PDA

View Full Version : General Chat rsx or rx8???

nstygomez
07-10-2011, 05:36 PM
so i have some money saved up and im looking to get one of these cars what would be a better choice??
ive always wanted a rwd car i heard the 8s handling is great and the type s is just hottt my manager has one he let me test drive it and push it and it was pretty quick and nice

-EnVus-
07-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Rx8 is nothing but junk

JDMSHITZ
07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
go type S Acura FTW

firby911
07-10-2011, 06:36 PM
rsx type s hands down

Vteckidd
07-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Rx8 is a great car but has a ton of prOblems.

Horrible gas mileage
Autos have engine issues
Can be expensive to maintain
Underpowered as hell

Srt
07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Type S - it wont let you down

nstygomez
07-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Yea I do hear about the 8s having a lot or problems in the long run..
And type s is hot and I'm sure the aftermarket support is more affordable..
I'm just looking for a fun dd that I can mess around with every now and then

ludeguy420
07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
i would go rsx.. i think they look better over all better than the rx8's

nstygomez
07-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Yea I do hear about the 8s having a lot or problems in the long run..
And type s is hot and I'm sure the aftermarket support is more affordable..
I'm just looking for a fun dd that I can mess around with every now and then

alpine_aw11
07-10-2011, 10:44 PM
If I had a lot of extra to spend on the car, it would be rx8 all day. The potential is actually pretty great. But if it's going to be stock or close to it, the rsx is a better car.

BlkCD5
07-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Get the rsx for now. Later on you can choose a better rwd car as a project.

nstygomez
07-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Yea you guys are probably right all I'm looking to do is simple bolt ons and suspension wheels would come later in the picture

Vteckidd
07-11-2011, 09:01 AM
i owned an RX8 and again i loved the car , but it was not practical as a daily or a modded car.

Best MPG i got was 16 and that was drivign it like a grandma. And since you pretty much have to beat on it to ensure the engine lasts thats not really a good idea. It was fun, handles great but i just had issues with it being severely underpowered.

I can think of about 10 other cars to own. If you want RWD and high revving, id rather own an AP1 S2000

Genji-Sama
07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
If it's gonna be between these two choices the rsx, i've driven a RX8 and was thoroughly unimpressed. But a better idea would be to look into some better RWD drive platform, while RSXs are nice RWD is definitely the way to go, unless you plan on doing a lot of downhill mountain passes/circuits. :goodjob:

djt23
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Rx8 is a great car if you want to mess with rotary engine.
i would go with rsx cause it really good car

Sunkenkarma
07-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Rx8 all day if your going to throw some mods in it. Depends on what your looking for, Im sure a Type-S rsx would walk a Rx8 in a straight line, but you will regret going with the honda when you want to go to your local track/mountain for some spirited driving. Theres nothing like have a RX platform on some tight corners! Just my 2 cents!

Dylan
07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
I love my rsx type s. I would never give it up for an rx8 because the rsx is a perfect dd hands down and handles great. I-VTEC FTW!

speedsun
07-21-2011, 08:16 PM
RSX all day long. A stock block k20 will make up to 500hp. Most guys on clubrsx that are turbo usually do 400hp no prob. RX-8's are good for one thing, handling. Other than that, they're on my list of top shitty cars. Bad gas mileage, horrible reliability, and stupid rear suicide doors.

JITB
07-21-2011, 08:46 PM
rx8...and dont ever get car buying advise on IA! lol Rx8s are not bad cars. they have issues that were addressed after 2005, like the factory starter being too small, and the water pump design. And both have been taken care of. you will be bored of the rsx in a year and a half, i gurantee.. I suggest going to both forums and reading up on both cars!

05dc5s
07-21-2011, 10:12 PM
They both suck and are slow /thread

David88vert
07-22-2011, 07:00 AM
RX8. I know how to keep the rotary reliable though.

Sunkenkarma
07-22-2011, 02:50 PM
RX8. I know how to keep the rotary reliable though.

How's that? Check oil at every fillup? Ceramic apex seals? hah, I know of a good bit of ways, maybe you know something I dont know though. >.>

David88vert
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
How about starting with basic maintenance? I've only had to change the oil on time, and have owned all bodies of the RX7's. They are super reliable if you do basic maintenance on them. That is why they have used them in aircraft, endurance racing, etc. The problem is that most people don't check or change thier oil, let them over heat, etc. For extra peace of mind, just add a little 2 stroke premix to each fill-up. I had rotarys for years and only ever had one motor die on me - and that was my fault for letting it overheat at a race.

Sunkenkarma
07-23-2011, 12:48 AM
How about starting with basic maintenance? I've only had to change the oil on time, and have owned all bodies of the RX7's. They are super reliable if you do basic maintenance on them. That is why they have used them in aircraft, endurance racing, etc. The problem is that most people don't check or change thier oil, let them over heat, etc. For extra peace of mind, just add a little 2 stroke premix to each fill-up. I had rotarys for years and only ever had one motor die on me - and that was my fault for letting it overheat at a race.

Yeah man, I know how it is. Adding 2 stroke mix actually helps the car, Especially if you have all the block off plates etc. I had an FC until it blew up on me, for not maintaining. Silly me learned all this after it blew up. I want another one so bad, they are too fun. i bought a rotary, not knowing how they worked etc, but im ready for another, this time maybe a Turbo II, And please, if you get an rx8, do some research before getting one, its well worth it.

iamdallas
07-23-2011, 04:57 AM
I've always been a fan of the RSX's looks, luxury, reliability, and K... with that said, I would go for the RX8.

If you get one with a Limited Slip Diff, a 6 speed, and some good suspension the Type S can't rival the driving experience.
If you wanna be comfy and drive in a straight line swiftly, get the type S.

But that's just what I think, and that probably shouldn't matter to you in the least.

takume
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
For a DD, I would say go with the type-s. Decent power right out the box, big hatchback truck, good mpg and easy maintenance. Being said, RX-8 is a very good car too if you are willing to learn and can afford the gas money. But I just think that the type-s is more practical for daily use because of the big hatch and gas mileage.

Elbow
07-28-2011, 11:48 AM
RX-8 all the way, the only plus about the RSX is better MPG and it's a Honda. NOTHING ELSE.

Boosted FC
07-28-2011, 01:37 PM
ok. The RX8 while a superbly handling car, does have some problems. 04-05 models were known for dropping motors at very low mileage. Mazda fixed this by flashes to the computer that helped the metering pump to pump out more oil. Mazda also has put a 100k mile warranty on the engines. The water pump was not redesigned till the'09 model. If you can deal with things like the driver's sunvisor, clutch pedal, AC knobs and other stuff breaking, the RX8 might be the car for you. I have owned a few RX7s (currently on my 5th FC) but will never buy a RX8. Research the car on RX8 forums, you will get your answer there if this is a car you really want.

Sinfix_15
07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
I think most of the horror stories are probably exaggerated and are usually the result of the owner not understanding that a rotary engine has different needs than a piston engine. I've known two people who owned them without an problems. Dont know anyone personally who had a bad experience but i have read the thousands of internet horror stories.

With that said...... those engine warranties are just now starting to expire and theres probably gonna be some rollers are the market dirt cheap pretty soon. Hinson should be selling their ls1 swap within the year, so im not ready to say ill NEVER own an rx8. The platform is great, just got to evict the hamster.