PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a transmission

00Civic
05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, quick question about cleaning a transmission. I just picked up a transmission and I was wondering what are some of the different techniques that you use to clean it?

Pressure washing it? Hosing it down with a garden hose?

The transmission is sitting on the ground and I was wondering, would hosing it down with water harm the internal components of the transmission?

Any tips/advice is appreciated!

EmminoDaGreat
05-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Try not to spray directly into the open differential holes, or speedo hole. However I use some cleaner and water to clean the trannys I rebuild, pressure washer makes it a lot easier.

Scotsman
05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
purple power and a rag

slostang
05-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Brake cleaner

Jdmsol
05-07-2011, 10:46 PM
I use fine grit steel wool, and a brass wire brush

FasTech
05-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Purple Power and a tooth brush. Have it looking fresh after a hour. Did 3 engine bays and it works better than grease lighting to me. Plus, its cheap at mostly any parts store. Mix it with water if you ever plan on cleaning painted area's. Found that out the hard way.

00Civic
05-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Thanks for that info as well FasTech. I've been planning on cleaning my engine bay at some point next week

Drummerboy
06-08-2011, 01:51 AM
I put rags in all openings, sprayed mine down with purple power, let it sit, pressure washer, then a lot of brake cleaner to get any left over loose dirt and to dry up any water.

SPOOLIN
06-08-2011, 08:13 PM
dont even bother with rags...a little water is NOT going to hurt a tranny. Pressure was the hell out of it and then DRAIN IT before putting fluids in it. If there is fluid in it already then leave it, pressure wash it, then drain it and the water will come out with the oil. The water really wont even get on anything except little spots of the diff, its just going to go strait to the bottom and the stacks are not at the bottom.

metalmatt47
06-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, quick question about cleaning a transmission. I just picked up a transmission and I was wondering what are some of the different techniques that you use to clean it?

Pressure washing it? Hosing it down with a garden hose?

The transmission is sitting on the ground and I was wondering, would hosing it down with water harm the internal components of the transmission?

Any tips/advice is appreciated!

Hosing it is probably a waste of time. Stuff it with rags and pressure wash the bitch.

If you don't have one, go to the local car wash and spend a few bucks there. Take some purple power with you.