PDA

View Full Version : OBX header gaskets

buffalobill
07-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Need a gasket for the header to downpipe on the OBX header on my '02 Accord 2.3L (F23). To clarify - this is the gasket w/ 3 bolt holes and 2 tubes on a 4-2-1 type 2 pc header/downpipe. Haven't been able to get any replies from OBX's site over the past 4 wks.

Would appreciate either a local source (if possible), or info re: any vendors that can supply this gasket. (I'm in Cherokee County, but not aware of any shops up this way that might have this gasket, or that could get me one)

And, does anyone know what OEM application that crosses over to this gasket, or if any other header manufacturer (DC Sports, Megan, Pacesetter, or?) uses the same flanges on their header/downpipe that OBX does?

(I can anticipate replies such as "OBX sucks", etc. but once I rewelded a cracked tube and ceramic-coated the header, it'll be okay for the foreseeable future. OBX's gaskets are as crappy as their 'customer dis-service', however, so any helpful hints will be welcomed)

Thanks!

Tech5
07-09-2011, 08:45 PM
OEM is just the rings not a gasket

Honestly though you can get some make a gasket if it leaks or silicone gasket for exhaust that orange tube !

buffalobill
07-10-2011, 05:23 AM
It's not a problem w/ the gasket that mates the header to the cylinder head - FelPro makes a decent gasket for that. . .Same w/ the downpipe to the cat, as a Honda compression-type ring or an aftermarket gasket is easy to get.

It's the gasket that looks like a simple standard 3 bolt hole gasket for the header to downpipe that is driving me crazy, as no one knows what p/n to use. And, the turds @ OBX will not even reply to where I can get that gasket, and the 3 authorized dealers on their website - eBay only vendors - aren't any help, either.

1civic
07-10-2011, 12:15 PM
It's not a problem w/ the gasket that mates the header to the cylinder head - FelPro makes a decent gasket for that. . .Same w/ the downpipe to the cat, as a Honda compression-type ring or an aftermarket gasket is easy to get.

It's the gasket that looks like a simple standard 3 bolt hole gasket for the header to downpipe that is driving me crazy, as no one knows what p/n to use. And, the turds @ OBX will not even reply to where I can get that gasket, and the 3 authorized dealers on their website - eBay only vendors - aren't any help, either.

Tech 5 said it.."silicone gasket for exhaust that (orange tube)".. That will work, take it apart, clean it and apply..

buffalobill
07-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Problem solved. . .Found the OBX gasket @ 'Tuning Depot' (eBay seller of OBX products). Their eBay listing didn't mention that the Civic / Prelude (??) downpipe gasket also was exactly the same as the one OBX uses for Accord F23 applications, too. After confirming w/ them that it was the right gasket, they shipped it from the left coast to GA in 2 days.

In fact, I'm keeping that gasket as a spare since the orig OBX gasket was in okay condition - esp after using Permatex high-temp silicone (copper) sealant, along w/ fixing the dumb-ass problem caused by the exhaust shop that re-welded the cracked welds, and then re-installed the header w/out using a washer under the nuts (for the 3 bolts on the flange). The raised 'boss' between the bolt head and where the threads start was exposed (w/out the washers) as it exited the nut side of the flange, making it impossible to tighten down the nut sufficiently to get a tight seal on the gasket. (note: such bolts are often larger in diameter on the portion of the shank w/out threads) I found a super exhaust shop ('Jasper Muffler' - formerly known as 'Cherokee Muffler' in Canton), but now in Talking Rock, GA - just north of Cherokee County - that solved the stupid problem in 10 minutes for $10. Such a deal!

Thought I'd pass this along too, as it's often a simple, human-induced problem that causes all sorts of unnecessary time-consuming & often not needed expensive fixes. The 'problem' all began when I took the lazy way out of re-installing the header after it had been re-welded (rather than doing it myself), as I had a a different repair shop w/ it's ASE trained mechanics (sic) re-install it, and they caused the problem, but were unable to find a suitable gasket, sending me off to find the gasket I didn't need . . . If I had done the work, I would always use new washers (and also would replace the bolts and/or nuts if they were gawled, or otherwise damaged), as I am a firm believer that mundane hardware - esp the cheap shit made in China - is good for just so many re-tightenings, esp when heat or any physical stress is placed on such connections. (bolts stretch, distort, threads get damaged, bolt heads get rounded-over, corrode, and even weaken from 100s of extreme temp-recyclings, and so on)

Also, I suggest that one make a tracing/template of any non-OEM gaskets, as one cannot rely on most aftermarket suppliers to offer any after-the-sale support, as OBX demonstrated in this case. That little drawing may make it much simpler to find a suitable gasket (or make one) before tearing a car apart to replace that gasket, as almost all parts houses these days only look up a part number on a computer, and most don't have a clue when it comes to sourcing replacement parts from Asian aftermarket component manufacturers. Just tape those drawings, plus any pertinent cross-referancing, etc info, in your shop manual. . .But, one would think that I would have followed my own advise when I had originally installed this particular header & catback system 6 yrs ago, esp considering that for almost 50 years I've been messing around w/ building '30s-'40s hotrods, '50s customs, modifying sports cars, & Honda/Acuras more recently - but no - I didn't make that little drawing of that gasket, screwing-up this time, for sure!

"Old farts don't learn new tricks - they just seem to forget what they used to know. . ."