PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Insuring your Modifications?

DeeAOne
07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
How many of you actually do it? Has anyone done it?

I'm thinking that my car is getting to a point where if something happens to it I would least like to get something for it.

The value is somehwere around $400-$700 according to my insurance company so I'm think about taking all my receipts and such to them and get it appraised.

I know my rates will go up but I feel its worth it.

Discuss.

CaTcH22
07-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Thats actually a good idea that i have thought about doin. What if you wrecked it and they totalled it. Theres alot more to the worth of that car than $400 to you....but not to the insurance company.

Rsporty
07-09-2011, 10:28 PM
A friend of mine is a State Farm agent and we had a convo about this a while back.
If I remember correctly, she said all I need is pictures showing the parts, actually on my car and if anything happens, they'll pay to replace them.
I can call her, tomorrow, and double check the details, if you want.

civicturbo10
07-10-2011, 12:18 AM
^ Yes please provide more details. Cost per each 1k in coverage. Documentation required etc.

DeeAOne
07-10-2011, 12:53 AM
A friend of mine is a State Farm agent and we had a convo about this a while back.
If I remember correctly, she said all I need is pictures showing the parts, actually on my car and if anything happens, they'll pay to replace them.
I can call her, tomorrow, and double check the details, if you want.I'd appreciate that man. I actually have State Farm so she should be able to tell me everything I need to know.

Supraboy87T
07-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Interested in how this plays out since I have so much invested in my civic and I don't wanna lose any money I have in it. Plus I have Statefarm as well.

Rsporty
08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Sorry I never got back to y'all with more details.
Been busy as Hell, trying to get the house ready for the new baby coming in September.
I'll give her a call and post what I find out.

B18c1Turboed
08-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Ok im a Insurance agent. You need pictures of the stuff on the car,you also need Proof of purchase. They will only be insured if the car gets stolen or broken into.Most insurance companies wont cover motor mods. Steros and amps and wheels can be covered. Body kits such as jdm front can be covered.

1st your car must have full coverage insurance, and then you can add the additional stuff you want insured. Keep in mind the higher you go the more you pay in insurance.
Example: i Have my truck insured, i have full stero and tvs installed. I added 4K in addional coverage. Cost me 30 each month. But its well worth it too me

Rsporty
08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I just talked to my friend.
She says that, if it's attatched to the car, State Farm will cover it AT NO EXTRA COST!
You just need receipts for the parts and pictures showing the parts actually installed on/in YOUR CAR.
Any further questions, call your insurance agent!

If you want her name and work number, to ask questions or verify, pm me and I'll get it to you.

B18c1Turboed
08-12-2011, 06:20 PM
hahaha thats B.S....... So you telling i would pay the same for a 50K car as i would a 3K car in insurance? NO!!!

Rsporty
08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
hahaha thats B.S....... So you telling i would pay the same for a 50K car as i would a 3K car in insurance? NO!!!

Hahahaha...ha.......ha.............haha........ha. ............um, no.
I never said you could insure a $50K car for the same price as a $3K car.
BUT, from what I understand from her explaining it to me is that if you cover your $3K car with State Farm, and provide them with the proper receipts and pictures, IT'S COVERED.
Same with a $50K car.
Now, I'm sure it doesn't apply to just minimum coverage policies and common sense tells us that it's way more expensive to insure a $50K car over a $3K car, but either way, with State Farm, you're mods are covered AT NO EXTRA COST.
She did say, however, that if you claim to have a '92 Civic with $45K (example) in mods, the underwriter has to approve it, first.
She also said that while other companies charge extra for this kind of coverage, State Farm doesn't.

Hell, I gave you her name and work number, to verify or ask questions.
Maybe, you should. Couldn't hurt.

Dylan
09-21-2011, 08:23 PM
A friend of mine had an insurance policy like this, he just had to have all receipts for parts he wanted insured. What in insurance company he had I do not know; however, I do know he wrecked his car on two separate occasions and everything was replaced by his insurance. This would be a must for anyone with a substantial amount of money tied up in their car IMO.

Sammich
09-22-2011, 08:18 AM
^would suck if you did all your own work

Mr Egg Rollllll
09-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I have State Farm with a Full Coverage policy and have already spoken to my agent about this exact situation. Receipts(unless mods were done to your car beforehand, then just pics and date) and pictures of the mods on the car(unless it's motor mods) are required to be covered at no additional cost. So my $5500 Miata with say $25k in mods would be fully covered no matter the situation(theft, accident, weather, etc).

B18c1Turboed
09-22-2011, 03:26 PM
I worked for state farm before. Ok so they letting you pay the premium for a 3k car that would cost the 50k to replace? If that's the case why do I pay more for my 2012 car then I do my 2005 car? Insurance companies want to make money and by them insuring a 50k car for the price of a 3k makes no sense.I need to go insure my car with state farm.

josh green
09-22-2011, 08:16 PM
2 of my buddies had their insurance companies drop them because of this same thing. They use Geico, and they got a letter saying they could no longer cover the cars modifications and their premium was adjusted accordingly.

tnomud
09-22-2011, 11:00 PM
i am old and always insure cars for "agreed value" if it is significantly more than book value. IE: Had a 92 Talon in 99 w/ 8k miles and $40k in parts insured for $25k. It wasnt much more.