PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Kawasaki issues

gforce71
05-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I have a 1993 Kawi 600. Just had alot of work done to it to make it reliable, but it has gremlins. Got it back and it ran great for about a month, then it would randomly die on me when riding. It would take about 5 minutes but it usually fires back up. Now I can crank it and it will run for about a minute before dying then it will just crank but not start. It appears not to be getting gas, because I can unhook the tank after attempting to start it and less than a teaspoon of gas is in the line. I had the fuel switch replaced but the problem still exists. I have been checking and replacing vacuum lines in an attempt to get it running but nothing. Does anyone have any idea what it issue could be and where I should start looking?

Echonova
05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
If memory serves me right the '93 600's had mad problems with the carbs. You could try adjusting the idle speed, but more than likely you have to clean/rebuild the carbs.

Although what you're describing almost sounds like a heat soak issue. I can't remember if the intake is run over the top of the motor or not... But that may be your issue as well.

Sorry for not being much help... Your bike is even older than when I was riding... Lulz.

mushroom_toy
05-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Echos right, I would say running wise its probably the carbs. I have to clean carbs on every bike I get. Im also thinking you might have some crap in the tank. Drain the tank, look inside of it, if need be wash it out till its completely clean with water (without the petcock on the tank) and let it air dry and blow it dry with compressed air. Make sure the petcock is clean and reinstall then fill her back up with gas. Run an inline fuel filter, and if the petcock is vacuum operated make sure all of the vacuum lines running from the tank to the carbs/carbholders are clean and clear.

gforce71
05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
The carbs have been cleaned and re-jetted within the past few months and I've replaced all the vacuum lines coming from the petcock. But I'm with you Luke, I'll be fully draining and cleaning the tank tomorrow.

Echonova
05-09-2011, 10:37 PM
I think Echo's on to something.

mushroom_toy
05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I think Echo's on to something.

I see what you did there. :P

mushroom_toy
05-10-2011, 11:36 AM
The carbs have been cleaned and re-jetted within the past few months and I've replaced all the vacuum lines coming from the petcock. But I'm with you Luke, I'll be fully draining and cleaning the tank tomorrow.

Yeah try that first. Why exactly where the carbs rejetted? Did you fit pod filters, a different exhaust or something? If the mains are jetted too rich and the pilots not enough for the mods done it wont idle worth a crap. It has to be a very fine balance between the two.

03RCode
05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah try that first. Why exactly where the carbs rejetted? Did you fit pod filters, a different exhaust or something? If the mains are jetted too rich and the pilots not enough for the mods done it wont idle worth a crap. It has to be a very fine balance between the two.

Mains have nothing to do with idle. Main jet doesn't come into play till around 3/4 throttle. Pilot is your idle jet, your needle also helps control as soon as it comes off idle. Now once it gets off idle you'll need a good balance across the board, but at idle it's all about the pilot.

mushroom_toy
05-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Mains have nothing to do with idle. Main jet doesn't come into play till around 3/4 throttle. Pilot is your idle jet, your needle also helps control as soon as it comes off idle. Now once it gets off idle you'll need a good balance across the board, but at idle it's all about the pilot.

Actually mains can have something to do with it. Until we know whats done to the bike or how its tuned we dont know for sure. If the main was completely clogged, it could affect idle as there is some bleed through at the needle (which the main jet feeds). If the bike were tuned taking this bleed through into account, and the jet was then clogged, the bike would not idle.

And if you read what I said more carefully you would understand that I didnt say that the mains specifically had anything to do with idle. Read it again. I was giving a scenario where the mains were too rich and the pilots too lean according to the mods possibly by the shop or someone else. I didnt say if the MAIN is jetted too rich only.

03RCode
05-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Actually mains can have something to do with it. Until we know whats done to the bike or how its tuned we dont know for sure. If the main was completely clogged, it could affect idle as there is some bleed through at the needle (which the main jet feeds). If the bike were tuned taking this bleed through into account, and the jet was then clogged, the bike would not idle.

And if you read what I said more carefully you would understand that I didnt say that the mains specifically had anything to do with idle. Read it again. I was giving a scenario where the mains were too rich and the pilots too lean according to the mods possibly by the shop or someone else. I didnt say if the MAIN is jetted too rich only.

