PDA

View Full Version : 49 States, 4 corners and the Arctic Circle, Solo Sportbike Ride for Alzheimers

dazn
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
49 States, 4 corners and the Arctic Circle, Solo sportbike Ride for Alzheimers

Hey everyone, its been a while since Ive been on IA. Ive moved around a bit since the last time I was here. Spent some time in NC and traveled all over the US for work. Now its time to do a bit of traveling on the bike. I've decided to take the rest of the year off full time work to really explore this country.

June 23rd, I leave from GA on a ride on my 2008 Honda CBR1000RR that will take me to 49 states, the 4 corners of the contiguous US and the Arctic Circle. It started out as a ride just to ride and get away from everything but I've realized over my short years that I just can't get away from real life no matter how hard I try. Since I started planning this trip, my grandfather passed away in Feb due to dementia so Ive changed the purpose and now its a charity ride to honor my grandfather. I will be riding for the charity organizations Alzheimer's Foundation of America and also Project Lifesavers International.
I won't completely bore you guys will all the details up front, but here are the links to their sites. Please take a look at them if you have some spare time.
http://www.alzfdn.org/
www.projectlifesaver.org

The plan is to hit Key West first, then make my up north north to Maine, then Washington, up to Alaska, then back down to Socal and finally back to Georgia. And during this time, Ill be working. Some background on that, I am one of the lucky few who actually enjoys my job. I basically play with race cars. I build them then set up them and watch them go around the racetrack. Nothing cooler than watching a race car you built go faster each session as you tinker with it. The team I will be working for is West Race Cars out of Atlanta, GA. I worked for them for several years in the past building the cars and prototyping the new model. They asked me to do the IMSA Prototype Lites races this year so I'll ride to the first couple of races then fly to the rest. That has added a lot of logistical issues that have been quite challenging but Ive just been plugging away at it and it seems like it will work fine.

www.WestRaceCars.com

Here is a link to my travel blog that I will be updating. I will be updating the ADV thread also, but the blog will be where it starts.

www.motovagabond2011.blogspot.com
Donations to Alzheimers Foundation of America and Project Lifesavers can be made through links in my blog. All donations go directly to their respective organizations through their own website.

Current updates can also be found on my facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=inbox#!/profile.php?id=503472773
Most everything is prepped now and Im just waiting on my saddlebags to come back then I will be ready to roll out on the 23rd. I dying with anticipation, Im ready to go today but I have to be patient, its gonna be a long ride so no need to rush into it.

I also have a thread on ADV Rider than can be seen here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696125
I hope you guys follow along!

Subleg4
06-10-2011, 04:25 PM
That sounds awesome man, enjoy and ride safe

Bacon
06-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you are gonna have fun. Riding for a good cause.

03RCode
06-11-2011, 01:31 PM
That's awesome man. Stay safe and enjoy the sights!