PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to Arcades in Malls?

Nemesis
05-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Seriously, I remember back in the day bumming dollar bills from my mom to go play shit while she went shopping. Now you go into a mall and dont see them anymore :(

Relentless
05-03-2011, 08:32 AM
'Good ole days'. North Dekalb Mall use to have one, I'm not too sure if they still do... And if they do, they're probably one of the only mall that had one.

Vteckidd
05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Homne consoles technology surpassed the arcade and made them outdated.

Used to be you played the arcade game and waited for it to be ported to a console (IE Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, etc). Now theres no use, as a $300 PS3 vastly visually and mechanically outshines any $5000-10000 arcade unit.

Brett
05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Home consoles give little reason to drop money on video games outside of the home yo!!

Nerdsrock22
05-03-2011, 10:54 AM
What's a "mall"?

Brett
05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
That place where teens USED to be able to hang out without an adult!! LOL

Nguyen128
05-03-2011, 12:40 PM
They have them in some Wal-Marts now lol

FasTech
05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
They have them in some Wal-Marts now lol

I've seen those too but I wouldn't consider it a arcade. Usually, they only have 2 to 3 games and maybe like a gumball machine. But I remember those days like they were yesterday. The Macon mall had a huge one above the food court and beg mom to spare some dollars. And for some reason, I remember them shutting it down a few years ago but it was always packed out in there. Especially with dance revolutiuon. LMAO

Nerdsrock22
05-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I've seen those too but I wouldn't consider it a arcade. Usually, they only have 2 to 3 games and maybe like a gumball machine. But I remember those days like they were yesterday. The Macon mall had a huge one above the food court and beg mom to spare some dollars. And for some reason, I remember them shutting it down a few years ago but it was always packed out in there. Especially with dance revolutiuon. LMAO

I loved watching mildly overweight white guys and asian girls play DDR.

FasTech
05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I loved watching mildly overweight white guys and asian girls play DDR.

LOL white people are the funniest to watch. I remember a tall skinny black guy busted his ass one time. Went to try and catch himself but flew over into another arcade machine and popped the back of his head. Oh how sometimes I miss those days.

roxie911
05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Little kids have "hand held" gameboys and shit now (maybe not gameboy...DS?...I dropped out of the gaming world after the N64 stopped production LOL! I don't know what they use now).

Nerdsrock22
05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Little kids have "hand held" gameboys and shit now (maybe not gameboy...DS?...I dropped out of the gaming world after the N64 stopped production LOL! I don't know what they use now).

YOU DAMN KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN WITH YER GAMEBOXS AND YER PLAYCUBES!

FasTech
05-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Screw N64. It was all about Sega back in those days! LMAO. Hell, I even still have an Atari. Ask just about 90% of kids nowdays, they wouldn't know what an Atari or Sega is.

Got Milk?
05-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Screw N64. It was all about Sega back in those days! LMAO. Hell, I even still have an Atari. Ask just about 90% of kids nowdays, they wouldn't know what an Atari or Sega is.

FUck Yes. I been looking to buy one

r0nin
05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
n64 had goldeneye

'nuff said.

MR2DR
05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
The one at North Dekalb Mall is still there.. empty as fuck. I remember the one at North Point.

At least we still have D&B's?

roxie911
05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
n64 had goldeneye

'nuff said.

THIS!! 007 BIATCH!

FasTech
05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
FUck Yes. I been looking to buy one

I still play my Sega time to time. My Atari has been in the Atic since we moved into this house 10yrs ago. So, I doubt it works but then again they made shit to last back then. Might try it out later. haha.

roxie911
05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I just want Sega so I can play TMNT and Sonic hahaha

Skorcher
05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I miss the days of arcades. I worked at one for a while, loved having a key to get into all the games. Pay was minimum wage, but I was young enough at the time I didn't care.... this was 13-14 years ago. Got me into E3 that year too.

