PDA

View Full Version : New to board. Any street Hilux owners?

rustyATV
01-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm from the Cumming area and joined the board in hopes someone could help me find info or give suggestions for some things I'd like to do to convert my '89 Toyota Hilux to a sport truck for the street. Most Toyota Pickup (Hilux) boards are for the 4X4 crowd and the rest are for the low riders, but I'm looking to get mine to turn corners and make a little power while still being a practical daily driver, so no slamming or bagging or tubbing here.

I'm using my old Toyota because, though the well worn (300K miles, bad valve) 22RE is the farthest thing from a power house, I already have it and have an attachment to it since it's the first truck my parents gave me back in high school about 17 years ago. Also it's not worth anything on paper, so I'm not worried about devaluing it. I don't ever want to get rid of it, anyway.

Right now I'm working through a laundry list of issues I've neglected over the years, but the first major mod I would like to do, and what brought me to this board, is to convert the rear drum brakes to disc. There are kits for the 4wd trucks but, besides being for 6-lug axles vs my 5, they use heavy GM calipers and do away with the e-brake. I'm wanting to keep weight to a minimum and retain functionality, so I'm looking for info on Honda S2000, Acura RSX, and the various RX7 rear calipers. Anybody have any of these lying around to weigh? I know I can use 94+ Mustang rear brakes and rotors but the rotors, at least, are heavier than I want. I'm also open to suggestions for other good lightweight hydra-mechanical (integrated e-brake) calipers. Some I've looked at can't work because they place the e-brake cable where my axle would be.

Aside from the rear discs, in the near future I'd like to lower my truck a couple of inches (might need 4wd front fenders for clearance), correct the front camber issue, convince myself to ditch the camper shell and replace it with some kind of bed cover, relocate the battery somewhere under the bed, and adapt a better rear sway bar. If I get really ambitious, and find enough info and help, I'd like to swap the motor to a Tacoma 3RZ, though I think I'm going to need a crate 22RE in the short term if I determine my current engine is on it's way out like I think it is. Further down the road I'd entertain adding a turbo to the 3RZ and would like to figure out a 4-link setup for the rear axle. After all that, it also needs a lot of body work on the Left side thanks to a fence and a Lexus, and good paint, but that's probably the last thing I'll do.

Here is my truck as it currently sits. I've already done a few little things like add 16" Ford Explorer aluminum wheels and performance tires, an electric fan and crank scraper to help the tired 22RE out, KYB monotube shocks all around, a (cheap) rear sway bar, and had the tire shop dial out as much of the positive camber as they could (went from +0.9* to +0.2*). All of this made for great improvements in handling and a little more fun scooting around town.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/313728_273819302646055_100000539628470_1048413_706 979768_n.jpg

Looking forward to chatting with people about some of my ideas!

quickdodgeŽ
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
for the street.

What do you mean by this? Later, QD.

rustyATV
01-07-2012, 05:21 PM
What do you mean by this? Later, QD.

I want to do this:

http://www.pakwheels.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/1997-toyota-hilux-drifting-on-a-circuit.jpg

Not this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/esjscarface408/photo3-1.jpg

And not this:

http://image.minitruckinweb.com/f/16597664+w750+st0/0908mt_01_z+1989_toyota_hilux+low_down_hilux.jpg

Julio
01-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Toyota Hilux remind me of back home, they are used for Taxi services and they are 4 doors.

CHADbee
01-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Interesting project for sure.

+reps for a well thought out intro thread with proper grammar. Which is rare these days lol

rustyATV
01-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Toyota Hilux remind me of back home, they are used for Taxi services and they are 4 doors.

Did you have any like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3WbyVxlUuI

Interesting project for sure.

+reps for a well thought out intro thread with proper grammar. Which is rare these days lol

Heh! Thanks! I try!

This will be the first time I've tried to modify a car of any kind. Used to tear down and build up my quad all the time when I raced hare scrambles, so I'm hoping I can borrow some knowledge from that and apply it to this.

green91
01-09-2012, 09:31 AM
There were never any Hilux in the US (except grey market imported ones) and they were generally all RHD.

