PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Very newb question about the timing belt, forgive me please?

Zhu
01-08-2012, 08:00 PM
So I already looked it up, so I'm just trying to confirm my findings.
I have a basic b16a2 setup and the engine has never been opened. With that being said, it has 61k miles on it but the timing belt has been in the engine since the car rolled off the factory in 1999. So roughly 12 yrs later, I'm getting a very paranoid feeling that I'm pushing my luck.

So before I pop the engine's cherry and remove the valve cover to check the timing belt condition, I wanted to know if it's worth going through the trouble. Since I'll have to replace the valve cover gaskets and what not.

I feel either way, just to be on the safe side I ought to check it soon, but I wanted to know opinions on it since an older bloak told me that it would be a waste of efforts since Honda belts are good for 90k.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

MeFryRice
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
They're still due do the age of the belt. They're super easy to do anyways.

Dylan
01-09-2012, 07:28 AM
If you can, why not? Look at it as preventative maintenance. Possibly change the water pump while you're at it. It would be worth it in the long run.

dorin48
01-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Possibly change the water pump while you're at it.

Not possibly, just do it along with the other relative seals. You'll be in there anyways.

AnthonyF
01-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Not possibly, just do it along with the other relative seals. You'll be in there anyways.
Exactly. I'm sure there are write ups on how to do it. It's very easy, just take your time and make sure all your marks are lined up properly.