PDA

View Full Version : The dumbest state is.......

C22H19N3O4
11-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Arizona!!!LoL...I get a kick out of these STATS (http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm). Hey, at least Georgia isn't in last place. :goodjob: We're only #40.

quickdodgeŽ
11-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Damn. Number 40 out of 42 states isn't too good is it? At least we're not last. Later, QD.

Hulud
11-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Damn. Number 40 out of 42 states isn't too good is it? At least we're not last. Later, QD.

C22H19N3O4
11-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Not one southern state is in the top 20 "smartest" list...LoL. It's not really surprising.

Dragonfly5338
11-23-2005, 08:29 AM

For the past couple years it has bounced between Mississippi and us as the lowest state, hehe. Arizona beating us out now, looks like.

The Golden Child
11-26-2005, 12:10 PM
interesting

static
12-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Arizona!!!LoL...I get a kick out of these STATS (http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm). Hey, at least Georgia isn't in last place. :goodjob: We're only #40.

LoL. that shit isn't reliable since they go by SAT's and anyone in GA can take one. People in Southern GA are dragging us down. lol

Apache
12-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Wow, wow....

rollininstyle2004
12-02-2005, 11:55 PM
LoL. that shit isn't reliable since they go by SAT's and anyone in GA can take one. People in Southern GA are dragging us down. lol
Its biased, if you look at the number of students taking the SAT compared to the average score you will notice a trend. The more people taking it the lower the score. The SAT is more popular in the south (hence the reason no souther states are in the top 20 as mentioned above). The ACT is more popular in the north, leaving less northerners to take the SAT unless it will benifit them (IE the smart kids).

C22H19N3O4
12-03-2005, 12:44 AM
If some of you bothered to read the methodology you would know it is not based on SAT scores. The SAT rankings carry little weight. BTW, are you actually suggesting that because of the SATs no southern state made into the top 20? Perhaps the SATs really don\'t measure scholastic aptitude? LoL. ACT and SAT scores are lower in southern states compared to northern states. What other excuse can you come up with? The 21 factors used for my original post:

POSITIVE (+ 1-13) AND NEGATIVE (- 14-21) FACTORS CONSIDERED:
Public Elementary and Secondary School Revenue per $1,000 Personal Income (Table 55) +
Percent of Public Elementary and Secondary School Current Expenditures used for Instruction (Table 133) +
Percent of Population Graduated from High School (Table 169) +
Public High School Graduation Rate (Table 179) +
Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Reading (Table 198) +
Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Reading (Table 206) +
Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Writing (Table 214) +
Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Writing (Table 222) +
Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Mathematics (Table 230) +
Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Mathematics (Table 238) +
Average Teacher Salary as a Percent of Average Annual Pay of All Workers (Table 348) +
Average Daily Attendance as a Percent of Fall Enrollment in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in 2004 (Table 370) +
Percent of School-Age Population in Public Schools (Table 412) +
High School Drop Out Rate (Table 185) -
Special Education Pupil-Teacher Ratio (Table 326) -
Percent of Public Elementary and Secondary School Staff Who are School District Administrators (Table 357) -
Average Class Size in Public Elementary Schools (Table 390) -
Average Class Size in Public Secondary Schools (Table 391) -
Median Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Public Primary Schools (Table 401) -
Median Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Public Middle Schools (Table 404) -
Median Pupil-Teacher Ratio and Public High Schools (Table 407) -

rollininstyle2004
12-03-2005, 12:56 AM
I actually didnt even click the link before i posted...i just saw static's post and assumed it was soley SAT based.

I dont think what i meant came out right. Basically there are statistics somewhere (i forgot where i saw them) about how many high school juniors or seniors take the SAT in a particular state (out of the total, so percentage taking the test) and the states average score. There was a common pattern that the more students taking the test the lower the states average score. It also so happened that the states that had the MOST students taking the test were located in the South. On the other end, the states with the highest scores had very low numbers of students taking the tests. So since i THOUGHT (i was wrong) thoose numbers were based soley on the SAT scores i was just showing how using that single test would create a biased study. Im not trying to make an excuse for anything just giving an opinion on the study.

