PDA

View Full Version : Tg welding help? I suppose this is the right place.

HeyItsSkeero
12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
So I just bought a diversion 180 (great machine!) and I'm currently taking welding at the local college.

Anyways. I can do great beads on what I'm working with flat aluminum, but I want to weld my intercooler piping up so I won't have to use couplings. I'm not sure how to tac it with tig yet (I haven't had much practice other than flat beads) and I'm not sure what heat to use on such thin aluminum. It's 2.5" and 3" piping but it's thin walled so any suggestions on either of those?

Thanks!

RiceBoy
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Turn the amp down and try practicing on a coke can. Once you master that, you can weld anything. Not sure if you machine is capable of welding that thin of aluminum. I have a Miller SD180 .

HeyItsSkeero
12-27-2011, 06:03 PM
What ampage would you suggest on a coke can then? I'll try that.

Thanks man.

RiceBoy
12-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Turn to the lowest setting you have available. I am not sure what your machine is capable. Butt two coke cans and try to weld them together.

EmminoDaGreat
12-28-2011, 11:55 PM
I find for the initial tack, the fitment is key. If there is any gap it will be almost impossible to tack. For most thin material aluminum you shouldn't need more than 65 amps. For the tack I always max amp with pedal and let off immediately causing a tack, rotate pipe repeat.

Fitment and prep is key though.

slowdsm
01-05-2012, 01:20 AM
tig welding is super easy if you practice and know the tricks. good cuts are the key like emminodagreat said above. however, it is not hard to make a weld across a 1-2mm gap. the trick is to start a weld bead on each side of the gap and place the third bead between the two beads. this works great on aluminum pipe with a big gap because aluminum does not sag that much.

here are some of my tricks for newbies.

-sit on a chair and spread your legs to have a wide base. the extra balance allow you to control the pedal better. this is especially important when letting off the pedal complete because you don't feel like you are going to fell over onto the work piece.

-brace your arms on something

-mover your head to see the weld bead instead of imagining the movement. the first tip above will assist you here too.

-try using your dominant hand to feed the filler rod. this is the most important trick for newbie and even pro.

-make sure the gas is flowing correctly. 15-20cmf is the key number.

-sharpen the tungsten correctly. i find that a flap wheel on a 90 angle gives an excellent finish. sharpen with the grain toward the tip or you will not going to get a good finish.

-use good filler rods. use the smallest rod possible to get the bead size you want. this is very important when welding thin metal. if you use a big filler rod, you will have to stay too long on an area to flatten out the fill. this is ultra important when welding aluminized steel or thin stainless steel to prevent burn through.

EclipseE16g
01-10-2012, 10:22 AM
tig welding is super easy if you practice and know the tricks. good cuts are the key like emminodagreat said above. however, it is not hard to make a weld across a 1-2mm gap. the trick is to start a weld bead on each side of the gap and place the third bead between the two beads. this works great on aluminum pipe with a big gap because aluminum does not sag that much.

here are some of my tricks for newbies.

-sit on a chair and spread your legs to have a wide base. the extra balance allow you to control the pedal better. this is especially important when letting off the pedal complete because you don't feel like you are going to fell over onto the work piece.

-brace your arms on something

-mover your head to see the weld bead instead of imagining the movement. the first tip above will assist you here too.

-try using your dominant hand to feed the filler rod. this is the most important trick for newbie and even pro.

-make sure the gas is flowing correctly. 15-20cmf is the key number.

-sharpen the tungsten correctly. i find that a flap wheel on a 90 angle gives an excellent finish. sharpen with the grain toward the tip or you will not going to get a good finish.

-use good filler rods. use the smallest rod possible to get the bead size you want. this is very important when welding thin metal. if you use a big filler rod, you will have to stay too long on an area to flatten out the fill. this is ultra important when welding aluminized steel or thin stainless steel to prevent burn through.

^^^++1

jdm7thgen
01-16-2012, 04:16 PM
I Tig for a living. Keep this in mind, its all in the prep don't sacrifice a good piece of material and time because your in a hurry. Take your time cut once measure twice get a good clean fit and cut. Clean material with alcohol or acetone. Clean filler rod really well. Don't have a fan blowing on you you want a good feed from your gas. IT'S ALL IN THE PREP. Push the puddle don't drag the puddle.

Drummerboy
01-23-2012, 02:01 AM
I always go full in on the pedal to get the arc going, then back off alot. I've always practiced on really thin aluminum coupons (like 3/16") but never really got it. Stick and mig I love. Tig has always been a throne in my side.

HeyItsSkeero
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
I figured it out since I started back to school a week ago. Teacher is an amazing teacher, and just as good welder. I used all these tips as well as a few videos on youtube and he helped me get it all down pact.

j0nbunklah0m
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
If you get good at it, PM me and i'll pay you to weld my intercooler piping and BOV

EmminoDaGreat
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
pay me, I'll weld it :)

j0nbunklah0m
01-31-2012, 12:42 AM
pm'ed