PDA

View Full Version : How much for a full rebuild on B18C

IntegraXTR
11-28-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm planning to rebuild my gsr in a month or so and was wondering how much would it run me total including labor? I'm not worried about the head because I just replaced that not too long ago with skunk2 internals. My quote from auto options a while back was $1200, any other prices?

BTEC
11-28-2005, 10:23 AM
what are u building it for? high compression, turbo, back to stock?

Vteckidd
11-28-2005, 05:30 PM
$1200 is about right for OEM parts.

If its a full rebuild this is what i charge for an NA build with OEM parts:
B16 PR3 pistons (11.5:1) -$185
ACL Race Bearings-$100
OEM Parts (headgasket, timing belt, WP, Oil Pump, lower seal kit)-$350
ARP Rod Bolts 9mm-$55
Balance Crank, Rods, Pistons, Install Rod Bolts-$250 (thats what the machine shop charges)
I usually include valve stem seals, and cam seals, valve cover gasket as well
Labor to build $600
TOTAL:$1540

That is a str8 forward rebuild. However, that is no machine work to the block. Thats a rebuild without taking the motor out. If your block is out or round, then it has to be pulled and machine work done to it which can run another $500 (labor and machine work).

$1200 isnt bad, mine is probably more cause i use more expensive bearings and rod bolts and i recondition the rods.

IntegraXTR
11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
sounds good, I will definetly let you know something mike? (hope thats the right name). because I wanna rebuild with stock internals OEM but with R pistons.

Vteckidd
11-28-2005, 09:13 PM
why R pistons? PR3 aka B16 pistons make more compression, they have a higher dome, and are much cheaper than "R" pistons.

with a GSR head and B16 pistons youll be around 11.8:1

im just curious ;)

EDIT: also, when shopping around for a rebuild, find out what each shop classifies a "rebuild" as. Some places will just replace your rings and bearings and headgasket and call it a day. almost no place will balance the rotating assembly (which i do always) and if you really want to rev it reliably, ARP rod bolts are a must. my old gsr had balanced GSR rods and ARP bolts and i revved to 9700rpms ALL THE TIME. 99SI has ARP rod bolts in his b16 we built, i have taken his to 10,000 a few times. I always replace the oil pump, its a cheap part and most people overlook it. I gave you my list, so compare it to what other people are quoting you for, and what it comes with. just FYI

tell Lat and Timmy i said hi at auto options

i4_garage
11-28-2005, 09:25 PM
hey vteckidd...how much to rebuild a 2JZ?.....just wondering...or do u just do hondas

Vteckidd
11-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I only trust myself with Honda/Acura at the moment.

For a 2jZ rebuild give Turbo Dave or Batlground a call. They have much more expierience with Toyotas than i do. ;)

IntegraXTR
11-28-2005, 10:22 PM
why R pistons? PR3 aka B16 pistons make more compression, they have a higher dome, and are much cheaper than "R" pistons.

with a GSR head and B16 pistons youll be around 11.8:1

im just curious ;)

EDIT: also, when shopping around for a rebuild, find out what each shop classifies a "rebuild" as. Some places will just replace your rings and bearings and headgasket and call it a day. almost no place will balance the rotating assembly (which i do always) and if you really want to rev it reliably, ARP rod bolts are a must. my old gsr had balanced GSR rods and ARP bolts and i revved to 9700rpms ALL THE TIME. 99SI has ARP rod bolts in his b16 we built, i have taken his to 10,000 a few times. I always replace the oil pump, its a cheap part and most people overlook it. I gave you my list, so compare it to what other people are quoting you for, and what it comes with. just FYI

tell Lat and Timmy i said hi at auto options

haha, lat and timmy are with xtremeauto right now they sold auto options back to his brother which was originally C&K auto. But I will def let you know something if it doesn't go through.

IntegraXTR
11-28-2005, 10:23 PM
also how long will it take to do the rebuild because I don't want to drop the car off for too long since its my only ride.

Vteckidd
11-28-2005, 10:27 PM
week at the most (mostly cause it takes the machine shop 2-3 days to get it all done.)

So Kak owns Auto Options now? he was the original owner if i remember correctly

IntegraXTR
11-29-2005, 07:54 AM
yup he was the original owner and now he is again, but I'm sure timmy is happy where he's at right now.