That being said, the 7mgte is a pretty common swap into these trucks. I would personally much prefer the 7m over the 3rz. The 3rz is torquey and reliable but doesn't like to rev. Not to mention a 7m would be from the same OBD generation and would make wiring a bit easier.

rustyATV
01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
The trucks Toyota sold in the US up until 1995 were the Hilux, they just renamed it simply the "Pickup" in the US market, much like they renamed the Hilux Surf the 4 Runner. Aside from some different engine options and being RHD, they were the same truck. Mid year '95 they stopped sales of the Hilux in North America and introduced the Tacoma for this market

I've thought about a number of engines, including the 7M. Certainly I'll make more power with that motor and it's easier to find in places like Pull A Part, but I'm leaning towards handling and the inline six will be heavier and further upset my truck's weight bias. Also, reading about this swap, I found most people end up cutting the body either around the radiator or at the firewall to make room. An engine with more low range power would be better for pulling out of corners, and companies make bolt-in engine mounts and plug-in wiring harnesses for putting the 3RZ in my generation Hilux.

Paul
01-09-2012, 10:10 PM
my crew at work know a few but they are for offroad

Julio
01-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Did you have any like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3WbyVxlUuI

Heh! Thanks! I try!

This will be the first time I've tried to modify a car of any kind. Used to tear down and build up my quad all the time when I raced hare scrambles, so I'm hoping I can borrow some knowledge from that and apply it to this.

Yup !

green91
01-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Eveything ive read says if you use a combination of the 5m/22re mounts the 7m at least physically its nearly a bolt-in affair, wiring not included. Imo having driven probably a hundred 2rz/3rz trucks & 4runners over the years, its just not a fun engine honestly.

rustyATV
01-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Well, the object of the project is to turn corners, such as in the North Ga. mountains. The 7M is a heavier and longer than the RZ, putting it's weight farther forward. I'm looking to better the balance of the truck if possible, and mountain roads won't permit winding out a high revving motor. If I were drag racing or chasing Mustangs and Corvettes down the highway, I'd go with the 7M, but for what I'm wanting to do, it's not the proper setup.

quickdodgeŽ
01-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Whoa! A road ranger. Great. Later, QD.

rustyATV
01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Eh. I'm not Mario Andretti, so it's the technical challenge of setting up the truck that I'm interested in, not hot dogging it. I'll run up there to evaluate things, but I'm not going to pretend I'm some street hero.

Besides, I get my racing fix from my quad and dirt bike.

eViLMunkey
01-10-2012, 11:41 PM
I have a Sr5 4Runner (Hilux Surf SR5)

On the 91 I recommend the 3.4 swap that's noted on TTORA and YotaTech. . best results so far in the end. .

bondo
01-11-2012, 05:10 AM
welcome to IA, nice project :goodjob:

green91
01-11-2012, 07:06 AM
To each his own, i dont believe a rz motor is going to have the power to nicely pull out of turns whereas a 7m definitely is torquey out of boost comparatively. I do understand your weight forward of the suspension concern but i believe it would be more than mitigated by a good 4-link setup or traction bar in the rear and a rear sway. I completely disagree about the mountain roads not permitting a high revving motor, not sure where you get that from. I've never personally had that issue, and i doubt any of the thousands of street bikes or high hp cars that visit the area would agree either.

I just picked up a set of integra rear calipers, id be happy to snap some pics of them for you to see if the cable placement is something you could work with on your truck. Also, the 2nd gen eclipse has the same lug pattern as the 5lug tacoma, although i believe the parking brake is a drum. May be able to use the rotors though, but they would likely need the hub enlarged.

The s14 (5lug) 240sx was 5x114.3 like your tacoma and had hydra-mechanical calipers. Im sure youll run into a hub size issue again, but it would seem to be an easy/inexpensive source for good brake components.

Well, the object of the project is to turn corners, such as in the North Ga. mountains. The 7M is a heavier and longer than the RZ, putting it's weight farther forward. I'm looking to better the balance of the truck if possible, and mountain roads won't permit winding out a high revving motor. If I were drag racing or chasing Mustangs and Corvettes down the highway, I'd go with the 7M, but for what I'm wanting to do, it's not the proper setup.

