PDA

View Full Version : Campus Law WTF?

-EnVus-
11-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Was just watching the Fox News on the rape that happen at GT campus last week. Thefts are the highest on record they say and State law prohibits Students from Defending themselves ???:thinking::thinking:

01CDMLUDER
11-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Wtf?

Well that's why they are getting robbed and shit around there.. The thieves know that the students probably have money and won't have a weapon.. I highschool you couldn't defend yourself.. If you threw a punch you were going to jail no matter who started the fight or if you were just defending yourself.

I don't care what the law is.. Always defend yourself..

98blackcivic
11-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Wtf?

Well that's why they are getting robbed and shit around there.. The thieves know that the students probably have money and won't have a weapon.. I highschool you couldn't defend yourself.. If you threw a punch you were going to jail no matter who started the fight or if you were just defending yourself.

hear hear!

Dylan
11-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Wtf?

I don't know why it has come to this act of zero tollerance in a lot of schools. If someone is coming at me with intentions of harming me, I am going to stand my ground. There is no way in hell I will just give up my health and money and not make an attempt to defend myself.

Browning151
11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Lawmaker-Wants-to-Allow-Guns-on-Ga.-Tech-Campus-20111114-pm-pk

Lawmaker Wants to Allow Guns on Ga. Tech Campus
Updated: Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011, 6:37 AM EST
Published : Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 10:29 PM EST

Justin
Gray
By MYFOXATLANTA STAFF/myfoxatlanta

ATLANTA - An alleged rape on the Georgia Tech campus last week combined with a series of armed robberies this school year are adding new urgency to an old question: how to protect students. A state lawmaker says allowing guns on campus could be part of the solution.

Over the past few years, bills that would have allowed guns on college campuses have been proposed but failed in Georgia legislature. State Rep. Sean Jerguson (R-Cherokee County) said he plans to re-introduce the bill in the next legislative session.

"By creating the weapon-free zones, what signal is that sending to the criminal," said Jerguson. "They know that individuals on college campuses, under the law, cannot protect themselves, so that's where they go."

Georgia Tech students Erik Steiner and Elania McClain said they are both worried about crime on campus, but expressed different opinions on allowing guns on campus.

"I just don't think that people are responsible enough to carry weapons. They can get them taken from them and used against them, or people can get alcohol involved," said McClain.

"I see no reason why people shouldn't have the right to defend themselves, seeing as there's so much more crime and they have crimes, why shouldn't we," said Steiner.

School officials declined to talk to FOX 5 Monday, but a policy statement on the school's website says the school is against guns on campus.

"Georgia Tech...feels that the current law keeps our campuses safe and is designed to protect our students, faculty, staff, and visitors," says the school on its website.

The issue is expected to be on the agenda in the next legislative session, which begins in about eight weeks.

If this is the story that you are referring to, Jerguson says that "they cannot protect themselves" in reference to Georgia law that prohibits concealed carry on campus by students or administrators even if they have a GFL. There isn't a law that says they can't defend themselves, and as far as I've been able to discern they are not prohibited from carrying pepper spray.

-EnVus-
11-15-2011, 05:19 PM
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/Lawmaker-Wants-to-Allow-Guns-on-Ga.-Tech-Campus-20111114-pm-pk

If this is the story that you are referring to, Jerguson says that "they cannot protect themselves" in reference to Georgia law that prohibits concealed carry on campus by students or administrators even if they have a GFL. There isn't a law that says they can't defend themselves, and as far as I've been able to discern they are not prohibited from carrying pepper spray.

Pepper spray just don't cut it these days and hell they probaly consider a taser gun a weapon

Browning151
11-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Pepper spray just don't cut it these days and hell they probaly consider a taser gun a weapon

It's better than nothing, pepper spray wasn't my point though. There's not a law that says they can't defend themselves at all without fear of going to jail, as it seems some have interpreted your OP. Just pointing out the whole story there.

BanginJimmy
11-15-2011, 05:36 PM
The funny thing about a law, if a criminal is going to break 1 law, why should we expect them to abide by the rest of them? A "gun free zone" is a joke as the only people that this affects are those that ARE NOT using the guns for criminal purposes.