PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocating Mass and HP

SpeedyDGP
11-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Does anyone out there know of a formula that calculates how much HP you loose by the reciprocating mass in your drivetrain. I'm trying to find out how much hp is gained to the wheels my removing reciprocating mass (ie: light flywheel, light crank pulley, light driveshaft, light wheels) if anyone out there knows something, anything let me know. I want to have a basis to go by.

Thanks

--SpeedyDGP--

GTScoob
11-29-2005, 10:52 AM
I guess you could find the rotational inertia of each component at the HP peak RPM then find the lower inertia caused by the lightweight stuff.

From there you could figure in work equations to find out the energy required to spin each component that fast. The heavier stuff would require more energy to spin; find the difference in the energy and that would be your power difference, albeit in joules or something that you would have to convert to HP.

That's a very generic approach as I dont have the individual inertia formulas handy. I also just woke up so I'm not sure how valid all of this is, I'll try to check back later.

streamer
08-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I = mr^2

Inertia = the mass of an object X its distance from the center of rotation squared. For anything in real life, you need to use integrals to sum the mass and distances. It's hard. Basically, lighter wheels give you more response. Smaller wheels give you EVEN more response, considering they are about the same weight.