PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods broken turbo stud

Destineal
08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
I didn't know where to place this issue, so I put it here. I was trying to remove a stud from my turbo on the DP side and it broke. I drilled a hole in it, put a extractor in it, and broke the tip ofthe extractor off in the stud . I tried to drill through it with titanium and cobalt bits with no luck. Machine shop said get a new turbo but I'd run 4 bolts before doing something wasteful like that. I thought about chisels but I didn't see a cold chisel small enough and I didn't know if a wood chisel would be strong enough. I also read that if you torched it until it was glowing hot, it would be drillable after that but propane is all I have on hand and it isn't capable of such a task. Any ideas?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/destineal/2011-08-24053031.jpg

jcs
08-25-2011, 05:12 PM
why not just completely drill out and retap..its hard to belive that a titanium bit wont go through it,have you tried a maybe a bit with a carbon coated tip??and also i know it can be obvious but keeping the drill bit cool with lube helps..something like boe lube.

tnomud
08-26-2011, 01:03 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that stud is going to be a BITCH to get out. That stud has been heated to 1600+ degrees, thousands of times. Every time that turbo and stud expand and contract, they seat more and more. The stud is also 5 zillion times harder now. That being said, I have done this and I still wimper when I think about it. put some penetrating oil on it over night. Heat it with a torch, use a very small titanium drill bit to get things started. Be sure to lube the bit while drilling. This will give the stud some room in the center to "stretch back in" if you will. This task must be done in baby steps. Snapping off another bit or an easy out will double your time, so be patient. Keep heating, and slowly increasing bit size. You will eventualy get it to a point where you can dremel in a slot and twist it out with a small chisle and hammer.

tnomud
08-26-2011, 01:05 AM
go to Industrial Services on Dividend in PTC, ask for justin. He's a gearhead and can get it out.

Sinfix_15
08-27-2011, 12:23 AM
A trip to autozone would answer this question for you.... then for the cool price of $21.99 you can buy the tap and die set they would recommend to you.

carbon_crash
08-27-2011, 02:20 PM
If you can't get it out, just buy a new exhaust housing

SPOOLIN
08-27-2011, 10:58 PM
man ive never had my machine shop tell me they couldnt get a stud out. That can easily be taken out by an experienced machine shop and youll be on your way. time to order some ARP studs to replace them.