PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Hehrruh Frush. Advise needed by the masters.

Sicko
09-03-2011, 03:22 PM
So...ahh. Is there a formula to work with or is it a matter of just slapping some wide a** rims on a car and then working with spacers? Thinking about going w-i-d-e with the new daily driver (2012 Fucus) and am trying to guesstimate on what size tires to use or if I should sell the rims and start over in a more conservative manor.

stock- 17x7 50mm offset.

28mm front and 35mm rear between outer lip to outer most fender surface.

Purchased: 18x8.5 38mm

By my calculations, these rims will be outboard of the fender by 3 mm in the front and inboard of the rear fender surface by 4mm with no current camber offerings for the car and not a lot of play in current suspension from what I read. (car will still have an inch wheel gap after Eibach springs are put in.

Do I dare go with a 215 on these rims to roll the sidewalls? No, car will never be on a track.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

DynamicSound
09-03-2011, 03:55 PM
You can do 215's all day long on the 8.5" wheel...225 if you want a mild stretch. I am doing 225 on my 9.5's. Based on your info, you wheels will still be in 11mm inside your fender. You can do a 5mm spacer to bring it out a little, but anything more than that you will want to do a bolt-on spacer to be safe. They make as small as a 15mm bolt-on spacer, but it will need to be tested on your car first since sometimes the wheels will not cover your stock studs.

Sicko
09-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I edited initial post with more accurate measurements.