PDA

View Full Version : Major issues with civic

JDBenson
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I've got some issues that are beyond my tech level and any help you guys can give me would be a huge help. Here is what I've got going on. 93 civic hatch with 270k on D15 motor. Only mods are intake, headers, test pipe, and exhaust. Issues are a rough idle, radiator fluid leaking somewhere, hard time starting, and going over 55 makes the car billow smoke out the exhaust.
For the starting of the car I have replaced the starter a few days ago and it didn't fix the issue. When I start the car the engine makes a couple knocking noises while the car tries starting. Usually it takes a couple times for the car to sound like its trying to ignite and even then its jerky.
The radiator leak seems to be coming from to much pressure and steam leaking out of the reservoir. Its a good bit of fluid that peaks outand some hoses have been replaced and the radiator with the motor. The motor does not seem to turn on at all...
With the rough idle its really bad. The while car shakes. I can smell gas from the misfires.
I'm not sure what's going on with the smoke other than I can't put too much pressure on the pedal or it will smoke pretty bad. It sometimes does it when I first start up.
Thanks for reading and any help or insight you can provide would be helpful.

EmminoDaGreat
08-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Headgasket, could be severely blown causing it to smoke and run like shit. Also does it have any check engine lights?

98blackcivic
08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
replace motor and everything that makes the motor run fine...

i hate hearing about shit like this...
sounds like someone has neglected their car a bit..

JDBenson
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
No check engine lights. No leaking around the head gasket. Any other thoughts?

JDBenson
08-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm working with a limited budget so yeah maybe a little. You know any places that have a D series motor they could swap in without having to fork out a lot of cash?

EmminoDaGreat
08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't have any d series longblocks, but can swap it out pretty cheap

Srt
08-08-2011, 05:55 PM
More than likely your head gasket man, rad leaks, rough idle, and smoke are major symptoms. I'd swap the motor ^^ EmminoDaGreat is an awesome guy, I've bought some parts from him before, he's honest with his work/prices.

EmminoDaGreat
08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks!

SUV Blogger
08-09-2011, 12:41 AM
after swapping an engine, make sure the ECU ground wires are securely connected to the thermostat housing. Easy and common to forget those. resolder the main relay next. The CEL should come on and then go out when you turn the key on but don't crank. Put the test jumper in place and read out the code blinking on the CEL. Note that if the test jumper is already in place and there are no codes, the CEL will light up steady all the time like you describe.

Best Regards
Shreya Mehta
Check our interesting Honda (http://www.suvblogger.com/car-reviews/2010-compact-suv-honda-cr-v/) suv reviews on suvblogger.com

JDBenson
08-09-2011, 06:25 AM
I've had him install springs at his shop before. Good work.

thepolecat
08-09-2011, 07:18 AM
what is the temp doing on the engine- all these issues it seems like it should running hot.