PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods ***Which trans to use?***

chaseamundo
09-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Im going to keep this as simple as possible. I have a GSR i am boosting and my gsr trans is not good whatsoever.

Which trans would be better as far as the turbo setup goes? the long geared LS trans or short Gear gsr? I have a .57 trim t3/t4 turbo on it, so i was thinking the high RPM's of the sort gear tranny would be good for spooling but other people argue that the long gear LS is a must.

So i'd like to get some reputable/knowledgeable opinions on this subject.
Thanks-chase

Sammich
09-23-2011, 01:37 PM
i dont think there is a long geared gsr trans, you must be thinking about the b16...but i'd run a ls/gsr trans, personally...longer legs

chaseamundo
09-23-2011, 01:59 PM
LS trans is longer geared than the gsr.
The argument im posing basically is Short gear or long gear for boost.

Jdm94Coupe
09-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Shorter is always better, for acceleration. Ls will get you better gas mileage when cruising.

Acceleration....... b16
Gas mileage....... ls
Sell ur gsr tranny

DarKStaR
09-23-2011, 08:50 PM
I always liked the gsr trans on a boosted b series. Especially if you drive it around town or on the highway alot. Keeps the rpms down while crusing but still has the shorter gear than the ls for when *off road use only* things come about lol. I used a GSR on my ls/v with a 57 trim and ran the times in my sig.

spank
09-23-2011, 09:18 PM
gsr...i had it and i loved it sell yours and get mines it got a quaife lsd..lol

jdm eg6
09-23-2011, 09:23 PM
gsr...i had it and i loved it sell yours and get mines it got a quaife lsd..lol

gsr with lsd ftw

Jdm94Coupe
09-23-2011, 09:57 PM
gsr with lsd ftw

Unless u race a b16 with lsd...... then in that case its FTL

Dylan
09-23-2011, 10:55 PM
I personally prefer the LS transmission. As far as a driving experience goes it's more fun. Other B series transmissions seem to have too short of gears with boost.

spank
09-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Unless u race a b16 with lsd...... then in that case its FTL

b16 is good for about 120mph and drag racing

Jdm94Coupe
09-24-2011, 03:12 AM
And how often do most ppl go over 120mph?...... the point is, you will get to "120mph" like you say faster with the b16 tranny over the gsr and ls.

Op, get a b16 tranny with a ls fifth gear and call it a day.

spank
09-24-2011, 03:50 PM
we don't have all the info about his turbo is it a ball bearing and whats the brand ?my thing is if you have a fast spooling turbo you don't need a b16 tranny....PS you can always change the final drive in your gsr tranny if you want shorter gearing or longer gearing

chaseamundo
09-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Yea its a journal bearing turbonetics...

Jdm94Coupe
09-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Or u can change the final drive in the b16 and really accelerate faster!

spank
09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
^^^lmao

Jdm94Coupe
09-24-2011, 07:15 PM
U r getting it now, lol

spank
09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
lol...yea

jdm eg6
09-26-2011, 09:32 PM
one thing i hate about b16 tranny is that when ur cruising on the hwy 70mph at 4-5k rpm wasting gas and if u have a small turbo you'll be wasting even more gas

jdm eg6
09-26-2011, 09:34 PM
i think it depends on how big ur turbo is going to be and how much power

Jdm94Coupe
09-26-2011, 09:58 PM
one thing i hate about b16 tranny is that when ur cruising on the hwy 70mph at 4-5k rpm wasting gas and if u have a small turbo you'll be wasting even more gas

ls 5th gear. problem solved

jdm eg6
09-26-2011, 11:17 PM
ls 5th gear. problem solved
true...

v8killr
09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
And how often do most ppl go over 120mph?...... the point is, you will get to "120mph" like you say faster with the b16 tranny over the gsr and ls.

Op, get a b16 tranny with a ls fifth gear and call it a day.

I would imagine if you're drag racing then 120mph should be within reach if you're pushing any kind of power. And shifting into 5th would REALLY suck! The GSR tranny is an all around great tranny. If you want lsd then go with a type-r tranny. I dunno...its just personal preference. I would rather buy a GSR tranny and call it a day instead of buying a b16, find a ls 5th, buy a ls 5th, open the tranny, pull the b16 5th out, install the ls 5th, close tranny up, etc, etc... And it isn't going to be that big of a difference between the b16 and the gsr. ESPECIALLY when/if you're spinning.

Jdm94Coupe
09-28-2011, 06:07 PM
I would imagine if you're drag racing then 120mph should be within reach if you're pushing any kind of power. And shifting into 5th would REALLY suck! The GSR tranny is an all around great tranny. If you want lsd then go with a type-r tranny. I dunno...its just personal preference. I would rather buy a GSR tranny and call it a day instead of buying a b16, find a ls 5th, buy a ls 5th, open the tranny, pull the b16 5th out, install the ls 5th, close tranny up, etc, etc... And it isn't going to be that big of a difference between the b16 and the gsr. ESPECIALLY when/if you're spinning.

