PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods What's Better? Top mount, Botton, or Ram????

BORICUACIVICR
06-12-2011, 12:50 AM
I was told that top mount is the best and more efficient way to mount a turbo and will get better power and less lag. Is this true, or is it just a preferance depending on the builder??

I am in the process of boosting my car but wanted to get opinons on this.

I would like to hear from someone that has had boosted cars and has had experience in this issue, or had tested different set ups and can speak out of experience.

Thanks!

Jdm94Coupe
06-12-2011, 10:33 AM
What's your setup? And plans for the car? Present and future.....

Axix23
06-18-2011, 09:57 AM
i like all positions.. But raming it is the best.. :)

Jdm94Coupe
06-18-2011, 10:36 AM
i like mine mounted on top.......

gerardojdm
06-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Great minds think alike! It blows better on top. Seriously...

Jdm94Coupe
06-18-2011, 11:58 AM
^ pics or it didnt happen!....... sorry i just love looking at a good topmount setup

Vuongy_Dong
07-20-2011, 11:51 PM
all the same. Baller status if you want top mount. Ram horn is good too. they both are equal length unlike the log ones.

silversol
07-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I like a manafold that lets me keep a/c i could care less about baller status when im sweating my ass off in ga weather lol

trini_gsr
07-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I like a manafold that lets me keep a/c i could care less about baller status when im sweating my ass off in ga weather lol

this. lol. but it depends on how much power you're trying to make, if the car is a daily (that needs a/c), a track car, etc. personally i think for a nice daily making 350whp or less, a log mani is fine, they're usually cheaper than the other kinds, it'll get you to that whp, and with the right sized turbo, lag won't be a big issue. and several of them let u keep a/c too.

but if you're trying to make real power though, you'll need a bigger turbo, and a proper manifold (ramhorn or top mount)...

Jdm94Coupe
07-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Its not about being baller status....... they make more power.

Vuongy_Dong
07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Its not about being baller status....... they make more power.

Only if you have a full blown motor build and a Big ass retarded turbo. a good log manifold like an inline pro can make over 500hp easily. They actually spool a little quicker than the top mounts. A small turbo on a top mount is retarded period.

Jdm94Coupe
07-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Only if you have a full blown motor build and a Big ass retarded turbo. a good log manifold like an inline pro can make over 500hp easily. They actually spool a little quicker than the top mounts. A small turbo on a top mount is retarded period.

not entirely true. depends on the engine.... i build sohc's and ive yet to see a log manifold make over 500..... if he didnt have a built motor and a big turbo why would be talking about top mounts and ram horns anyway, use ur head homie......

Vuongy_Dong
07-24-2011, 12:11 AM
not entirely true. depends on the engine.... i build sohc's and ive yet to see a log manifold make over 500..... if he didnt have a built motor and a big turbo why would be talking about top mounts and ram horns anyway, use ur head homie......

I've seen a inline pro LOG manifold get tuned at balanced performance that made over 500hp. I made 411hp with a Neukin ram horn on the same day my integra was getting tuned there reving to 9.5k back in 2004. To each their own opinion, I would do an INLINE PRO log mani any day if I had to build me a daily driver one day. Top mounts and ram horn are more for top end power, therefore i stated its more for Full Blown built motors and big turbo, reving higher that 8k. An INLINE PRO LOG mani and maybe an SC61s will do really good, plus the option to keep ac and ps. If OP had posted what engine, if built or not (semi build or all out build sleeved)/what power goals, it would be better to answer his question. Its one of those "whats better" type of thread. Reminds me of those "what/how many psi should i run". Everyone fail in this thread, except Trini. I know he is very knowledgeable in the honda game. Not enough info from OP to give OP a good answer to his question. Also, He said "he's in the process of boosting his car". Use your head homie. Its one of those thread with no list of mods or info of what he want/goals.

Jdm94Coupe
07-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I've seen a inline pro LOG manifold get tuned at balanced performance that made over 500hp. I made 411hp with a Neukin ram horn on the same day my integra was getting tuned there reving to 9.5k back in 2004. To each their own opinion, I would do an INLINE PRO log mani any day if I had to build me a daily driver one day. Top mounts and ram horn are more for top end power, therefore i stated its more for Full Blown built motors and big turbo, reving higher that 8k. An INLINE PRO LOG mani and maybe an SC61s will do really good, plus the option to keep ac and ps. If OP had posted what engine, if built or not (semi build or all out build sleeved)/what power goals, it would be better to answer his question. Its one of those "whats better" type of thread. Reminds me of those "what/how many psi should i run". Everyone fail in this thread, except Trini. I know he is very knowledgeable in the honda game. Not enough info from OP to give OP a good answer to his question. Also, He said "he's in the process of boosting his car". Use your head homie. Its one of those thread with no list of mods or info of what he want/goals.

