PDA

View Full Version : tracking vehicle owner?

SilverJester
11-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Does anyone on here have the ability to track a vehicle owner through the license plate or VIN? I found this abandoned car and I really want it, but it seems like the easiest way would be to find the owner and ask him if he just wants to give it to me rather than trying to legal obtain an "abandoned" vehicle.

Brett
11-28-2005, 11:53 AM
if it was just left there, Did you think it may be stolen and just left there?

SilverJester
11-28-2005, 11:57 AM
if it was just left there, Did you think it may be stolen and just left there?
I dunno, but I guess I'll call the police dep. now and see if it is stolen.

YokotaS13
11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
i have the same question, there is a older MR2 sitting in the lot, and i was wondering if i could find the owner and part it out lol

SilverJester
11-28-2005, 12:10 PM
nope, it's not stolen, just called. I have 2 options so far, have the property owner tow the vehicle and then the towing company will sell it at an auction :jerkit: Option 2, the property owner (if they are willing to help me out)could fill out a form and request the vehicle owner's information. Then I could call him up and ask about it. Either way it seems like there is a lot of trouble, unless someone on here works for a place where they can get access to vehicle owner's information (like if they work for a repo company, insurance company, etc.). Does anyone else have any ideas?

B16a2 Civic
11-28-2005, 12:15 PM
nope, it's not stolen, just called. I have 2 options so far, have the property owner tow the vehicle and then the towing company will sell it at an auction :jerkit: Option 2, the property owner (if they are willing to help me out)could fill out a form and request the vehicle owner's information. Then I could call him up and ask about it. Either way it seems like there is a lot of trouble, unless someone on here works for a place where they can get access to vehicle owner's information (like if they work for a repo company, insurance company, etc.). Does anyone else have any ideas?

that would be against privacy regulations.
but i would go with option 2, your best bet.

YokotaS13
11-28-2005, 12:17 PM
theres alot of thigs that are against rules,people do it anyways, i need hte same help

B16a2 Civic
11-28-2005, 12:18 PM
theres alot of thigs that are against rules,people do it anyways, i need hte same help

yeah i know alot of things are against teh rules, but im sure someone on here wouldn't mind riskin their job so you can make a couple extra dollars huh

SilverJester
11-28-2005, 12:19 PM
yeah i know alot of things are against teh rules, but im sure someone on here wouldn't mind riskin their job so you can make a couple extra dollars huh

yeah I'm sure the owner woudn't mind too much, considering he abandoned a vehicle illegally and I would be taking it off his hands, therefore he would have no legal consiqunces.

B16a2 Civic
11-28-2005, 12:21 PM
well if you 2 are so set about doin it illegally, why post on here about help?
:dunno:

YokotaS13
11-28-2005, 12:23 PM
i want to do it legally, thats why im asking as well

B16a2 Civic
11-28-2005, 12:25 PM
i want to do it legally, thats why im asking as well

you just confused me on this one.
i tell you that it would be against privacy to give info on someones elses car unless obtaining it legally, you say people do things that arent right all the time....

i mean jester found out what he has to do, but you still want to explore other "options" when you were given your 2?

SilverJester
11-28-2005, 12:31 PM
you just confused me on this one.
i tell you that it would be against privacy to give info on someones elses car unless obtaining it legally, you say people do things that arent right all the time....

i mean jester found out what he has to do, but you still want to explore other "options" when you were given your 2?
that's a lot of work, and I'm sure that option 2 isn't completely legal too. I mean even though the property owner can obtain the owners info, it doens't mean that they can give it out legally. I'm trying to find another way to do it because if I contact the porperty owner, they are just going to do what is fastest for them, which would be to have it towed, and then that means that I'm going to have to buy it at an auction.

YokotaS13
11-28-2005, 12:33 PM
yep same here

B16a2 Civic
11-28-2005, 12:35 PM
that's a lot of work, and I'm sure that option 2 isn't completely legal too. I mean even though the property owner can obtain the owners info, it doens't mean that they can give it out legally. I'm trying to find another way to do it because if I contact the porperty owner, they are just going to do what is fastest for them, which would be to have it towed, and then that means that I'm going to have to buy it at an auction.

well, i mean i highly doubt there would be an easier way...basically your tryna get a free car.....it cant be that easy, but i wouldn't kno what else to tell ya, only reason i know all this is cause i tried to buy this Prelude that was left at a shop for like a year, they couldn't contact the owner and they ended up auctioning it off for cheap, so i do hope ya find an easier way or get the car for dirt cheap.

YokotaS13
11-28-2005, 12:36 PM
i just want to part this mr2 out lol, so i can buy my pocket pc

chrisdavis
11-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Go with option 2 and contact the owner of the vehicle and ask what they are going to do with the car. Dont offer money for it. Tell them you will be more than happy to take it and dispose of it (yes lie). Depending on the year all you need to transfer ownership is a bill of sale. Have the owner sign a bill of sale or sign over the title and register it in your name.

B16a2 Civic
11-28-2005, 12:46 PM
i just want to part this mr2 out lol, so i can buy my pocket pc

Lol, and i just wanta PS3 and Xbox 360.
Merry Xmas.
but seriously, im sure all teh work will be worth it in teh end.

SilverJester
11-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Ok well I decided to see if the car was unlocked and look for information....I found the title in the glove box :D So I know he owner I'm about to give him a call.

BuellX1: I found someone on another forum willing to help me run a check on the vehicle. I don't need it anymore, but if you want to send me the VIN and Plate number I can give it to him and see what he can find out about the mr2.

YokotaS13
11-28-2005, 06:21 PM
i will do that for you when i get home, expect a PM aroudn 12:20