Nemesis
05-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah Home consoles are great and all, but there was some sort of satisfaction by performing an Ultra combo in the face IN PERSON and the crowd going OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Orchid was a hot ass bishhhhhhhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq22hvpti_Y

CHADbee
05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah Home consoles are great and all, but there was some sort of satisfaction by performing an Ultra combo in the face IN PERSON and the crowd going OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Orchid was a hot ass bishhhhhhhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq22hvpti_Y
Let's go to Sherwood Forrest and play some Tekken!

Oh wait :(

quickdodge®
05-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Young folks don't know anything about arcades. Lolol. Later, QD.

GlennsEK
05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah the old arcade days were fun.. now xbox and PS3 took over (nothing wrong with either but) it just not that same

Echonova
05-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Young folks don't know anything about arcades. Lolol. Later, QD.True story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXErtjerzYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OeX9ryCprs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P6kAeQ_m1Q

FasTech
05-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Young folks don't know anything about arcades. Lolol. Later, QD.

Hell, I'm young to you but when Playstation 1 was the big thing, I was playing it up on some Sega. Had a playstation but Sega was way more fun!

I just want Sega so I can play TMNT and Sonic hahaha

Sonic was by far the best game on Sega!!! Period.

FasTech
05-03-2011, 11:16 PM
True story.

Dude, Paperboy was so fun! Hated that damn twister coming up on me though. LMAO.

Doppelgänger
05-04-2011, 07:00 AM
I just want to know what inspired Jorgee to randomly capitalize "Arcade" and "Mall" since neither are proper names.

Nemesis
05-04-2011, 07:58 AM
I just want to know what inspired Jorgee to randomly capitalize "Arcade" and "Mall" since neither are proper names.

INTERNET EMPHASIS ASSHOLE

LOL

Sol-Badguy
05-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Arbor Place in Douglasville still has one. It's a Namco arcade, so they have Tekken 5 DR, SVC Chaos, DDR Supernova, Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, etc.

Relentless
05-04-2011, 08:15 AM
n64 had goldeneye

'nuff said.

007 was the shit! Anyone ever played Cruising World on n64?

Vteckidd
05-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I remember my dad giving me $20 in middle/high school for the "weekend" and i would go down to the Base Rec Center and play Killer Instinct all night. Or that Aerosmith Game.

In college in between classes id go to the campus cafeteria where they had Tekken Tag Tournament and we would play that (and sometimes miss class lol)

But back then consoles tech was way behind the arcade machine. The arcade was the standard for technology it always showcased the stuff first, then it got scaled down and ported to a console.

Obviously not the case now. And look whats popular. Call Of Duty would suck on an arcade machine where you are limited to maybe 4 players at most. I think the only purpose for arcade games anymore would be a fighting game like mortal Kombat or Marvel vs Capcom etc. But even then, the consoles are so far ahead, and the development is so much cheaper, and frankly they make SO MUCH MORE MONEY going straight to console theres almost no point in arcade machines anymore.

Think about it. Lets take Marvel vs Capcom 3

Capcom shipped 2 million copies. thats 2 million copies at $59.99 a piece. thats $120 MILLION IN SALES! And thats prob just in the first month or two. Console copies are obviously smaller, easier to ship, sell etc.

Arcade release they would have to make multiple machines which costs more money. The development is the same because they still have to engineer the game, but now they have to have an arcade version, arcade machine, etc. Then they have to find people to BUY the machines (which can be anywhere from $5000-15000). Then you ahve to bank on kids going to the mall or some other venue to play the game at .25 to .50 a pop. Couple that with you have to sell X machines across the nation to even come close to the 1-2 million customers you would instantly get with a console game, it just doesnt add up.

The money just isnt there, and in todays market its a bad investment.

Frankly games like DDR are very few an far between and with Kinect and Move, there really isnt any use for it anymore

FasTech
05-04-2011, 12:04 PM
they still had Time Out which is an arcade.

Time Out was the name of the one in the Macon Mall I was talking about preivously. I wasn't aware they had more around. lol. Does it still have the big clock above the door as you walk in? The two might have been setup differently though.

