PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Jun Stage 3 cams

jdmkiller
10-06-2011, 08:33 PM
looking at a set of jun stage 3's and was wondering what kind of power they would make.
b20, fully built, 12 to 1, ported gsr head, etc

1civic
10-06-2011, 08:38 PM
looking at a set of jun stage 3's and was wondering what kind of power they would make.
b20, fully built, 12 to 1, ported gsr head, etc

All depends on intake, who did port work, etc... Those are nice cams, I played with the blox C which is a copy of the JUN 3...

jdmkiller
10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
how did the blox's do?

1civic
10-06-2011, 09:00 PM
how did the blox's do?

Un-ported head on hot ass day (107) it made 220/150, car was street tuned..

Vteckidd
10-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Jun 3s are not a stage "3" cam . They are actually very mild almost identical to the skunk2 tuner stage 2s.

Bobby I think the blox cs are closer to the tuner stage 3s iirc. Still a good cam but not nearly as aggressive as the pro series.

SPOOLIN
10-08-2011, 09:48 PM
blox cams are doo doo

1civic
10-08-2011, 11:26 PM
blox cams are doo doo

coming from the guy who never used them...LOL, best bang for the buk!! HSL/C... Now a pro1 or pro2, for less than 450 new... I can't complain!!

SPOOLIN
10-08-2011, 11:43 PM
yeah, ive built engines with blox cams on a simple skunk2 valve train. FLAT SPOTS within a few months and the driver didnt even beat it up!

1civic
10-09-2011, 12:12 AM
yeah, ive built engines with blox cams on a simple skunk2 valve train. FLAT SPOTS within a few months and the driver didnt even beat it up!

and where do you think all these cams come from? Happens man, even with a billet cam shaft..

SPOOLIN
10-09-2011, 08:18 AM
If ur sayin skunk makes them.... Then they are using a lesser quality material than their cores. I've had the same skunk cams for several years and they have eaten rocker pads before eating them selves prior to switching to a real oil.

www.MSSRACING.com

1civic
10-09-2011, 01:29 PM
If ur sayin skunk makes them.... Then they are using a lesser quality material than their cores. I've had the same skunk cams for several years and they have eaten rocker pads before eating them selves prior to switching to a real oil.

All the cores come from the same place, and if I'm not mistaken Blox has the same cam grinder as your big name company, which they claim is done in house...LOL
Copy of a copy, which works to make power.. Not my choice for a Race motor, but good for a budget build and will turn heads..

Skunk2 grinds are proven, pro1 and pro2 are awesome for Boost and all motor... Pro3 has no limits all motor!! But not everyone has that money, so they look for others..

Now Blox has a Pro1 and Pro2, i'm interested in seeing the ramp rate, and over-all duration of those cams, I'd bet a copy, but they will work..

People say something can't be done, or say "it will not work", I say "why not","try it".. Same goes for boost or nos apps... You think my 12.5:1+ motor on a pro1 or pro2 would not be a beast with a 72mm turbo, hell even a 6262 would be crazy? I'm no turbo fan(no hate), but i'm still not afraid to shoot 100-150 shot, or even boost a High compression motor, knowing I have a good tuner..

just sayin!

Vteckidd
10-10-2011, 09:16 AM
All the cores come from the same place, and if I'm not mistaken Blox has the same cam grinder as your big name company, which they claim is done in house...LOL
Copy of a copy, which works to make power.. Not my choice for a Race motor, but good for a budget build and will turn heads..

not true at all. They use different cores and different grinders, and skunk2 does a different step the other people dont.

Skunk2 tried the "blox" way with their K Series cams and you can go search what happened with them. Blox doesnt have the same specs, they tried, but its not the same. They are a poor copy at best.

You are right they do perform decently well, and if youre on a budget people will run them. But id never do it personally.

FYI BC5s are more aggressive than PRO3s.

1civic
10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
not true at all. They use different cores and different grinders, and skunk2 does a different step the other people dont.

Skunk2 tried the "blox" way with their K Series cams and you can go search what happened with them. Blox doesnt have the same specs, they tried, but its not the same. They are a poor copy at best.

You are right they do perform decently well, and if youre on a budget people will run them. But id never do it personally.

FYI BC5s are more aggressive than PRO3s.

I tried to find that article I was reading, no luck though.. It had some info that was interesting, it was information which a cam grinder gave out.. If I find it again I'll post it...

As for the BC5's... Are they not a similar grind to the old 405? I've run the crower stuff(403-404) with good luck..

