PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods All motor B20- tranny differences?

Toreyjw1
06-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I built a b20 a while back when my LS threw a rod out the block. since then my diff has bad lash and i had a great deal on a CTR tranny so i swapped it out fro the stock ls tranny that had been paired to my high compression b20.

is there a text book performance difference? considering the shorter final drive and shorter gears, i figured it would be faster because its N/A. before i could chirp third but now, i grab it really, really hard, and sometimes even leave drag going into 3rd.

is this just an illusion or have i increased the speed in which i accelerate? i can tell a huge difference in drivability because the gear drops be right back in my powerband but is that what im feeling or what? :thinking:

any input or theory is appreciated! :yes:

h22 jones
06-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Unless you are to the point that you make so much power you need a higher geared tranny (which you are no were near ) a lower geared tranny will be faster . Going from a ls tranny to a b16 on that setup should be a good bit faster and feel a good bit stronger . It would also run better times at the track. A easy way to explain it is a h22 with a hseries tranny makes 185hp to the wheels and runs 35s at the track in a eg hatch . If you go h2b with a b16 tranny it puts down over 200hp to the wheels and runs 12.9-13.0 in the quarter . I dont beleive going from a ls to a b16 tranny will be as big a difference for many reasons . A h tranny has 20 percent more weight in the moving assembly then a b series tranny and that has alot to do with the hudge difference in going h2b . Im sure the b16 tranny would dropp at least a couple tenths in the quarter but im not sure that you could see the difference on a dyno .It is deffently a plus to your swapp.

One more thing when your comparing a tranny or motors the spinning of the wheels means nothing this is why. I can put a stage three clutch on a stock h22 and chirp fifth gear . It has nothing to do with the power but how fast and hard the clutch grabs . Of course after it chirped fifth the motor would bog lol. I realy couldnt understand what you was getting at about the whole driving thing but yes you should feel a difference.

h22 jones
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
double post.

Samhonda95
06-06-2011, 01:53 AM
A easy way to explain it is a h22 with a hseries tranny makes 185hp to the wheels and runs 35s at the track in a eg hatch . If you go h2b with a b16 tranny it puts down over 200hp to the wheels and runs 12.9-13.0 in the quarter .

so ur saying a shorter geared tranny give ur MOTOR more hp?