PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Salvage title

02Bugeye
09-19-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm Considering buying a car that has a salvage title. From what I can tell, it just needs new front end body parts bolted on...nothing bent according to the owner. I've read that only someone certified can rebuild it, but I've also heard you can repair it yourself and have it inspected. I'm in ga of course. I've done a good bit of body work in the past so this wouldnt be hard to fix. So which is it? Anybody have experience with this?

rickgiblin
09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
does it have a salvage title or a salvage rebuilt title? if im not mistaking, you can build 2 per year but there is a WHOLE lot of things that go into doing so. i know one of my coworkers just rebuilt one at his house but i think he has a rebuilders liscense. i know a few years ago, it was true that the only one alowed to rebuild salvage was a liscensed rebuilder due to all the backyard hacking going on. but the onlyy person who can give you ann exact answer is the tag/title office.

02Bugeye
09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking just a salvage title, because the guy was parting it out on craigslist and everything is there except for the front end body parts and the engine. The airbags are good, so it must have been a low speed hit.

i4_garage
09-20-2011, 04:37 AM
call dmw. If wreck in ga you need Before and After pictures.
Dont paint the part you fixed. I think its three forms.
200 bones also

HolleyStyle
09-20-2011, 09:01 AM
my car was totaled out about a year ago and i rebuilt it myself. more time consuming with paperwork than anythning. take before and after pics. replace the parts with no paint so that they can see what all got replaced. keep all receipts of parts replaced. Call DMV and they have a mobile tech that will come inspect it and bring you all the paper work its about $200 fore him to come. once you pass inspection you send the paperwork to the state and they will make it have a rebuilt title and send it back to you and your good to go.

02Bugeye
09-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Yea I called a salvage place and they said you can rebuild it yourself. That was my main question cause I didn't want to pay someone else to do something I could do. Now my only question is that if the title can be signed over to me with no problem. The guy bought the car from a salvage auction so on the title, I assume it shows that he is the owner, but usually, the title gets sent off to be put in their name, but I don't think that's the case here since it still has the salvage label.