PDA

View Full Version : FREE: Pit Bull/Lab X.. but read...

SixSquared
11-28-2005, 02:05 AM
PLEASE READ!! IF WE CAN'T FIND A HOME FOR HER MY DAD IS GONNA HAVE HER PUT DOWN ON DEC 10TH!!!

Hey guys, just seeing if anyone wants this GREAT dog. Her name's Pearl, and she's approx 9 years old. Yellow lab/pit bull mix. She looks odd, but is sweet. She's really shy, but once she opens up to you and accepts you as not being a threat, she becomes attached at the hip.

HER BACKGROUND:
We got Pearl and her siblings as rescue pups in 1996-ish. They were living in a drainpipe and were malnourished and scared. All of them were able to be simply lifted out of the pipe except Pearl. She was the runt of the litter, and shy. Athens/Clarke Animal Control actually hired a forklift to lift away a section of cement so they could get her. Personally, I think this event kind of traumatized her and she's been shy ever since.

HER PERSONALITY:
She gets along really well with other dogs, and has always been submissive when another dog acted agressive towards her. She is best in a house or apartment where she can have some room to run around (we live on 3 acres now, and she spent the first 5 years of her life on 18 acres). She is fully housetrained. She does sometimes act agressive towards people she doesn't know (especially men), but she has never bitten or done anything more than bark and raise the hair on her back. She puts up a scary front, but would never do anything. She's kind of been our "guard dog" of sorts. She's impartial to kids, but only because she just removes herself from wild/boisterous situations. Not sure how she would react if some kid ran up to her. She just needs someone who is going to take the time to let her get acquainted and make friends, and give her some lovin'.

THE BAD/Why my dad is gonna put her down if she doesn't find a home:
Pearl has a REALLY bad skin allergy. She's been to our family vet a few times for it, and for some reason, our vet can't diagnose it. She's given her steroid shots and we've used special shampoo on her, and sometimes it gets a little better, but it hasn't actually healed, and she's had the problem for about 5 years now. It just showed up when we moved to our new house. The vet says she thinks it's either a flea allergy (with three dogs and three cats in our house, yes, fleas happen) or her skin becoming more sensitive from moving into town from the country. As a result of her allergy and scratching, Pearl is losing hair (she's lost probably about 35% of the hair on her body so far). We know whatever is wrong is not contagious to other animals... we have two other dogs and they are both fine. We can't take her to another vet because, to be honest, money's tight and we can't afford to spend any more on her. I have a feeling that a better vet (yes, our family vet is mediocre at best) will be able to diagnose the problem quickly and effectively.

Anyways... Pearl is a GREAT dog, and really doesn't deserve to die over this, but my dad doesn't know what to do, and her allergies keep her up at night, scratching herself sometimes till her skin is raw. She needs someone who can afford a vet visit to get her accurately diagnosed and treated, and someone who wants a mature, quiet dog.

CLIFF'S NOTES:
Dog is sick with skin allergy. Dad is at wit's end. Please adopt her and give her proper care!

I'll have pics of her up tomorrow.

Emily

RandomGuy
11-28-2005, 03:21 AM
lol is this shit on craigslist... either that or u copy/posted sum1s post

SixSquared
11-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I put it on craigslist too. I don't want to see my dog put down.

Brett
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Why put the dog down? why not give it to one of the MANY rescue's that will take the dog and not put it down? Takes a shallow person to put a dog down just for a skin issue and not atleast give the dog to a shelter who will place them in a home, damn give the dog a chance if you cant find a home in time atleast. Killing it is VERY fucked up, Its not the dogs fault he has a skin issue

atlshawdyfasho
11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
wont the atl humane take it??

SixSquared
11-28-2005, 03:46 PM
We're not in Atlanta city limits.. we're in Athens. We could take her to the pound, but honestly at the pound she'll just get put down.

It's not a matter of it being her fault or not... It's really not fair to make her continue suffering without being treated. We sat down as a family, and that was our decision. My mom's a former animal control officer, and trust me, if there was a place here that would take her, she would probably be there already. It's a humane thing. If we can find someone who will take her and treat her, then that works out the best. But if we can't find someone to take her, we're not gonna make her continue to be miserable.

Brett
11-28-2005, 06:24 PM
I put a copy of this thread in the PET forum as well so the littl eguy has more of a shot.

SixSquared
11-28-2005, 07:11 PM
thanks. :) The more help the merrier.

puregroove
11-28-2005, 10:49 PM
bump :confused:

SixSquared
11-29-2005, 09:53 PM
bump for pics... still need to find a home for this pup...

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTE0MTk4NjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTE0MTk4NzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Sleepy pupster.