Now since the stats were made on all the above points i think they are pretty accurate and GA is just a dumb state :lmao:

rollininstyle2004
12-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Oh and about SAT not measuring Scholastic Aptitude the CollegeBoard did officialy remove the "Scholastic Aptitude Test[/b] as the meaning behind the acronym though...it is now just the SAT, lol...

Princeton Review did find a direct correlation though between average SAT scores and average household income. As income increased so did scores...some could argue that the richer people could afford better schools for thier children, giving them a better education, etc....who knows....Honestly I dislike standardized tests

DrivenMind
12-03-2005, 02:24 AM
100 miles south of Atlanta should be considered a different state... hell just drive down there, and suddenly you remember you're still in the "south".

C22H19N3O4
12-03-2005, 05:54 AM
I actually didnt even click the link before i posted...i just saw static's post and assumed it was soley SAT based.

I dont think what i meant came out right. Basically there are statistics somewhere (i forgot where i saw them) about how many high school juniors or seniors take the SAT in a particular state (out of the total, so percentage taking the test) and the states average score. There was a common pattern that the more students taking the test the lower the states average score. It also so happened that the states that had the MOST students taking the test were located in the South. On the other end, the states with the highest scores had very low numbers of students taking the tests. So since i THOUGHT (i was wrong) thoose numbers were based soley on the SAT scores i was just showing how using that single test would create a biased study. Im not trying to make an excuse for anything just giving an opinion on the study.

Now since the stats were made on all the above points i think they are pretty accurate and GA is just a dumb state :lmao:

I understand where you're coming from. I think we all read the SAT stats every year and Georgia is always close to, if not in last place. I agree that solely using the SATs to gauge the intelligence of students is misleading. Some states have adopted the ACT as their primary aptitude test for college bound students. I think there should be a definitive standard nationwide that way high schools can properly implement a required prep course for students.
As far as your disgust for standardized tests, we really don't have any alternative. We need to be able to measure where students stand academically and that's part of the way the government determines funding for schools.
I have read that college grads make ~ 1 million dollars more in their lifetime that non-college grads.

Which town would I be in if traveled 100 miles south of Atlanta? Is that Valdosta?

HyPer50
12-03-2005, 06:27 AM
100 miles south of Atlanta is Macon. atleast if thats 100 miles south on I75 = P Anyways.... I'm always suprised how well the Northeast states always do on these kind of things.... although I am suprised to see New Jersey up there with New England.. lol, South west is the dumbest part of the country, not the south east, finally.

Vuongy_Dong
12-03-2005, 12:34 PM
lol. my boy just moved there. says its alot of hispanics there.

rollininstyle2004
12-04-2005, 01:06 AM
I understand where you're coming from. I think we all read the SAT stats every year and Georgia is always close to, if not in last place. I agree that solely using the SATs to gauge the intelligence of students is misleading. Some states have adopted the ACT as their primary aptitude test for college bound students. I think there should be a definitive standard nationwide that way high schools can properly implement a required prep course for students.
As far as your disgust for standardized tests, we really don't have any alternative. We need to be able to measure where students stand academically and that's part of the way the government determines funding for schools.

I agree with that 100%...i definately belive there should be a way to accurate measure intelligence on a standard scale. However i just dont feel the SAT does that. Standardized testing in general is becoming less and less important for college admissions as the years go on. Looking at a students course load as well as thier high school transcript is a much more accurate representation of a students level of intelligence then the result of 4 hours on a Saturday morning. Some people just are not good test takers...i dont feel my SAT scores and my GPA would represent the same level. However like you said, there really is no alternative :(

rnd2000
12-04-2005, 06:42 AM
I lived in new york, and long island for a little while and I have to say the schools were alot harder then when I moved to Ga

devinwebb907
12-13-2005, 10:11 AM

hey screw you

C22H19N3O4
12-13-2005, 02:05 PM
^^Ha ha ha.

IntegraXTR
12-13-2005, 02:20 PM
hey screw you

lol

devinwebb907
12-13-2005, 02:50 PM
id also like to throw in, that if this counts by SAT i definitely dragged our state higher up in the rankings. south ga pride. act also.

bigfred706
12-28-2005, 04:54 PM
100 MILES SOUTH OF ATLANTA IS COLUMBUS
0o===\H/===o0

98Impreza234
02-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Georiga I hate it.