PDA

View Full Version : Legal question.

Sunkenkarma
07-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Ok, to start off, please dont come in here to flame me, its a stupid thing to do, and I know, but Ive already thought about this.

Alright, so a few months back, I got a speeding ticket, for 82 in a 65 in Hall county. Court date is coming up this friday, but it the ticket itself is just a thing that I could potentially go online and just pay and not go to court, but heres my question.

When I got the ticket, I had a good job and thought I would be able to pay it. but Now as the court date approaches, Im jobless, and im not going to be able to pay the ticket. Ive been to jail, and I really dont want to serve any jail time just because of a speeding ticket. So, Im thinking about not going to the court date, and just waiting it out until I get a job again to pay it. Im guessing that I will get a warrant for FTP ( Failure to pay ), I think thats the thing anyways, but im not 100% sure if they will go for the warrant. If I DO get a warrant, can I come back with the money and just pay it off? Im not exactly sure what happens in that case.

The fine is 320$, is there any way that I could show up to court, and not have to go to jail if I cant pay the fine? Either way, Id like opinions, and like a said, dont post to troll/flame me.

-EnVus-
07-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes if you do not show at the court date a warrant is issued the same or following day. They also may increase the fine if not tag on another for Failure to appear.
Its simple really just call the probate court office and talk to them. It won't solve anything just letting it ride or avoiding them. They may extend your court date or allow you to do a partial Community service shift or hours.

Sunkenkarma
07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Who would I talk to about community service? Ive done that before, and that would be my ideal way to work this whole thing out.

-EnVus-
07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Who would I talk to about community service? Ive done that before, and that would be my ideal way to work this whole thing out.
Usually the probate court judge

Sunkenkarma
07-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Is that something I do when I go there? Or should call ahead of time? Just wondering in case I need to call tommorow.

-EnVus-
07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Id call them soon as possible and see if they can help you first. Either way call and explain you situation cause it could be worse if you dont show.

David88vert
07-06-2011, 07:47 PM
You have to show up for the court. If you do not a bench warrant will be issued for you. That will cost you a lot more than the $320 ticket. You had better have the cash for the speeding ticket, your bail bond (more than $320), and the fine for the failure to appear. Basically, you would be majorly screwing yourself.

Here is what you should do:
1) Show up to court.
2) Talk to the solicitor ahead of time, see what you can work out. Let him know that you will have to plead not guilty if he does not want to work with you. Usually, they will find a way to reduce the mph, to lower the fine, and get a rapid conclusion to the case. If you have no money, its still not a problem, they will usually let you do some community service in its place.
3) Plead not guilty, and get a new court date if you cannot come to an agreement. This might buy you a little time to get the money.

Whatever you do - show up to court - on time, dressed professionally, and be respectful and polite. You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Sunkenkarma
07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Alright, I hope the Solicitor will actually want to help hah, oh and I just looked at the ticket again, its a 82 in 55, not 65. Im just hoping that they will actually allow me to do some form of community service.

C-loS109
07-06-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm not the one to give legal advice but the last thing you want to do is not go, you said you wanted to avoid jail time and by skipping out on it your putting yourself at a greater risk. I would just go up there, try to talk to someone before hand about extending your date or if you could do community service to pay for it. worse thing that can happen is that you get probation for not having the money ( in gwinnett is like this, i don't know about hall county, check up on it) and u get to pay for it partially, but add the probation fee. more money at then end but you dont have to come up with it whole.

just my .02

Scotsman
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
You have to show up for the court. If you do not a bench warrant will be issued for you. That will cost you a lot more than the $320 ticket. You had better have the cash for the speeding ticket, your bail bond (more than $320), and the fine for the failure to appear. Basically, you would be majorly screwing yourself.

1) Show up to court.
2) Talk to the solicitor ahead of time, see what you can work out. Let him know that you will have to plead not guilty if he does not want to work with you. Usually, they will find a way to reduce the mph, to lower the fine, and get a rapid conclusion to the case. If you have no money, its still not a problem, they will usually let you do some community service in its place.
3) Plead not guilty, and get a new court date if you cannot come to an agreement. This might buy you a little time to get the money.

Whatever you do - show up to court - on time, dressed professionally, and be respectful and polite. You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.f'n A , you owe this guy a hand shandy , truth spoken

Sunkenkarma
07-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Appreciate the great help guys, One more thing. If they dont take the community service, anyone know how long I would have to be in jail for 320 bucks?

Scotsman
07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Appreciate the great help guys, One more thing. If they dont take the community service, anyone know how long I would have to be in jail for 320 bucks?you wont go over 320 , just ask for probabtion , they wont deny that

Bacon
07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
DEKALB let me get probation for a couple of weeks until my fines were paid. Not sure what Hall County can do for you but definitely show up.

