PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Building a B20, piston question

jdmkiller
06-28-2011, 06:55 PM
ive heard good things about CP and Wiesco pistons. havent heard anything about supertech and RS pistons. anyone know/heard/ or used either one of those pistons before. Good things, bad things?

turbob20
07-06-2011, 11:46 PM
i know this is an all motor thread but ive personally seen cp come apart in 3 different motors and all 3 different as far as boost,nitrous and one all motor. i myself have had good luck with wiseco and je. the je's have more piston slap on start up. i have used a company called probe industries for up to 400hp with no problems but never dynoed no more than 483hp cause traction is shit not much after 300+ any way so i leave settings on 13psi at 312hp and hardly ever needed the 18 psi 480ish so id say my high boost was around 15.5 psi at around 400ish! build is 4 years old and about 21,xxx miles my block is stock sleeved and filled with devcon liquid aluminum from top of water pump square hole up to about 1/4 away from top then drilled coolant holes around the bores through it and small steam holes in between close to the center points if the connecting cylinders. has been a great motor and is my 3rd build using same method and brand parts as they had never failed me on any build yet. even long after i have sold em they are still running and im still proud of em! but the pouring has seemed to really beef up the block and becomes part of the block.

h22 jones
07-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Ive heard of cp pistons breaking but ours have been beat to death all motor and have no problems at all for years . We even cut the dome off ours and stil no problems.

southside
07-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Depends all on tuning really thats what it comes back down to....And Builder/Machinist.Lol Those three things Tuner/Machinist/Builder.If they are all having a good day then you will have a good motor.I have used Wiseco,JE,CP,and YCP they all work pretty well never had problem even after got into a boxing match with a valve piston still looks useable but no way I would trust it.Depending on what you are trying to go for and depending on your budget.If you just want a simple cheap build,Go for YCP they are around 230$shipped.If your going to go with more of a race setup with aggressive cams then I would go with Shelf pistons like Wiseco..ETC.So you will have valve relief,I dont think the YCP have valve relief as much as other more expensive pistons.