Nemesis
05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Area 51 was the shit in the arcades

FasTech
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I use to kill some Resident Evil in the arcade.

smoknlegend
05-04-2011, 04:38 PM
The one at North Dekalb Mall is still there.. empty as fuck. I remember the one at North Point.

At least we still have D&B's?

The one off delk road in marietta is shitty as fuck. First 3 games i played i had to get my money back because they didnt work!

Arcades are dead since no one really goes to the malls anymore, and they dont want to go enjoy some time at the mall only to have their honda stolen when they come out

FasTech
05-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Man, I really wanna paint my civic so it doesn't look like the hulk

LOL, I agree.

smoknlegend
05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
LOL, I agree.

photoshop can make the car any color i want. Too bad its actually red.

FasTech
05-04-2011, 04:53 PM
photoshop can make the car any color i want. Too bad its actually red.

Not being a dick, but THANK GOD! lol

Doppelgänger
05-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Cruzin' USA....bitches.

Theycall_Metue
05-05-2011, 08:28 AM
im no that old but damn, i remember playing killer instinct when i was 4-5 years old.
fulgore was my all time favorite l0l.

Charge Back, Forward, FK, Forward, FK, Down-Forward, Down, Down-Back, FK, Forward, QP, Forward, Down, Down-Forward, FP

Skorcher
05-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Back when I was 10 or so, a miniature golf place I lived near had a special on Saturdays... from 10-2 seven dollars got you a wristband for unlimited games. They had staff walking around just dumping tokens in any machine you stood at. I couldn't stay away from double dragon and street fighter. Not SFII, but the first one, with the giant pressure pads you had to pound on to punch and kick.

quickdodge®
05-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I remember my dad giving me $20 in middle/high school for the "weekend" and i would go down to the Base Rec Center and play Killer Instinct all night. Or that Aerosmith Game.

In college in between classes id go to the campus cafeteria where they had Tekken Tag Tournament and we would play that (and sometimes miss class lol)

But back then consoles tech was way behind the arcade machine. The arcade was the standard for technology it always showcased the stuff first, then it got scaled down and ported to a console.

Obviously not the case now. And look whats popular. Call Of Duty would suck on an arcade machine where you are limited to maybe 4 players at most. I think the only purpose for arcade games anymore would be a fighting game like mortal Kombat or Marvel vs Capcom etc. But even then, the consoles are so far ahead, and the development is so much cheaper, and frankly they make SO MUCH MORE MONEY going straight to console theres almost no point in arcade machines anymore.

Think about it. Lets take Marvel vs Capcom 3

Capcom shipped 2 million copies. thats 2 million copies at $59.99 a piece. thats $120 MILLION IN SALES! And thats prob just in the first month or two. Console copies are obviously smaller, easier to ship, sell etc.

Arcade release they would have to make multiple machines which costs more money. The development is the same because they still have to engineer the game, but now they have to have an arcade version, arcade machine, etc. Then they have to find people to BUY the machines (which can be anywhere from $5000-15000). Then you ahve to bank on kids going to the mall or some other venue to play the game at .25 to .50 a pop. Couple that with you have to sell X machines across the nation to even come close to the 1-2 million customers you would instantly get with a console game, it just doesnt add up.

The money just isnt there, and in todays market its a bad investment.

Frankly games like DDR are very few an far between and with Kinect and Move, there really isnt any use for it anymore

You're not going back far enough, lolol. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
05-05-2011, 10:41 PM
I mean we can talk gyromite or clowns on commodore 64 but I have a feeling only you and me mike would be talking about it lol

Echonova
05-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Does anyone else remember the Journey video game? That game was bad-ass.

Echonova
05-06-2011, 06:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BDXlMtyUo

Greddypacked
05-09-2011, 06:54 AM
I used to like when Mortal Kombat was there. It would be fun to walk up to someone u didnt know play 2 player and own them... then the next person would come in and show u sh!t u never seen on Liu Kang lol.