PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods boosted d series

clumsy_smurf
08-30-2011, 12:28 AM
i just picked up my first boosted car. bad thing is its a d15b7 boosted with an ebay kit and stock internals on 5lbs. i know this is most likely a common question but what is the safest psi i could run until i have to start building the motor? someone told me 8lbs

j0nbunklah0m
08-30-2011, 01:18 AM
most people say to run under 10lbs. best bet is get your fuel pump and injectors upgraded and a good tune.

clumsy_smurf
08-30-2011, 09:52 AM
yea thats the plan, i was just wondering if i could bump it to 8psi and be fine

carbon_crash
08-30-2011, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't boost too much on a b7 Lol

crxlifer21
08-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Psi has has nothing to do with it. It all depends on what turbo you have. A t25 and a GT3076R will make a huge difference at the same boost level. I would make sure the kit is in good working order and have it retuned for around 180hp.

clumsy_smurf
08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
ok but what im asking is will it be ok to turn it up to 8lbs

Jdm94Coupe
08-30-2011, 06:55 PM
ok but what im asking is will it be ok to turn it up to 8lbs

did u not read anything he just said?

clumsy_smurf
08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
yea and it still hasnt answered my question at all.

Jdm94Coupe
08-30-2011, 10:46 PM
U must be 11 years old. His first sentence says it has nothing to do with psi. Then u come back and ask is it ok to turn it to 8psi.... he's saying it might be ok on a super 60 turbo and not ok on a gt35r..... tell us more info man, on the turbo and the setup itself. Arp headstuds?

clumsy_smurf
08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
yea im 11, dude no im 20, first boosted car ever, cut me some slack here. and if u would of read my first post it clearly states, stock internals. its ebay turbo kit thats on it, no tune, stock everything. the guy i got the car from slapped it on there and drove it.

Jdm94Coupe
08-31-2011, 03:30 AM
Take it to get tuned, let the tuner worry about the psi.

Theycall_Metue
08-31-2011, 12:15 PM
i ran complete stock d15b7 with ebay kit for a good while.
only thing i changed was a fresh advance auto head gasket and arp head stud.
I ran fine with 12psi on ebay t3/t4 turbo. spike 18psi and it still hold. it all depend on the tune.
stock rods, i wouldn't suggest anything higher than 12psi on t3/t4 turbo.

people say, after 10 psi or so on a turbo larger than t25, the head will start to lift with oem head bolts.

undrgrndrdr1
08-31-2011, 12:30 PM
what everyone is saying is that it comes down to the size of your turbo to know what your motor can handle... a larger turbo at 8 psi will make way more power than a smaller turbo at 8 psi... the b7 motor has very weak rods and i wouldnt think could handle much over 200 hp for a long period of time... what it seems most people are saying is be safe... aka upgrade fuel pump and injectors and get a good safe tune... shoot for 200hp or below in my opinion and as for what psi that depends on the trim of your turbo... if you want to be really safe... pull the head and get a metal headgasket and arp studs but still wouldnt go crazy...

btw i have a chipped p06 with boost basemap for non vtec single cam... would be perfect for you to use for tuning...

Theycall_Metue
08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
to be honest, if your asking us if its safe to run this and that psi. sounds like you haven't do your homework bro.
boost/nitrous is big boy stuff. one mistake and there goes your motor..... just my 2cent

if you have any question, i suggest pming jdm94coupe, he has the big brain about d-sires building, i just know the basic.

JF868849
08-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Bump it up to 25psi! Haha before I put my built y8 in I had a b7 in my coupe and the day I got done building the y8 I turned the boost up to 25 psi on a 60trim :D lasted about 3 pulls Haha. No but real I would strongly suggest get a good tune and like the other guy said let the tuner worry about what psi and gl

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Jdm94Coupe
08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
to be honest, if your asking us if its safe to run this and that psi. sounds like you haven't do your homework bro.
boost/nitrous is big boy stuff. one mistake and there goes your motor..... just my 2cent

if you have any question, i suggest pming jdm94coupe, he has the big brain about d-sires building, i just know the basic.

I don't know very much......honestly.

clumsy_smurf
09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
i know how to build any motor i just dont know about boost. but thanks guys, as for undrgrndrdr1, how much u want for it? right now im broke and have to pay government b.s.

clumsy_smurf
09-03-2011, 04:17 PM
also how do i adjust my bov? bad part...its ebay

Theycall_Metue
09-04-2011, 12:34 AM
also how do i adjust my bov? bad part...its ebay
http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/80359-how-adjust-blowoff-valve.html

Dylan
09-04-2011, 11:44 PM
You really should have done some research before this purchase. I honestly would say stay at the boost level you are, which I assume it's on wastegate. it isn't safe to drive any boosted car that isn't properly tuned and a stock single won't handle much more than 200 horsepower depending on mileage.

clumsy_smurf
09-05-2011, 02:43 PM
ok so i picked up a greddy type s boost controller for free today, i hooked it up like their website says but i dont believe its working right. i have all setting set to min, gain on about half. made a run and it went to 15lbs of boost, so i stopped testin befor i blew up my motor. to me i dont think the boost control valve in the bay is working right. it says its normal to hear it clicking but i dont hear it.

green91
09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I ran 14psi on a 150k d15b2 many years ago for over year no problems. i was deliberately trying to blow it up. All depends on the tune/engine health. I would have wnet higher but never changed the MAP sensor. This was using a DSM 14b so i would estimate 200-230whp but never had it dyno.

That being said, every person ive heard of that buys a boosted car and then slaps on a boost controller blows it up. Sounds like you need to do a lot of reading about FI set ups, tuning options, and engine potentials. Best of luck!

