PDA

View Full Version : Something I Have Noticed On Here & Facebook, etc

Brett
11-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Please explain why people can not use the word "Sale" in its proper term??? Has anyone else noticed how many people will list something for sale, and say "I need to SALE this item quickly" or "I need to SALE it" etc... Why do people not grasp the word SELL as the proper use in this instance? Next thing you know some moron will put "I NEED TO SAIL MY CAR" LMAO :thinking:

PTCDC5
11-10-2011, 03:04 PM
"I have for sell...."

The misuse of these words bugs the shit out of me.

Brett
11-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah its a huge pet peeve of mine, I have had times where literally I will move onto another ad for the same item and purchase it from someone else when I see that, because in my mind if your to stupid to use proper english, you were not educated enough to take proper care of what you are trying to SALE!! LMAO

Browning151
11-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Drives me crazy as well. There's a whole list of words that people seem to think are interchangeable that irks me in general.

There
Their
They're

Your
You're

To
Too

Sell
Sale

Lose
Loose

I'm sure there's more, but it's really not that hard to use proper English people.

Brett
11-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I will admit I am REAL bad about the Your and You're thing...LOL ~slaps head~ but I know how to SALE an item like no one else!! I will put things up for SAIL and get paid son!! LOL

-EnVus-
11-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Don't you know 70% of IA is uneducated ? If it was not for the auto correct half the shit on here would not be readable.

CSquared
11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Yeah I like to speak properly. I tend to read my posts 9 times over to make sure I don't sound like an uneducated asshole. Can't say for sure whether or not I am successful in said endeavor.

jhadleyh
11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I will admit I am REAL bad about the Your and You're thing...LOL ~slaps head~ but I know how to SALE an item like no one else!! I will put things up for SAIL and get paid son!! LOL

That's probably the worst one out of all of them that is never properly used. (The your you're thing)

98blackcivic
11-10-2011, 06:22 PM
i hate that shit too

Theycall_Metue
11-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I like to speak properly.
fixed.
to be honest, i can careless as long as the sentences make sense.

-EnVus-
11-10-2011, 07:39 PM
fixed.
to be honest, i can careless as long as their and my sentences make sense.
Now this is just a good way to get Negative reps....You don't have to be a Punctuation Nazi.

Echonova
11-10-2011, 09:38 PM
What I hate more than the your/you're thing, is people that type like they are texting... YOU HAVE A FULL FUCKING KEYBOARD!!!!!!

USE IT!!!!!!

U kno wat im trying 2 say?

Browning151
11-10-2011, 09:44 PM
What I hate more than the your/you're thing, is people that type like they are texting... YOU HAVE A FULL FUCKING KEYBOARD!!!!!!

USE IT!!!!!!

U kno wat im trying 2 say?

This also. Is it really too much labor for your fingers to take that extra second or so and form a full sentence, bunch of lazy asses.

CSquared
11-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Now this is just a good way to get Negative reps....You don't have to be a Punctuation Nazi.

lol, and, indeed, he, got, some.

Brett
11-11-2011, 07:37 AM
I call for a ban!! LOL

CSquared
11-11-2011, 10:15 AM
I call for a ban!! LOL

it IS friday...

Brett
11-11-2011, 10:28 AM
This is very true sir.

Doppelgänger
11-11-2011, 10:31 AM
People are getting dumber and dumber, it's a fact, get used to it. Those same people are simply too stupid to understand their error and it is not worth anyone's time to try to correct them.

fixed.
to be honest, i can careless as long as the sentences make sense.

This is a fine example of another phrase that only 2% of the population gets correct. Read what is quoted and analyze it for a moment. What you are saying is that you could care less. That's not the point of the phrase. The point is that you could not care less. The correct wording is "I couldn't care less for..."

When one usually states "I could care less", they usually mean "I could not care less". [e.g. "I could care less about linguistics."]

In order for one to "care less" about a subject, they must first care about it somewhat. Saying "I could care less about ... " does indeed imply, nay dictate, that there is some degree of care.

I've put together a handy chart to help visualize...

http://incompetech.com/Images/caring.png

It can easily be seen that, in absolute terms, there is no caring at the zero marker. It is impossible to care less than that amount.

Let us use a different example...

I could have less food.
I couldn't have less food.
Which statement above means "I have at least some food", and which means "I don't have any food"?

Humphrizzle
11-11-2011, 11:25 AM
no one has brought up how stupid it is for people to misspell paid..

I've seen more people spelling paid as payed than anything else. I want to scream. PAYED IS NEVER A WORD. They are just completely stupid and don't know how to spell the word.

Doppelgänger
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I also get a kick out of those who request "cash money only", shit cracks me up. I'll offer PayPal just to piss them off...

Bacon
11-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Don't you know 70% of IA is uneducated ? If it was not for the auto correct half the shit on here would not be readable.

Even auto-correct gets shit wrong.

Hence ~~~~> www.damnyouautocorrect.com