PDA

View Full Version : welding

1 SICK GT
11-29-2005, 10:05 AM
if i jus wanted to tac weld some stainless steel piping so i can take it to someone to do a professional weld what would be the equipment that i would need. i'm working on my intercooler piping

jus trying to be more involved with my project car

Bishop
11-29-2005, 10:17 AM
umm...a mig welder....

HiPSI
11-29-2005, 10:51 AM
does not compute...

are you trying to ask a question or just telling us a random statement?

Jon00
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
^^^read again erin hes asking what does he need to tac weld ex. what kind of welder etc

HiPSI
11-29-2005, 11:03 AM
ahh, punctuation helps things immensely.

any cheap MIG will do the job, although i don't recommend buying a flux-core MIG since it's sloppy as hell and won't really do stainless and actually hold together. any basic MIG that uses a shielding gas will work.

Jon00
11-29-2005, 11:59 AM

any cheap MIG will do the job, although i don't recommend buying a flux-core MIG since it's sloppy as hell and won't really do stainless and actually hold together. any basic MIG that uses a shielding gas will work.

x2

Bishop
11-29-2005, 04:50 PM

Yup, mine is gas or electric. Still havent gotten around to gettting a tank and gas for it. It tac welds ok but thats about it.

Jon00
11-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Yup, mine is gas or electric. Still havent gotten around to gettting a tank and gas for it. It tac welds ok but thats about it.

cuz your dumb ass needs to get a tank of gas and learn how to weld

i want chris's welder

Bishop
11-30-2005, 11:11 AM
cuz your dumb ass needs to get a tank of gas and learn how to weld

i want chris's welder
Im too poor to buy anything right now....and if im buying something, its going in or on my car.

static
11-30-2005, 11:50 AM
if i jus wanted to tac weld some stainless steel piping so i can take it to someone to do a professional weld what would be the equipment that i would need. i'm working on my intercooler piping

jus trying to be more involved with my project car
MIG weld should work fine.

1 SICK GT
12-02-2005, 08:55 AM
thanks for your comments

5thgcelica
12-02-2005, 10:03 AM
yeah you can MIG or TIG it. MIG would be a lot easier and cheaper. make sure you have the right filler wire for the stainles steel though. and you'll definitely want to use .035" or smaller sized wire.

anothaRRR
12-04-2005, 07:58 PM
yeah you can MIG or TIG it. MIG would be a lot easier and cheaper. make sure you have the right filler wire for the stainles steel though. and you'll definitely want to use .035" or smaller sized wire.
You can use wire for mild steel, but I would recommend using wire for stainless, simply so it wont rust, if you use the mild steel wire it will rust unless its painting. But if you are keeping it all stainless just use the stainless wire..

nofive-0
12-04-2005, 10:03 PM
I dont think I would buy a welder just to tack. there are cheaper ways to temporarily hold stuff together. But if you do, stainless wire with very little volts(im assuming your welding piping).

1 SICK GT
12-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I dont think I would buy a welder just to tack. there are cheaper ways to temporarily hold stuff together. But if you do, stainless wire with very little volts(im assuming your welding piping).

i was really buying it to learn how to weld but for now all i need is to tac, i'll practice later on something else beside my intercooler piping to learn how to weld

Tracy
12-05-2005, 07:31 PM
we mig
www.batlground.com