PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Anyone familiar with abandoned vehicle laws?

metalmatt47
09-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Not going to get too detailed right now, but I know of a Shiro 300ZX that's been sitting abandoned for some time after it was stolen from it's original owner. It was never recovered from the owner after the theif was arrested, and ownership was forfeited (according to a local who gave me a lengthy back story)

Anyways, the car is up for grabs. Just curious if anyone knows or has dealt with recovering an 'abandoned vehicle' or getting one legally.

-EnVus-
09-24-2011, 03:04 AM
The abandoned vehicle will have to be ran through the ads of the local news. It goes for 30 days to see if anyone comes forth to claim it. If that cleRs then it can be auctioned off or some rare cases the property owner can apply for a title.
Pain the ass to go through paper work and hassle.

metalmatt47
09-24-2011, 01:58 PM
The abandoned vehicle will have to be ran through the ads of the local news. It goes for 30 days to see if anyone comes forth to claim it. If that cleRs then it can be auctioned off or some rare cases the property owner can apply for a title.
Pain the ass to go through paper work and hassle.

Spoke to the Douglasville county sheriffs office today. I was told the case that the vehicle (along with a few others) was involved in was about 4-5 years old, and that the owners were notified several years ago to come re-posses their vehicles. Many never did (this one included) and because they didn't, they forfeited ownership. It was never towed to an impound lot because the state never had the resources to remove and store all the cars never recovered by their owners.

I'm gonna probably end up meeting a police officer out there to verify it's one of the lot, even though the Sheriff told me he was sure since he recognized the description. Then I have paperwork to do. Lots of paperwork.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l19/metalmonkey47/_DSC0020.jpg

chaseamundo
09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
well good luck and hope it works out for you.