CptWitwiki
01-11-2012, 09:41 AM
When you decide to lower for the front you can get belltech drop spindles they will lower the front 2 inches and maintain factory geometry in the suspension along with keeping a nicer ride also im sure they make the lowering leaf kit for your truck as well which performs better than blocks, and you may want to look into sway a way torsion bars. i dont personally run them in my truck (bc i have no money to buy anything for it right now) but i want them and everyone that i have talked to that has them said they are much better for handling

hope that this can be of some help

03RCode
01-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I have 4 PU's... 3 4x4, 1 2wd parts truck. Love them. I'll be watching your progress.

rustyATV
01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
To each his own, i dont believe a rz motor is going to have the power to nicely pull out of turns whereas a 7m definitely is torquey out of boost comparatively. I do understand your weight forward of the suspension concern but i believe it would be more than mitigated by a good 4-link setup or traction bar in the rear and a rear sway. I completely disagree about the mountain roads not permitting a high revving motor, not sure where you get that from. I've never personally had that issue, and i doubt any of the thousands of street bikes or high hp cars that visit the area would agree either.

While I'd like to do it, a proper 4-link setup is pretty ambitious, more so than an engine swap, as the roll center, spring, and shock rates would all have to be developed from nothing, unless the 4wd systems are reasonable for street use. Also, there may not be enough room under my truck to mount upper links without also relocating things like the fuel tank. Adding a built motor may be too much for the W series transmission my truck has, which would require upgrading to the heavier and harder ($$$) to find R154, and then the rear axle may need to be upgraded to a Ford 8.8 if the hard to find 2wd Toyota 8" rear axle can't hold up(I have a 7.5", Not sure about what I can do about mixing and matching parts to build a 2wd 8". ). It's the cumulative effects on weight of strengthening the drive line that I'm worried about in trying to keep my truck around the stock 2800lbs.

Is it they're able to rev out, or do they stay in a low gear and keep the engine wound out to stay in the power band? I have to admit that my thoughts on this come from my prior experience with racing hare scrambles which was a pretty extreme in terms of rideability and tractability needs, but there I learned the value of a broad and smooth power band: http://youtu.be/qzuCsDv0op0

I just picked up a set of integra rear calipers, id be happy to snap some pics of them for you to see if the cable placement is something you could work with on your truck. Also, the 2nd gen eclipse has the same lug pattern as the 5lug tacoma, although i believe the parking brake is a drum. May be able to use the rotors though, but they would likely need the hub enlarged. The s14 (5lug) 240sx was 5x114.3 like your tacoma and had hydra-mechanical calipers. Im sure youll run into a hub size issue again, but it would seem to be an easy/inexpensive source for good brake components.

Images would be great. Weights would be also. I actually have a thread on another website with a list of cars I'm looking at for donor parts with weights and dimensions to try to maximize weight savings. I need to review it, but I recall the 95+ Nissan Maxima was one of the best fitting rotors. It has a compatible hub and a good low weight. There were a couple of others I was going to consider, and I think the 240SX with the five lugs was one. The main issue with the Toyota truck axle, though, is the flange that the wheel studs are mounted in is obscenely large, such that the only rotors with a large enough inside diameter of the "hat" is a Ford Mustang. But those rotors are pretty heavy, so I'm probably going to end up having a set of axle shafts turned down at the flange.

Other calipers I think would work well are the RX7, RSX, and S2000. Anything that sets the parking brake cable away from the center line of the rear axle is a possibility.

When you decide to lower for the front you can get belltech drop spindles they will lower the front 2 inches and maintain factory geometry in the suspension along with keeping a nicer ride also im sure they make the lowering leaf kit for your truck as well which performs better than blocks, and you may want to look into sway a way torsion bars. i dont personally run them in my truck (bc i have no money to buy anything for it right now) but i want them and everyone that i have talked to that has them said they are much better for handling hope that this can be of some help

Definitely will be using the drop spindles, though I'll have to give up on the idea of fabbing shorter arms to increase the steering rate since the Belltechs are cast in. Hoping I can find a quick ratio steering box, instead.