I've seen several accounts of bikes with mains being completely stopped where bikes would idle fine, and as soon as you try to move off idle they die. The ONLY thing affecting idle directly is the pilot, the needle begins affecting as soon as the throttle is touched. Until then if properly setup the pilot is the only thing affecting idle. The overlap between pilot and needle is not enough to necessarily cause any issue at all with idle. Also seeing as how he said it ran great for a month I doubt the main would be the problem, mains are the hardest to stop up due to of course the biggest hole, and if the mains where incorrect the bike would have never ran great to begin with.

I used to deal with carb and fuel injection tuning on a daily basis, everything from Ironhead Harley's, to a low 8 second N/A ZX14. If his mains where too big (or small for that matter) he would have noticed the bike not running well. If it's idling for a few seconds it really seems like the issue may be in the petcock or trash in the tank stopping up the petcock as you said. Also if it's a vacuum operated petcock it could be getting insufficient vacuum from the case causing it to not pull enough fuel through. I know he replaced the lines, but that doesn't mean that it is necessarily pulling enough vacuum. I'd pull the carbs, check pilots, check float level, clean everything else while you have it apart, then bypass the tank line by putting a feed line directly from a fuel source (We have a bottle with a nipple tip running to a regular fuel line to put onto the carb) to bypass the tank/petcock issue all together to see if you can pinpoint the problem.

mushroom_toy
05-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Im glad you did. I still do deal with carbs everyday. Differing opinions. Read more carefully, or not.

gforce71
05-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Ok, I took the tank apart today and yes, its a vacuum operated petcock that is relativity new. The bike was rejetted to accommodate the new 4-1 exhaust. all work was done by a certified kawi tech. but I believe its something to do with the petcock not opening.

a little more indepth background: It ran awesome for a month after I got it back from the tech, then just died one day when I was riding, just cut off, no sputtering, the tach just dropped and would not restart. let it sit for about 5 minutes and it fired back up and I rode home (less than a mile). when I got home I tried to start it back up it idled but died within 2 minutes. Now if it sits for a little for a while it will start but will die within a minute or so. But I'm going to try a few more things before taking it back to my tech because I'm a n00b when it comes to bikes.

03RCode
05-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, I took the tank apart today and yes, its a vacuum operated petcock that is relativity new. The bike was rejetted to accommodate the new 4-1 exhaust. all work was done by a certified kawi tech. but I believe its something to do with the petcock not opening.

a little more indepth background: It ran awesome for a month after I got it back from the tech, then just died one day when I was riding, just cut off, no sputtering, the tach just dropped and would not restart. let it sit for about 5 minutes and it fired back up and I rode home (less than a mile). when I got home I tried to start it back up it idled but died within 2 minutes. Now if it sits for a little for a while it will start but will die within a minute or so. But I'm going to try a few more things before taking it back to my tech because I'm a n00b when it comes to bikes.

The petcock can be brand new, but if it's not pulling good vacuum from the case it's not going to function properly. The vacuum is what makes the petcock flow.

gforce71
05-11-2011, 08:41 AM
thanks, I'll try to figure out why its not creating a vacuum.

03RCode
05-11-2011, 09:11 AM
thanks, I'll try to figure out why its not creating a vacuum.

Without looking I'm not 100% sure it's not, just another option.

mushroom_toy
05-11-2011, 10:49 AM
It probably is the Vac. Had the same thing happen on one of my KZs. :) The diaphrams in the petcocks can get pinholes very easily, sometimes just by looking at em haha, but yeah if you cant get it fixed if you can get it here ill take a look at it.

gforce71
05-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Pm'ed Mushroom_Toy

mushroom_toy
05-12-2011, 01:04 AM
You have a re-pm haha.

Echonova
05-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Now it's just getting all homo in here...

~leaves~

gforce71
05-12-2011, 09:34 PM
he'll be back... :ninja:

Bacon
05-12-2011, 11:02 PM
I still gotta figure out my overheating issue.

Yours sounds like something simple.

gforce71
05-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Took the bike to Mushroom_Toy last night. He worked it over and is running great right now, I'll have it out tomorrow to make sure its 100% but as of right now its back together and running great. Thanks bro! I owe ya!

David88vert
05-19-2011, 06:59 AM
That sounds great. Glad you got it fixed.

Echonova
05-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Glad I could help.

mushroom_toy
05-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Took the bike to Mushroom_Toy last night. He worked it over and is running great right now, I'll have it out tomorrow to make sure its 100% but as of right now its back together and running great. Thanks bro! I owe ya!

No prob. man. Hopefully shell stay happy. :)