B16 and ITR have the same ratios homie. You say you would do the gsr but then you say you would go with a type r tranny....... and it will be a difference if you are racing a car built similar to yours and you have a gsr and they have a b16 tranny..... and when you drag race you use slicks, so spinning should be at a mininum.

jdm eg6
09-28-2011, 09:45 PM
B16 and ITR have the same ratios homie. You say you would do the gsr but then you say you would go with a type r tranny....... and it will be a difference if you are racing a car built similar to yours and you have a gsr and they have a b16 tranny..... and when you drag race you use slicks, so spinning should be at a mininum.
x2 and ur just gonna spend more money on a itr tranny just cuz is a itr tranny

v8killr
09-29-2011, 08:28 AM

Like I said...its personal preference. I personally have ran low 11's on a stock open diff gsr tranny and really didnt have ANY spinning issues at all. I have seen people hit 9's with a stock open diff gsr tranny. So what exactly is the argument here? Right now I have a gsr tranny with a type-r diff. It really has been the BEST tranny I have ever owned. Dead hooks...fun on the streets.

Only reason I said type-r tranny is if you really felt you needed the lsd and didnt want to do any work internally to a tranny. Easiest route. But hey...thats just me. If I had the time and tools...mostly the time....then I would enjoy building my own trannys. lol

chaseamundo
09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
But is the short gear better for boost? Or long gears to spool up turbo etc?

v8killr
09-30-2011, 07:51 PM

Man, youre talking a difference that you really wont even feel honestly. Ive had an ls tranny and a gsr tranny....both were good but for some reason I always liked the gsr best. So gsr gets my vote. :)

spank
09-30-2011, 08:42 PM
^^^ x2

h22 jones
10-02-2011, 08:56 PM

You are going to run a faster time with a b16 tranny then a ls period. So your question is which one is better for boost ? Well if the b16 tranny is faster then its better unless you mean you would like better gas mileage. I dd a b16 tranny every day and get over 30 miles to the gallon how much gas mileage you want ? Back ten years ago all the turbo guys bought ls trannys thinking theyw were better for boost . Nobody back then ran the times that they do now with less hp . They shoukld have ran b16 trannys . For street cars you cant really see a big difference honestly. I build trannys and the best gearing ive seen so far is a b16 1,2,3 gsr 4 ,and ls fifth . Thats what i run and it owrks the best for me. If i was you i would get onto the tranny gear ratio calculator punch in some numbers and see what will work best for you. As for lsd thats a whole different debate all together. If you need a tranny built for you or if you want to seel yours or get it fixed just text me . I am a ia sponsor also. 478-808-9122

Jdm94Coupe
10-03-2011, 01:19 PM
You are going to run a faster time with a b16 tranny then a ls period. So your question is which one is better for boost ? Well if the b16 tranny is faster then its better unless you mean you would like better gas mileage. I dd a b16 tranny every day and get over 30 miles to the gallon how much gas mileage you want ? Back ten years ago all the turbo guys bought ls trannys thinking theyw were better for boost . Nobody back then ran the times that they do now with less hp . They shoukld have ran b16 trannys . For street cars you cant really see a big difference honestly. I build trannys and the best gearing ive seen so far is a b16 1,2,3 gsr 4 ,and ls fifth . Thats what i run and it owrks the best for me. If i was you i would get onto the tranny gear ratio calculator punch in some numbers and see what will work best for you. As for lsd thats a whole different debate all together. If you need a tranny built for you or if you want to seel yours or get it fixed just text me . I am a ia sponsor also. 478-808-9122

They never listen to anything I say, they always wait for the experts to chime in! Lol

B16 is your best bet. Ls 5th gear if u want gas mileage on the hwy.

v8killr
10-10-2011, 11:17 PM
LOL this is crazy. You will not feel that big of a difference so just get whichever you find first for a good deal. If you search H-T, you will see 99% of everyone in the low 10's/high 9's running a gsr tranny. I REALLY dont think it matters this much. :)

JF868849
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I say go with a b16 tranny that's what I got lsvtec with t25 b16 tranny with LSD and it gets the job done and i drive it a lot and gas millage isn't as bad as u think it would be I get 25mpg+ on the highway believe it or not that's crusing at 75 at about 5k rpm I say b16 lol

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

h22 jones
10-31-2011, 10:14 PM
LOL this is crazy. You will not feel that big of a difference so just get whichever you find first for a good deal. If you search H-T, you will see 99% of everyone in the low 10's/high 9's running a gsr tranny. I REALLY dont think it matters this much. :)

Do you really beleive that the tranny doesnt matter that much ? So you will buy a header for 600 dollars that might make 5 more hp and probably not even change your time in the quarter but paying 100 more for a b16 over a gsr which might give you 3 tenths is not that much ? Really man ? The tranny is everything why you think a h2b runs high 12s over a h to h running mid 13s by just changing the tranny. Getting your tranny right is the cheapest power you will find . I would pay 600 for a 4.9 final for my tranny to dropp me half a second in the quarter verses 600 for a header to hopefully get a tenth off. Saying the tranny doesnt matter that much is the worst comment ive heard in along time. If he doesnt race and dont care about speed then sure but if thats the case why did he post a thread asking ?

EmminoDaGreat
11-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Just for the record, josh green and jody where both running b16's w/ lsd.