PDA

View Full Version : POLK db series

StreetSweepn
11-23-2005, 08:19 PM
what do yall think bout the polk db series speakers? im thinkin bout changin everything out for those this month the 6x9s and 6 3/4 compnent sets

XBLG20
11-23-2005, 09:15 PM
go with the SR or MOMO series if you want polk

BanginJimmy
11-24-2005, 01:19 AM
the momo's are a decent line of speakers, but to be completely honest Polk is mid line company. Their stuff works ok, but it is made more for looks than for perfomance.

XBLG20
11-24-2005, 05:11 AM
it goes db then MOMO then SR ... SRs are like $750

BanginJimmy
11-24-2005, 09:39 AM
didnt know that. I'll have to find someone with a set of those.

Allstar3.8T
11-30-2005, 02:44 AM
I had a car full of Polk/Momo stuff, it was in thier booth at Nopi 2 yrs ago, it sounded great, and was quite loud. I also had a buddys car in thier booth this year w/ favorable results. The db series is true mid-line stuff Better than AudioBahn and those companies, but no MBQ, Diamond, Boston.
Its the best for the $$ I know of. I still prefer Diamond Audio, but its hard to eat steak on a hamburger helper budget.

CRAZY_JAY
11-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I don't know if their quality has gotten any better but I swore that I would never buy Polk again after my experience with them 3 years ago. I had their DB 6.5 components 6X9's and 4 DB 12s. I don't know if I just got a bad batch or what but after a couple of months with the rubber surround on all the speakers had become very weak and the subs would clip when they were at a volume that had no trouble the month before.

redgst97
11-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Crazy Jay - I think the warranty might be a "bit" longer than 3-4 months. if the surround was coming apart, you should have taken them beck for repair/replacement. However, that was 3-years ago....

The line was COMPLETELY changed about 2 years ago, so they are definatley playing with different stuff that what you had...

Additioanlly, "clipping" is not a term usually associated with a speaker. Typically its am amplifier term. Any chance you had an amplifer that was sending a poor (clipped) signal to the speakers?

For a "budget minded" system the Polk dB series is definatley worth a listen to. Are there others? Sure. For the money, theya re definatley worth looking into though.

Possibly you might even want to look at a nicer set of speakers (MOMO line) for the front, and the dB for the rear. Just an idea.

BanginJimmy
11-30-2005, 05:57 PM
for 170 you can get the RE RE comps. much better than the polks and just about the sae price.

CRAZY_JAY
11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Crazy Jay - I think the warranty might be a "bit" longer than 3-4 months. if the surround was coming apart, you should have taken them beck for repair/replacement. However, that was 3-years ago....

The line was COMPLETELY changed about 2 years ago, so they are definatley playing with different stuff that what you had...

Additioanlly, "clipping" is not a term usually associated with a speaker. Typically its am amplifier term. Any chance you had an amplifer that was sending a poor (clipped) signal to the speakers?

For a "budget minded" system the Polk dB series is definatley worth a listen to. Are there others? Sure. For the money, theya re definatley worth looking into though.

Possibly you might even want to look at a nicer set of speakers (MOMO line) for the front, and the dB for the rear. Just an idea.

Sorry, I may be using the wrong terminology here; basically there was a lot of play in the speakers. They would make the farting sound when the bass hit and nothing was blown and nothing was torn there was just no tension keeping the voice coil from doing whatever the hell it wanted to do. I could not return them because the subs were bought from accommodation directly from Polk when I worked at Circuit City and I got them so cheap it was not even worth paying shipping and dealing with the hassle but I bought the mids in the store and they did get swapped out (it is amazing what a 110 outlet will do to a set of 6.5 components).

redgst97
12-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Again, I think if the speaker is "farting" and bottoming out, that was not caused by a poor speaker...something MADE that happen to the speaker... Better speakers can typically handle more, but that is not always the case.
Something like a bad signal from the amplifier. Did you have the mids/highs on an external amp. or just the radio power? Distortion blows speakers in a heartbeat.
The "farting: sound could have been the speakers trying to reproduce sounds they are not necessarily intended to do...LOW LOW bass is not going to come through a normal 6.5 speaker with the proper authority like it would a 10" woofer....designed for different things... Possibly the crossover point was too low...?

Not too sure, but Im only trying to throw out ideas/thoughs. Additioanlly, maybe some of this info will prevetn this into the future.

John

CRAZY_JAY
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Our discussion has gotten way off topic, from are the speakers any good to was the stuff installed and set up right. I know you are just being the devils advocate by asking about other variables. I have seen your system, I know that you know what you are talking about. The main issue is with the subs not the 6.5s so we will take them out of the equation. I am not the type to tweak on things once I have it set up right, and none of the variables you listed had changed same amp, same volume, same gain on the amp, same cross over settings and the speakers did not perform. I know the next question is going to be what were you running: Alpine head unit can’t remember which one, 4 gauge cable, Zero Noise RCA’s, 2 1.0 Farad caps, MTX 1000d (yes I realize that this is not a good SQ amp in the first place). With all things remaining the same even the music that is played, with my experience these Polk DBs did not last. After my problems with Polk subs I went with some MTX 12s instead and did not have an issue.