PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Turbo cam questions

stealth1
12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I am currently building a d16z6 and want to know of the cams out there to make the best hp. This will be a semi-daily driver and if something happens i have other cars so i am not too worried about it. I am looking for 320+ hp. here is the set up so far

Head:

d16z6
crower valves
crower springs and Ti retainers
CAM?????
gasket matched at the moment (might send it off to get a port and polish)
Crower adjustable timing gear

Bottom end:

75.5 vitara
Eagle h-beam
clevite bearing or Acl race bearings (cant decide......any suggestions?)
golden eagle block guard, considering going ahead and sending it off to golden eagle to get sleeved
Fully balanced rotating assembly with lighten pulley(only has the alternator grooves)

also using a CC stage 5 sprung clutch

Now i have been looking at the Crower cams and I cant decide between the stage 2 forced induction special (short duration, reduces overlap) and the Stage 3 Full race cam. I would like some input from anyone with know experience. or any other cams i know A LOT of people say bismoto but its almost $200 more dollars for 20hp. The turbo is more than likely going to be a gt30 (still waiting to decided) and I plan on running 20-22psi right now unless i get it sleeved.

any suggestions would be awesome.

stealth1
12-17-2011, 11:39 AM
The reason i ask is because i want to make the most hp and i have seen a guy dyno with the stage3 on a turbo and made 408 to the wheels.......The most i got out of my last motor was 369hp on pump gas 93 oct with the stage 2 crower......and I am not worried about the cost but the bisimoto cams (everyone show 20hp more on the dyno with these cams) for the price i just scratch my head at and say I could go buy some 40hp pills for the nitrous system i already have and it would be a little cheaper...... I am open to any and all suggestions and yes i have googled it time and time again and everyone gives different opinions. I am WANTING TO BUY THIS TO DAY!!! Christmas present for myself so the sooner the better on the responses.

Berta
12-18-2011, 02:50 PM
I will never do anymore business with Bisi, except to purchase their cam gear. I went rounds after rounds about fitment of his so-called cam. he just comes up with some specs and Web Cams cuts it for him. I ordered a cam from him and when i tried to install it, i noticed that from cylinder 3 to 1 the cam lobes were progressively hanging off the rockers worse and worse. I posted up a big write up on a couple sohc websites. Talking about some abnormal cam wear if i would have used it. Then the oil journal towards the cam gear was 1/2 way blocked because the cam was cut wrong there too. There was MANY phone calls and emails sent back and forth. He said i had some wack head, and i told him that he had a wack he. I had around 12 other engine builders come over to my shop to physically see what i had told them over the phone. Everyone couldn't believe how they would sell a camshaft like that. I sent both cams back 2x(which came out of my pocket) and still no corrective solution besides refund me my money back. He said he never had a unpleased customer, but he has one right here!
But i used the stock z6 camshaft in my build which was my DD, and i made 400 whp/ 318 ft.lbs torque on 93 octane. Would have made more, but my stock ignition couldn't keep up. I used a Garret 57 trim with the .63a/r hot side. 9:1 compression, supertech valvetrain, and i always do my own port/polish. Ed Senf at Balanced Performance tuned it with s300. It was a great DD as where i had ppl say the stock cam would work the way that it did and the hotside was going to be too big for a DD. And that came from some ppl on here that i would have call the sohc pioneers.. I saved my pocket a descent amount of money from trying the stock cam out against the odds..

stealth1
12-19-2011, 04:10 PM
thanks for looking out. I was also thinking bisi was a little sketch because of what i have read on other forums about it........the only article i could find with all of the d16 cams had bisi 2.4 cam out doing his 3.4 race cam by 3hp (done in the same car, same motor, ect. the only thing that was changed was the cam and timing of course) that to me had me scratching my head because the 3.4 cam is the one in his 700hp sohc......I have decided to go with the crower stage 2 and see what happens. I am contemplating if i should go ahead and sleeve the block or just get some mad head work done and see how long i can make the sleeves take it. bc like i said i should easily put down 350hp to the wheels or really close to that bc any more than that on the street and the tires would continously be blown off to 60mph+ no good if i am not hookin.

Berta
12-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Get a lsd.

Berta
12-20-2011, 06:02 AM
pm'd

Z0_o6
12-26-2011, 03:56 PM
I have a sleeved D16z6 block if you are interested. You will need to go up to 76mm pistons though.