANY of the thread?

JDBenson
01-15-2012, 11:59 PM
So the timing was off?

The timing was redone by mainstream a couple weeks ago but since I put a new distributor on when the car wouldnt crank I'm sure it was WAY off. Car starts much better. Only problem now is that I gotta put the old dizzy back on so I can get my money back and retime it which I can do.

JDBenson
01-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Lol. Im not master myself but have several certifications. Im glad You could get someone to look at the care for yoiand its fixed?

Fixed and running like a champ. He turned down the fuel pressure which was causing some smoking. Thank you toeveryone who everyone who helped out. Pretty ridiculous that it was such an easy fix that I had to feel like a retard. My buddy told me to not change the plugs against my own wishes but then you learn not to trust Nissan owners... lol jk

jtdb8
01-16-2012, 06:58 AM
you learn not to trust Nissan owners... lol jk

lol