PDA

View Full Version : Ticket for driving with expired registration

drpepper14
10-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Had my car impounded today for driving with an expired registration (already got it out of impound), but what can I expect in terms of the amount of the ticket?

Do I need to worry about anything else, or can I just pay the ticket and forget about it?

Pulled over in Buckhead by APD

quickdodge®
10-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Dekalb County shows $150. Don't know about Atlanta. Later, QD.

Doppelgänger
10-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Not that anyone can give you an answer on here, but I got popped for suspended registration in Hall county years back due to a glitch in the DDS/insurance reporting system....$785.

quickdodge®
10-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Not that anyone can give you an answer on here, but I got popped for suspended registration in Hall county years back due to a glitch in the DDS/insurance reporting system....$785.

I saw those fines as well. But he is running expired. Huge difference in fines from expiration and suspension. His won't be anywhere near that. It may even get tossed out. Later, QD.

98blackcivic
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
from what i remember the last time i went to court(gwinnett)
the persons had already gotten their registration validated(after the ticket) and were able to show it to the judge
who reduced their tickets to a fraction.

drpepper14
10-19-2011, 09:05 PM
From what I am seeing on Atlanta's muni court website...I will be required to go to court, and cannot just pay the fine. Of course this only seems to be the case if I am pulled over by APD...anywhere else and I just pay the fine online and walk away.

I will be calling the court house tomorrow to get more detailed info, but less than 24hrs from my ticket and I have already renewed my registration. Hoping that having it taken care of, and that I took care of it immediately, will help me if I do have to go to court.

Question if I do have to go to court: What do I do about representation? Should I get a lawyer, or can I just show up since this is just an expired tag?

[3000gt20s]
10-19-2011, 09:12 PM
about two years ago i got also got popped in dekalb for expired registration on my 3000gt. i went and renew my registration and took it to court on the date and the dismissed the case... dekalb s muni judge is actually not that bad.... good luck

[3000gt20s]
10-19-2011, 09:14 PM
From what I am seeing on Atlanta's muni court website...I will be required to go to court, and cannot just pay the fine. Of course this only seems to be the case if I am pulled over by APD...anywhere else and I just pay the fine online and walk away.

I will be calling the court house tomorrow to get more detailed info, but less than 24hrs from my ticket and I have already renewed my registration. Hoping that having it taken care of, and that I took care of it immediately, will help me if I do have to go to court.

Question if I do have to go to court: What do I do about representation? Should I get a lawyer, or can I just show up since this is just an expired tag?
dont have to get a lwyer. just renew your registration and go to on you court date with the fine amount .. most likely it will be dismissed but have the money just incase.

drpepper14
10-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Did you get pulled over by APD or dekalb?

Doppelgänger
10-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Did you get pulled over by APD or dekalb?

Do you use braille?

drpepper14
10-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Do you use braille?

Not sure what you mean by that? I asked him if he was pulled over by Dekalb police or Atlanta police...it makes a difference.

01CDMLUDER
10-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Not sure what you mean by that? I asked him if he was pulled over by Dekalb police or Atlanta police...it makes a difference.

He said that because you cannot read

Your question is answered in the 1st post

drpepper14
10-20-2011, 06:12 PM
He said that because you cannot read

Your question is answered in the 1st post

Sorry, I saw that he was pulled over "in dekalb", but I was asking which police dept actually pulled him over. I was pulled over in Fulton by the APD, not the Fulton county police. Unfortunately that appears to be the major difference here.

Pulled over by Fulton = Pay ticket online

Pulled over by Atlanta = Mandatory court appearance

Catnip
10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Do I need to worry about anything else, or can I just pay the ticket and forget about it?

Probably want to renew your registration, lol.

drpepper14
10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Probably want to renew your registration, lol.

lol, I could not have picked my car up from impound without the registration being renewed

Arm&hammer
10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
my wife went this morning for that same ticket and she had registration, but the tag office messed something up. so she went to fight it and the judge dropped it from 850 to 390. i am so pissed off but what can i do gwinnett is screwed up with all their bs.