You aren't a rapist. You were speeding. Not sure why they would lock you up for this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sunkenkarma
07-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I wouldnt mind probation, but the problem with probation is the same, I dont have a job and couldnt really pay the probation fees. = /

Scotsman
07-06-2011, 08:27 PM
they will work with you , all they care about is the money

David88vert
07-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Appreciate the great help guys, One more thing. If they dont take the community service, anyone know how long I would have to be in jail for 320 bucks?

You won't go to jail as long as you show up, and be respectful and polite.
If you don't show up, and they have to issue a bench warrant for you, I can guarantee that you WILL go to jail.

Scotsman
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
You won't go to jail as long as you show up, and be respectful and polite.
If you don't show up, and they have to issue a bench warrant for you, I can guarantee that you WILL go to jail.again , truth spoken

quickdodge®
07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Whatever you do - show up to court - on time, dressed professionally, and be respectful and polite. You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

This is the only thing in this thread that is certain.

Never understood why people bothered asking legal questions on a site like this. Every case is different. It doesn't matter if you and five other people have the same offenses. Your cases, more often than not, will always be different. The ONLY person you can ask what will happen to you is the judge that will preside over the case. And I don't think there are any judges that post here. Later, QD.

Scotsman
07-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Never understood why people bothered asking legal questions on a site like this. Every case is different. It doesn't matter if you and five other people have the same offenses. Your cases, more often than not, will always be different. The ONLY person you can ask what will happen to you is the judge that will preside over the case. And I don't think there are any judges that post here. Later, QD.thanks for pickin up the phone............lol

Echonova
07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
thanks for pickin up the phone............lolI decide to answer the phone or not when you call based on how many videos you've youtube linked to FB that night.

slostang
07-06-2011, 09:49 PM

1) Show up to court.

^ What he said

Austin?
07-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Few years back when my wife had a "no turn on red" citation and totally forgot about. One day I was cleaning her suv and found a citation with a month pass due court date on it. I (myself) decided to go ahead and pay for her ticket but they wont take my payment. They already issue a bench warrent on my wife. I had to turn her in and waiting in the waiting for an hour for them to process the paper work. Citation was 100 buck but after the warrant issue it became 300 buck.

I say show up and plead for mercy.

-EnVus-
07-06-2011, 11:15 PM

Never understood why people bothered asking legal questions on a site like this. Every case is different. It doesn't matter if you and five other people have the same offenses. Your cases, more often than not, will always be different. The ONLY person you can ask what will happen to you is the judge that will preside over the case. And I don't think there are any judges that post here. Later, QD.
It's more than likely due to most ppl guessing most car forum members have had plenty of troubles at some point with the law. Guess if you need some kinda feedback or advice give it a try.
The biggest thing i see where he went wrong was to even consider not showing up for his court date.

Sunkenkarma
07-07-2011, 03:21 AM

1) Show up to court.

Alright, what I think im going to do is go up there on friday, a little before court and try to find the solicitor, I dont think I have ever had to talk with the solicitor, were might I find him/her? In the courtroom? or somewere nearby?

quickdodge®
07-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Alright, what I think im going to do is go up there on friday, a little before court and try to find the solicitor, I dont think I have ever had to talk with the solicitor, were might I find him/her? In the courtroom? or somewere nearby?

The solicitor (sometimes called assistant DA) will be in the courtroom. Later, QD.

David88vert
07-07-2011, 06:49 AM

http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/#courtsjudges_recorders_solicitor/

Doppelgänger
07-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Ummm...I'd call the number on the ticket (recorder's court IIRC) and ask the court clerk if you can get a 30-day extension. This gives you another month before your court date. Be aware that some courts require you to go to the courthouse and sign an extension (Gwinnett for example) and some allow you to do it over the phone (Union for another example).

While going into court is nice, they don't like being jerked around, no matter how nicely dressed you are. If you can go in there, be direct, know what you want from them and not hymn and haw them, you'll have good luck and be more likely to cut a deal. If you go in there unsure of what you're doing, use "uuuhhhh" for every other word and not have a specific goal, or make them constantly ask what you want to do, you'll likely end up without any break. I've been to court enough times, dealt with solicitors/prosecutors enough and watched other people do it the right way and the wrong way enough to tell you this.

Elbow
07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Really? Skipping your court date sounds like a valuable option? LOL................

Vteckidd
07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Ok, to start off, please dont come in here to flame me, its a stupid thing to do, and I know, but Ive already thought about this.

Alright, so a few months back, I got a speeding ticket, for 82 in a 65 in Hall county. Court date is coming up this friday, but it the ticket itself is just a thing that I could potentially go online and just pay and not go to court, but heres my question.