LMAO! thanks for pointing out what I already stated and asked him about. Check the 2nd post of this thread...... what gives u the right to say who "fails" and who doesn't? U some type of forum leader? Lol. Don't assume because you know one persons name in the thread that he is the only one that knows anything......

justnprsh07
07-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Shorter the manifold quicker it spools, bigger the pipping more power it can support, longer the runners cooler the motor stays, turbo on top pulls air off the top turbo on bottom bulls hot air off motor and radiator... Personally my turbo sticks out the front of the car, and thats how u really get the, most out of it

SPOOLIN
08-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't give a damn what you've seen...how about what you have experience with. Anyone can go read honda-tech comparisons and this and that ALL DAY LONG. Ive had bottom mounts, front mounts, ram horns, logs, top mounts. Nothing has gave me better over all performance in an air to air setup than the top mount. Nothing is more efficient OVERALL than a front mount (forward facing) setup with air to water. It all depends on the WHOLE Package. I can post a picture collage of all my manifold setups if need be lol

Jdm94Coupe
08-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't give a damn what you've seen...how about what you have experience with. Anyone can go read honda-tech comparisons and this and that ALL DAY LONG. Ive had bottom mounts, front mounts, ram horns, logs, top mounts. Nothing has gave me better over all performance in an air to air setup than the top mount. Nothing is more efficient OVERALL than a front mount (forward facing) setup with air to water. It all depends on the WHOLE Package. I can post a picture collage of all my manifold setups if need be lol

do it..... just cause i wanna see em all..... find somebody to buy my topmount stover, i know you got some d16 ppl up there!

h22 jones
08-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Shit ten years ago everybody was running south florida performance manifolds wish i could find some pictures and they were more the log style but supported whatever you wanted to do. Not saying they were the best by no means as they have been weeded out and newer and better things have come up but you cant argue with nine second cars ten years ago lol. No they wasnt in street trim and not trying to get in a pissing match but unless you are were spoolin is trying to get every inch out of his setup to help him compete the answer is which ever one suits you the best lol.

SPOOLIN
08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
lol i remember the sfp manifolds, MIA since 2005.

h22 jones
08-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Actually i know ere two are still running make really good power right now lol. One is on a fully built b16 for about five years making around 400 on low boost and the other is on mr franks that has never came together but its a 600hp set up if he can keep it together. Berta and steven made over 600 with them and shawn at upgrade did realy good with them back in the day . Im sure in your case you have seen it all and know what works best for you to be able to compete but hell id love to rock one a 400-500hp setup i dont have to be fancy lol.

jcs
08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
i plan to make 400 to 500 on a log style :D

justin from jjspec i think made 400 with one on a single slammer

Jdm94Coupe
08-05-2011, 07:52 AM
i plan to make 400 to 500 on a log style :D

justin from jjspec i think made 400 with one on a single slammer

depends on the engine..... of course its easier to make 500whp on a h series then a d series.... how much boost was he running to make 400?

jcs
08-05-2011, 02:09 PM
depends on the engine..... of course its easier to make 500whp on a h series then a d series.... how much boost was he running to make 400?

mine will be on a frankenstein "G" and i wanna say he was in the upper 20s and ran out of injector and at a certain point the head would lift blowing the headgasket.

BORICUACIVICR
08-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Dam I had no Idea this thread would have so much controversy, My son actually desided to go top mount using an LSD1 engine with a stock bottom and a port polished LS head. He used a Super T70 XS Power turbo, front mount inter cooler w/48mm HKS waste gate, XS power BOV, Skunk2 Pro Series Intake Mani. It's crrently running it at 10psi, but he's gotten it up to 25psi. The car actually pulls very good, but needs a good tuning, if I had to guess I would say hes puting out about 250-275whp on 10psi, and 300-325whp on 25psi (Just my guess guys don't hold me to it exactly) The car is not a dd or a full race car it's just to chill and raise a little hell around town on thursdays and weekends. We just got a fully built B20 that we may put in to it, and take the ls and swap it in to my others son 89 CRX si. I can post pics later I don't hav any at the moment.

Thank to all for you feedback and opinions, all of our research pointed to top mount as the best and more efficient way to make power with our set up and a fully built engine which is our ultimate goal. The one thing we are really interested in now is running on E85 because we are told that it's better and has 116 octaine at about 40% cheaper than 93 and 50-60% cheaper than race fuel (VP) so just trying to see how we can conver it to runn on E85.

Thank again...

h22 jones
08-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Good choice for your future goals and good luck.