PRO3 VS BC5 .. Pro3 killed the BC5 all threw powerband..
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt292/RUHOLY/DynoPro3vsBC5-1.jpg

I've also spoke to "All Motor" from Honda tech and he claims his "reaper" cam is more aggressive than a Pro3, but I'm not willing to risk it..
He claims to have the spec's from the RM cams, and then did his thing... Sure you heard.. second link "guaranteed to outperform any off the shelf cam NA, nitrous, sc or Turbo"
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2907597
http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2935199

Vteckidd
10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I tried to find that article I was reading, no luck though.. It had some info that was interesting, it was information which a cam grinder gave out.. If I find it again I'll post it...

Things may have changed since i talked to them but from what i heard/saw Skunk2 uses a company called TOSER for their coilovers/suspension/exhaust parts.

Their cams are cores bought here in the USA or Japan( i forget but its the same cores Honda uses for their OEM Cams). They are ground overseas in mass production, but they are given an additional heat treatment back here in the usa that blox and others DONT do. Their cams are more expensive to make for this reason. They use different , higher quality metal compatible with the Honda rocker arms.

David Hsu said they wont compromise on cam quality because of this reason. They want cams to last as long as OEM ones. Their track record (besides the K Cams) seems to back that up. The K Cams they tried to use non OEM cores, and they had a rash of problems with them.

Blox uses chinese cores , they arent the same quality as skunk2.

Not to be arrogant but i did a ton of business overseas in china, theres some info i cant post on here but if you PM me ill tell you. There to the cam industry than that.

As for the BC5's... Are they not a similar grind to the old 405? I've run the crower stuff(403-404) with good luck..

We tested BC5s vs PRO3s on my motor and several others and the BC5s always made more tope end power but suffered in the midrange. Thats why i kept my PRO3s. THe BC5s also had coilbinding issues IIRC with certain valvetrain.

I've also spoke to "All Motor" from Honda tech and he claims his "reaper" cam is more aggressive than a Pro3, but I'm not willing to risk it..
He claims to have the spec's from the RM cams, and then did his thing... Sure you heard.. second link "guaranteed to outperform any off the shelf cam NA, nitrous, sc or Turbo"
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2907597

isnt his name blake or chris or something? im willing to bet $100 his "cam" is actually Don Flores. They were talking about making cams awhile back as don has a guy at crower or web or something that makes custom ones for him all the time. Ive spoken to the All Motor guy before, he didnt seem like he had the technical knowledge to build a cam. Which is A TON of engineering, its not just lift and duration.

I highly doubt his cam is more viable than the skunk2 on average. Skunk2 has Hsu which is a Cal Tech engineer (west coast MIT), and millions of dollars of equipment to R&D. i cant see some kid on HT making a better cam than them HAHA

I personally still think the PRO3 is the best cam out. There are ones that will compare to it, or im sure its lost on some dynoes, but overall i think its tough to beat

Vteckidd
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
EDIT: those are rocket blanks.

Rocket is a cool guy, and i ran his M22Xs before anyone else and i liked them. But i had more success on Skunk2 cams personally. Im willing to be these are rocket designed camshafts, or don flores designed camshafts that rocket made and gave to someone else to sell them since rocket doesnt get on the forums anymore

and honestly that guy always talks alot but nothing ever happens. I had Rockets M24X Cams originally and they got slaughtered by my BC5s and PRO3s. Even though i was guaranteed "more power than anything else".
I highly doubt those reaper cams are anymroe than hype

1civic
10-10-2011, 12:35 PM
EDIT: those are rocket blanks.

Rocket is a cool guy, and i ran his M22Xs before anyone else and i liked them. But i had more success on Skunk2 cams personally. Im willing to be these are rocket designed camshafts, or don flores designed camshafts that rocket made and gave to someone else to sell them since rocket doesnt get on the forums anymore

and honestly that guy always talks alot but nothing ever happens. I had Rockets M24X Cams originally and they got slaughtered by my BC5s and PRO3s. Even though i was guaranteed "more power than anything else".
I highly doubt those reaper cams are anymroe than hype

I agree. I spoke with him about the "reaper" and he said if they don't make more power all around I could then send them back and he would do another set.. Seems he wants a cam to work well, but very risky.. He admitted on the phone that he had the spec's for all the rocket cams.. He then admitted to using DonF for R&D...

Guy up north has his reaper cam, I'll look for the video.. Still haven't seen any test, only what he has said... well that and the video, which did ok in that car..

