PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods vtec or non vtec

GlennsEK
05-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Right now I have a y7 , should I go vtec like z6 or y8 or just build my y7 need some opinions.

Supraboy87T
05-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Are you staying all motor? If so what kind of power are you looking for? If you are aiming for high hp numbers with a D you need to boost. It ain't cheap to build a high hp D. If you are just going for bolt ons and a tune I don't think it'll matter which motor you build slow is slow. But I'm building an all motor Z6 if you look in this section further down.

h22 jones
05-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Ive always been for vtec because of the gas mileage but scottie from mainstream seems to do good with his boosted non vtec .

I dont think it realy matters with what your trying to do . Before to go through trying to find a vtec head and ecu to swap it all over buy a cheap turbo kit or save for a swap of some kind.

GlennsEK
05-31-2011, 03:57 PM
H22 ?, what does vtec do for gas milliage? Are you saying go vtec head and ecu or just get a swap and boost it ?

Toreyjw1
05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
H22 ?, what does vtec do for gas milliage? Are you saying go vtec head and ecu or just get a swap and boost it ?

vtec locks the intake and exhaust lobes together, changing the duration adn profile of the intake. thus delivering the stoich a/f mixture that your fuel maps give! essentially, say youre putting around pre vtec, at about 4 grand max, your not dropping nearly the amount of fuel as a if you were in vtec. if you were in vtec, yur revs are going to be two times as high, so two times the fuel consumption, not to mention the compensation of the higher intake as well. take into consideration, vtec engines lack drivability at low rpm severely. which is why a b20 engine will feel much more "torquie" due to their lower powerband, not necessarily due to thier displacement difference.

race application or always driving fast, i say vtec. daily driver with some spirited driving here and there, non vtec.

h22 jones
05-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Its just easier to run a big cam in a na set up and still keep drivability and gas mileage with vtec . If your going to turbo as long as you stay out of boost it works the same way .

Long term goals is what we need to know to help you but since you did post this in the na section i would say go vtec . I wouldnt say go through the trouble to go sinlge vtec though . Its just to much trouble with no reward . Save up for a swap or turbo your single .

Supraboy87T
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
^This. Ask me how I know. LOL

GlennsEK
06-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm going z6 boost