I thought I saw 3" lowering leafs and wanted to do those over the blocks. The things I'm wondering about are whether I can still use regular pickup shocks with the lowering leafs, what the largest size tires I can use with different levels of drop, and whether 3" is too much or 2" not enough. Another option I found was this, though I'm sure it's very pricey : http://www.flex-form.com/products.asp

Actually, the very first thing I ever did to my truck was add a rear sway bar because of how it handled when I carried my quad on the highway. It's a cheap JC Whitney piece that keeps bending at the links, though, and want to try to adapt a Ford Explorer piece. The lowering phase I think is going to come a bit later.

Here's a site that involves prepping a truck for road course: http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/mods.htm He covers a couple of things I was wondering about doing: relocating the battery under the bed, and improving the rigidity of a truck's ladder frame. The latter is going to take some custom fabrication.

DynamicSound
01-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Welcome!

Bacon
01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Nice to see something different on the boards.

Welcome to IA.

daswagger
01-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Is that you on the ltr in that vid? Or just a random gncc video?

Sent from my EVO 3d using tapatalk

03RCode
01-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Is that you on the ltr in that vid? Or just a random gncc video?

Sent from my EVO 3d using tapatalk

That would be Chris Borich on the LT-R in that video.

rustyATV
01-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Is that you on the ltr in that vid? Or just a random gncc video? Sent from my EVO 3d using tapatalk Just a GNCC vid. This is the only video of me racing. http://youtu.be/E1gJ8YgyByA

03RCode
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Just a GNCC vid. This is the only video of me racing. http://youtu.be/E1gJ8YgyByA

I miss my 250R's :( If I could find a clean one I'd definitely scoop it up to run locals on.

Scotsman
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
i kid you not , the day you posted this thread , me and a buddy just got done watching the Top Gear where they drive that new Hilux up the side of a volcano , weird coincidence , welcome to the site BTW ,lol , very interested to see the transformation of your truck

rustyATV
01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
I miss my 250R's :( If I could find a clean one I'd definitely scoop it up to run locals on. I was the only 250R in local races for years.Though it's more built now than when I raced, it's more a garage queen, now, because Honda's stopped selling a bunch of transmission parts. I have a second in my basement that's been sitting apart because of one discontinued gear collar that I need.
i kid you not , the day you posted this thread , me and a buddy just got done watching the Top Gear where they drive that new Hilux up the side of a volcano , weird coincidence , welcome to the site BTW ,lol , very interested to see the transformation of your truck Thanks! I think Top Gear is a huge fan of the Hilux after this episode: http://youtu.be/0Uc4Ksz3nHM

spank
01-17-2012, 12:02 AM
i got a 89 pickup as well ill be watching

03RCode
01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
I was the only 250R in local races for years.Though it's more built now than when I raced, it's more a garage queen, now, because Honda's stopped selling a bunch of transmission parts. I have a second in my basement that's been sitting apart because of one discontinued gear collar that I need.

I sold all my R's off back when the 450's first got big. I ride a pair of LT-R450's right now, but still miss the sound and feel of a well done R in the woods.

rustyATV
02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Well, upgrades are on hold while until a rebuild is complete! Lol!

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/422727_379536428741008_100000539628470_1364372_459 439623_n.jpg

Special-K
02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Welcome to IA. Great idea for the truck...look up turbo dave on youtube, he is local, and has a hilux, but his is set for drifting and does a major well job at it. he is great with toyotas(2jz 240 also) i will get the info for him if your interested. i know he has a 240 front subframe and 300z rear setup. handles great but he also is toyota v8 turbo powered

Special-K
02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
this is off his site..alot of info also on their. google turbodave.

Welcome to TURBODAVE and R & D Automotive web site this is just some of the work we can do for you :
Fabrication, Welding TIG / MIG, Custom Exhaust, Custom Roll Bars, Cages for Drag, Drift and Road Racing, Complete vehicle builds, Custom built header and turbo manifolds, Inter cooler piping, Custom engine builds, Auto to manual swaps, Engine swaps, Rear end swaps, Chassis and suspension setup and many more.
We are located at 5014 Frank Aiken Rd Powder Springs, Ga 30127
Call us at 770-943-1968 or Email to [email protected]
Or see us on Youtube.com and Street Fire.net just put in turbodave in the search.