When I got the ticket, I had a good job and thought I would be able to pay it. but Now as the court date approaches, Im jobless, and im not going to be able to pay the ticket. Ive been to jail, and I really dont want to serve any jail time just because of a speeding ticket. So, Im thinking about not going to the court date, and just waiting it out until I get a job again to pay it. Im guessing that I will get a warrant for FTP ( Failure to pay ), I think thats the thing anyways, but im not 100% sure if they will go for the warrant. If I DO get a warrant, can I come back with the money and just pay it off? Im not exactly sure what happens in that case.

The fine is 320$, is there any way that I could show up to court, and not have to go to jail if I cant pay the fine? Either way, Id like opinions, and like a said, dont post to troll/flame me.

im sorry but are you retarded LOL

Go to court, plead NOT GUILTY. they will move your court date to about a month from now. At that point when you show up if you lose, then you pay the fine. You can tell them you dont have the money at which point you go on PROBATION. That means you pay the fine in installments, usually with a surcharge, and have to report in to a probation person, keep from getting a ticket, etc.

Whatever you do, dont just NOT show up, they will issue a bench warrant and suspend your license which means you cannot drive, if you get caught youre looking at jail, bond, and a $500-1000 fine .

Vteckidd
07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
you WONT go to JAIL man unless you DONT SHOW UP. Or if you fail to pay the $40-50 a month if you take probation. I dont know where you get this notion that they just toss remedial speeding ticket violators in jail, this isnt North Korea LOL

If you cant come up with $40-50 a month to pay the probation fees/court fine you got bigger issues.

usually they will allow you to do community service.

Vteckidd
07-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Heres what you do

YOU SHOW UP ON FRIDAY, THEY WILL CALL YOUR NAME. USUALLY TO SPEAK TO THE SOLICITOR FIRST AS THEY WANT TO SEE IF YOU WILL PLEAD GUILTY. WHEN YOU TALK TO THE SOLICITOR TELL THEM YOU HAVE NO MONEY AND CANNOT PAY THE TICKET, IS THERE ANY WAY THEY CAN LOWER THE FINE, OR ALLOW YOU TO DO COMMUNITY SERVICE. IF THEY SAY YES, CONGRATS. IF THEY SAY NO, PLEAD NOT GUILTY and reset for another day.

personally, if you got clocked speeding you are GOING TO LOSE. So personally i wouldnt even talk to the solicitor, id just plead NOT GUILTY, make them reset it, make the cop have to show up, and if he doesnt youre off. If he does, pay the $320 fine(or take probation) and court costs. go on your way

Sunkenkarma
07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Heres what you do

YOU SHOW UP ON FRIDAY, THEY WILL CALL YOUR NAME. USUALLY TO SPEAK TO THE SOLICITOR FIRST AS THEY WANT TO SEE IF YOU WILL PLEAD GUILTY. WHEN YOU TALK TO THE SOLICITOR TELL THEM YOU HAVE NO MONEY AND CANNOT PAY THE TICKET, IS THERE ANY WAY THEY CAN LOWER THE FINE, OR ALLOW YOU TO DO COMMUNITY SERVICE. IF THEY SAY YES, CONGRATS. IF THEY SAY NO, PLEAD NOT GUILTY and reset for another day.

personally, if you got clocked speeding you are GOING TO LOSE. So personally i wouldnt even talk to the solicitor, id just plead NOT GUILTY, make them reset it, make the cop have to show up, and if he doesnt youre off. If he does, pay the $320 fine(or take probation) and court costs. go on your way

Alright, so if I cant talk to the solicitor/ they wont cut me a deal, Plead not guilty? So what happens when I come back next? Lets say the cop shows up and I just walk in and say im guilty? hah, thats the only thing that really concerns me.

Vteckidd
07-07-2011, 04:25 PM
No you stay with not guilty, you'll lose, you pay fine-go on
Probation

98blackcivic
07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
idk how hall county does it..but here in gwinnett, i cant pay my current ticket which i got a loong asss time ago and its coming up now...i owe $210..and they put me on a payment plan...i got to pay by august 5th....and if i dont they keep tacking on $25 each month...which isnt all that much if im late like one month...

BanginJimmy
07-08-2011, 04:34 PM
So, Im thinking about not going to the court date, and just waiting it out until I get a job again to pay it

I cant believe so many people missed this golden opportunity.

How do you think you are going to get a job with an outstanding warrant? Not too many companies I know of that dont bother running background checks these days.

Sunkenkarma
07-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I cant believe so many people missed this golden opportunity.

How do you think you are going to get a job with an outstanding warrant? Not too many companies I know of that dont bother running background checks these days.

Yeah if you read even slightly into this post, I established I was going to go, But when I posted this, I had no clue what to do. I know exactly what you are talking about and thats mostly what got me to go, seeing as Im looking for jobs.

But on another note, Went to court, pleaded No Lo, and got no points on my license and just the fine, which I got a 30 day extension on, still no idea how im going to pay it though.