About the cams, I knew about the extra treatment skunk2 does, but the blox are the same cores, that was what I was trying to get out.. all motor claims he has that same core as well.. grinder was web I think, but even then I'm unsure.. Most of my findings have been that comp does alot, but it's so much cheaper for them to use china and it come back for retail... Crazy stuff which gets deep, same goes for the headers, but I'm sure you knew that..

Vteckidd
10-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree. I spoke with him about the "reaper" and he said if they don't make more power all around I could then send them back and he would do another set.. Seems he wants a cam to work well, but very risky.. He admitted on the phone that he had the spec's for all the rocket cams.. He then admitted to using DonF for R&D...

Guy up north has his reaper cam, I'll look for the video.. Still haven't seen any test, only what he has said... well that and the video, which did ok in that car..

About the cams, I knew about the extra treatment skunk2 does, but the blox are the same cores, that was what I was trying to get out.. all motor claims he has that same core as well.. grinder was web I think, but even then I'm unsure.. Most of my findings have been that comp does alot, but it's so much cheaper for them to use china and it come back for retail... Crazy stuff which gets deep, same goes for the headers, but I'm sure you knew that..

Id be very surprised of Blox used the same cores skunk2 does.

Blox WAS (i dont know if it still is) owned by David She who used to work for David Hsu (owner of SKunk2). David She got fired for some reasons, and since he knew where Hsu was having his cams ground, he found an investor and went overseas and made an offer to the company to buy up any "rejected skunk2" camshafts. WHich he did. He then sold them under Skunk2s name but in non yellow or black boxes. they were white. After he sold all those, he bankrolled Blox and began making his own cams which were carbon copies of the Skunk2 tuner series.

At this time Hsu became extremely upset that the chinese factory would sell the cams behind his back to someone else. So he bought a factory in China which supposedly only his stuff and skunk2s is sent. This keeps any other party from getting in. He told me (and charles from mainstream) back in 05/06 that the PRO cams were made to put Blox out of business. That they had developed a cam technology that She couldnt copy. Or it would take him some time.

He said they used OEM honda cores, ground in china at S2 facility, then mailed back to the USA to be heat treated. (supposedly he owns the US facility as well). Basically he saves on machine time in the USA which is around $50-100 /hr and its 1/10th of that in china.

From what i understand, Blox purchases cores FROM china, which arent the same standard as the Skunk2 cores.

No us manufacturers ever touch the import cams (skunk, blox, etc). Now i have heard that crowers son formed BRIAN CROWER and has everything made in china, Crower does not and refuses to.

All Motor probably has the same core that rocket uses which is a chilled cast core, not billet like IPS. Its a very similar cam to OEM but not the same. If you look at Rockets edgings compared to your Honda OEM cam you can see the difference in manufacturing. ROcket also uses someone from WEb i believe to make his cams, or he did back in the day.

1civic
10-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Id be very surprised of Blox used the same cores skunk2 does.

Blox WAS (i dont know if it still is) owned by David She who used to work for David Hsu (owner of SKunk2). David She got fired for some reasons, and since he knew where Hsu was having his cams ground, he found an investor and went overseas and made an offer to the company to buy up any "rejected skunk2" camshafts. WHich he did. He then sold them under Skunk2s name but in non yellow or black boxes. they were white. After he sold all those, he bankrolled Blox and began making his own cams which were carbon copies of the Skunk2 tuner series.

At this time Hsu became extremely upset that the chinese factory would sell the cams behind his back to someone else. So he bought a factory in China which supposedly only his stuff and skunk2s is sent. This keeps any other party from getting in. He told me (and charles from mainstream) back in 05/06 that the PRO cams were made to put Blox out of business. That they had developed a cam technology that She couldnt copy. Or it would take him some time.

He said they used OEM honda cores, ground in china at S2 facility, then mailed back to the USA to be heat treated. (supposedly he owns the US facility as well). Basically he saves on machine time in the USA which is around $50-100 /hr and its 1/10th of that in china.

From what i understand, Blox purchases cores FROM china, which arent the same standard as the Skunk2 cores.

No us manufacturers ever touch the import cams (skunk, blox, etc). Now i have heard that crowers son formed BRIAN CROWER and has everything made in china, Crower does not and refuses to.

All Motor probably has the same core that rocket uses which is a chilled cast core, not billet like IPS. Its a very similar cam to OEM but not the same. If you look at Rockets edgings compared to your Honda OEM cam you can see the difference in manufacturing. ROcket also uses someone from WEb i believe to make his cams, or he did back in the day.

Good info... I'm interested in seeing how the BC stuff turns out, since most of the stuff I bought was under Crower..