PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Salvage Cars

KodyH
07-11-2011, 03:11 AM
I was considering buying a salvage car to pull parts from a site similar to this one (http://www.carfrom.us/). I'd be using it purely as a donor car for a project of mine. Does anyone have an experience in this? What were your experiences like with the situation? Is the process as straight forward as it seem, i just buy the car pick it up and use it, or is there a lot of paperwork involved that i should worry about?

Thanks ahead of time.

silversol
07-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I do, but your question is not to the point....

KodyH
07-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I do, but your question is not to the point....

What is the point then?

Genji-Sama
07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
What is the point then?

Lol, i think you're supposed to answer that question for him, but i think it might be more forward if you ask. "What were your experiences like with the situation? Is the process as straight forward as it seem, i just buy the car pick it up and use it, or is there a lot of paperwork involved that i should worry about?"....or something to that effect, i'm not really sure what you were gettin at either :goodjob:

KodyH
07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Lol, i think you're supposed to answer that question for him, but i think it might be more forward if you ask. "What were your experiences like with the situation? Is the process as straight forward as it seem, i just buy the car pick it up and use it, or is there a lot of paperwork involved that i should worry about?"....or something to that effect, i'm not really sure what you were gettin at either :goodjob:

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I was half asleep typing this so I'll go edit.

Catnip
07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
If you're not putting it on the road, then buy it, get a bill of sale/title, get what you want, and scrap it.

If you wanted to put it on the road, I think you're supposed to document the process, have it inspected by the state, and wait for your rebuilt title to come in. I could be wrong, though.

KodyH
07-11-2011, 04:22 PM
If you're not putting it on the road, then buy it, get a bill of sale/title, get what you want, and scrap it.

If you wanted to put it on the road, I think you're supposed to document the process, have it inspected by the state, and wait for your rebuilt title to come in. I could be wrong, though.

I'd only be using it to pull parts off of, I just need enough parts to think that I'd save money by buying the entire car.

blown_ss
07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
just buy the car, take the parts off that you want and then junk the car. end of story its that easy.

KodyH
07-11-2011, 10:31 PM
just buy the car, take the parts off that you want and then junk the car. end of story its that easy.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you. +reps.

Crazydelsol
07-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah only if you wanted to get it on the streets you need to fix whatever is wrong with the car than get it inspected,
Than send all the paper work plus all the receipts of the parts/labor that was done to the car and wait for your title!
But like he said if u just need parts take whatever you need and scrap it. And get some money back lol

carguy07
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
If possible, get a salvage title with it. Even though you won't ever actually register it, many scrap yards are going to want some proof of ownership before taking it for scrap. You might not need it when it comes time to scrap, but it's better to be safe than sorry.