PDA

View Full Version : Toyota MR2 Spyder: ticking/rattling coming from top end

allout13
05-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I have a ticking/rattling coming from my motor. It isn't so bad when the motor is cold, but when it reaches full operating temp it become quite noticeable between 2500-3500 rpm. It only makes noice when accelerating or maintaining speed. When letting off of the throttle the noise goes away.

Valve clearances have been checked and everything is in spec. Timing chain tensioner has been replaced. Serpentine belt was removed and sound was still there, so that rules out the serpentine belt tensioner or even possibly the water pump. OCV valve was cleaned. Anything else that can be checked?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKrZ9Tt8GfA

-EnVus-
05-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a spun bearing toyotas are bad about that

allout13
05-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a spun bearing toyotas are bad about that

It's possible, but the sound is coming from the valvetrain. The symptoms aren't like a rod knock either. If it were a rod knock, the sound should go away when the car is accelerating and get loud when you let off of the gas. Mine is behaving opposite of this. I lose all ticking when letting off of the gas.

-EnVus-
05-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Still sounds just like the Yota truck i had it spun a bearing and was quiet as can be till accelerating or revving around 3k.

MR.2
06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
i know what it is this is the sound all the 1zz makes befor they start to drink oil. time for a new motor soon.

it can be from 2 things

Pre cat fail
or
the rings gave out and oil concuption is about to start like a quart a mile when it gets bad

EmminoDaGreat
06-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Rod knock doesn't always go away when the cars accelerating, hell I have had cars only knock between x rpms and load on acceleration... just fyi. And they wouldn't knock at idle.

allout13
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
i know what it is this is the sound all the 1zz makes befor they start to drink oil. time for a new motor soon.

it can be from 2 things

Pre cat fail
or
the rings gave out and oil concuption is about to start like a quart a mile when it gets bad

nope
pre cat was gutted when I got the car. I put probably 5 or 6k miles on the motor like this and had no abnormal oil usage.

Rod knock doesn't always go away when the cars accelerating, hell I have had cars only knock between x rpms and load on acceleration... just fyi. And they wouldn't knock at idle.

fwiw it ended up being rod knock
1 and 3 were spun