Jdm94Coupe
09-05-2011, 04:54 PM
At ur rate you're gonna blow it. Be patient and build it right, on the side, and not mess with what's in the bay before u end up with it not running at all. U have another car?

Dylan
09-05-2011, 08:46 PM
A boost controller is the last thing that you should be concerned about. You can get a decent base map in a chipped p28 for a reasonable price. Unless you have a second vehicle i wouldn't recommend messing around in unknown waters. Singles have great potential when built and tuned properly. Mine made 236hp and 190trq on 9 psi; however, I had the S300 which i highly recommend you getting if you plan on keeping your vehicle.

98blackcivic
09-07-2011, 01:42 AM
first you need to replace the turbo wit these
stock exhaust manifold or header
stock airbox or intake
second, you need to do your research before going out there and buying a boosted car...

i would NEVER buy a STOCK D series thats got a turbo kit slapped on there...
i did enough research on my D series when i had it to know what is what...RODS ARE WEAK!!

alot of people these days dont do enough google searches and enough reading to know what the hell is going on with their cars..
ive seen guys that do...and the guys that dont

and lemme just tell u...the guys that dont are FUCKING IDIOTS!...lol

98blackcivic
09-07-2011, 01:45 AM
this reminds me of an idiot i know around here....doesnt know a cocks worth of shit knowledge about any car...but will go around buying and trading b16s and sr20s..and then blows em all up...

this same guy once said in a conversation:
cant wait to build all motor turbo b16.

green91
09-07-2011, 07:12 AM
turbo stock d-series are fine within limits and a good tune. ive had several of them myself with no issues.

clumsy_smurf
09-07-2011, 04:13 PM
i have friends with boosted d's. i made this thread for people to help me not flame. i got the controller for free, im using it for now so i can get it tuned. im also buying a chipped ecu with a basemap for a stock d series boosted. i havent yet touched one thing on the car since ive owned it.

Dylan
09-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Im not trying to flame and I don't think anyone else is either. We're just telling you how to save what you have. And I would not trust that turbo kit to much boost. If the wastegate or bov goes out then the fun is over.

clumsy_smurf
09-08-2011, 05:24 PM
oh i know. everyone has told me this. i havent messed with any settings. as of now its only on like 4lbs of boost so. i dont even go into boost like most people would

Jdm94Coupe
09-09-2011, 10:07 AM
when it gets tuned you can get tuned on vacuum, you dont even need a controller.... just get a tune and call it a day. and i was definitely not trying to "flame"

Theycall_Metue
09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
if your not running right, why in hell would you ride with boost controller.
enough trouble with boost and you just add more boost isn't going to fix the problem. not bashing, just my 2cents

clumsy_smurf
09-09-2011, 07:30 PM
i have the controller set at 5lbs. like ive been saying if ud read, i havent touched anything

LSTurboHatch
09-30-2011, 05:17 PM
You also said it went to 15psi. so obviously you were messing with stuff. you shouldnt hit any boost until you have a chipped ecu, injectors, and atleast a basemap. but you probably wont listen to me either.

SoLJames95
10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
1 of My Many Expierences:
Im going to chime in. BEcause I have had my fair share of turboed Ds. My first one was a d15b7. LISTEN closely! It was d15b7 with 224k stock everything. I had 440 injectors, walbro, T25 turbo(internal wastegate). I had a chipped ECU tuned by Scotty at Mainstream. Made 220/190 at 9psi it was only tuned for 9psi. I ran that for a year and half beating the shit out of it. I then slapped a boost controller in there and push it to 12 then spiked 16. THEN BOOM! Due to not being tuned past 9 PSI. DETONATED! meaning i could fist my block and see right through it. Ill list vouches if need be. lol

Tips/Tricks/Facts:
So what you should have gotten out of this is make sure you have your fuel, and a good program/tune. Turbo is whoever you ask. If your running an internal wastgate just bend the actuator. causing it to rise 1-4 psi dependin on the bend.( i dont recommend,but easy to do) lol :D if its external put a different spring in. or just T it off with vacuum lines. Boost controller should not be in.

Conclusion and a Close Thread Statement:
If its not tuned I DONT RECOMMEND GETTING INTO ANY KIND OF BOOST UNTIL YOU HAVE A TUNE! :) hope this helps! and when you do, have fun

clumsy_smurf
10-04-2011, 10:37 AM
recently got my basemap in from phearble, solved all my probs i have with boost that i had to fix from the previous owner. i just started work and currently looking for a z6 to swap and semi build for boost around 6 to 7lbs

ed_gm90
12-08-2011, 04:04 PM
hey guys, sorry to bring up this old thread but I have 2 quick questions about the b7, can a d16a6 block be mated to it? and is there any other option besides crower rods?

green91
12-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Yes you can use the b7 head, but you'll need an adjustable cam gear if you use the b7 cam. Eagle makes rods for d16, and also there are some other custom rods by tunertoys and some other brands.

ed_gm90
12-08-2011, 11:50 PM
thanks for replying, will the eagle rods fit with vitara pistons and the b7 head though?

green91
12-09-2011, 07:10 AM
iirc the b7 is almost identicle to the a6/b2 heads so it would probably work fine. but if you're going to build the engine and and the head off anyway, youre better off picking up a used z6 or y8 head IMO. Ive gotten them for like $100 in the past in good shape. then youve got vtec and the best flowing of d-series heads.

00CiViC00
01-07-2012, 11:59 AM
iMO when you buy some random basemap off the internet , with this company having no idea what size inj, trurbo, fuel pump,your running on your car , or what climate u live in , is like sending Ray Charles out to do your grocery shopping for you , just doesn't seem like a good outcome . I Mean your out putting 15lbs on a basemap ???when you shouldnt even be in bOOst.