PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods should i go vtec or non vtec????? HELP??

Infamous_1
04-30-2011, 03:01 PM
ok first off i want to be different than most people and just stay non vtec
but i know that the non vtec is like have vtec killer cams in with the cams im putting in. I know that it is gonna effect my mpg ALOT and since im deciding to but in a b16 tranny it will also effect it way more! lol

i need this motor to be daily driven also( less then 40 miles a day)

i got a P8R head and after looking it up it flows about the same as a b16 head, also got upgraded valvesprings and retainers. i have crower 404s going in too.
i know that idle is gonna be a little rough and all

so the big question is should i go vtec for a daily driver or stick with non? switch the b16 tranny for gsr for higher mpg? shine some light on me

btw bottom end is:
84.5 mm b20z block
84.5 itr pistons with hasting rings
b18b/b20 crank
all OEM color coded bearings
ls rods with ARP rod bolts
bottom end balanced out
itr oil pump
Gates racing vtec water pump and Timing belt
12 lbs flywheel and a stage 2 disk clutch

*EFilliated*
04-30-2011, 06:09 PM
non vtec is pointless, u wanna be diffrent do Jwap. being diffrent in the honda scene is 0 to none. G/L

Infamous_1
04-30-2011, 08:25 PM
i guess..but doing a j swap is gonna give me no ground clearance or that nasty looking hood prop

Theycall_Metue
04-30-2011, 09:47 PM
doing a j swap is gonna give me no ground clearance or that nasty looking hood prop
shit, i would pimp the hood prop out. " yeah, my hood, you know whats up"
..... i would stay vtec. vtec killer cam isnt suitable for dd. track rated only

h22 jones
04-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Easy to put a ls fifth in your b16 tranny so thats not a factor. i would do what ever is cheapest ,the most reliable, and the fastest screw different.

dilbeckskate
05-01-2011, 03:21 AM
Easy to put a ls fifth in your b16 tranny so thats not a factor. i would do what ever is cheapest ,the most reliable, and the fastest screw different.
couldnt have said it any better, and other buddy also said somthing very true, your never gonna be different in the honda scene, its all commonly done

Infamous_1
05-01-2011, 02:44 PM
nevermind about being a little different lol
and how much would someone charge to put a ls 5th gear in a b16?

h22 jones
05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
100 dollars

94_teg_ls
05-01-2011, 08:56 PM
100 dollars

part are how much

BABY J
05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
You already have a P8R which is unobtanium. Stick w/ the properly tuned non-v --- 404s will idle pretty close to stock if your tuner is worth a shit. Don't reinvent the wheel - your setup will be potent with some nice valves and will run forever. Also toss in a spool or LSD when you drop the tranny.

Infamous_1
05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
decisions decisions decisions....

wrekonize
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
go with non vtec....... the no excuse motor....
don't be like the whinny ass kids that lose races and start making excuses about how their vtec didn't kick in.......

Infamous_1
05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
lol...i know but in the long run a vtec motor will make more power
i need a good reason to stay non v

BABY J
05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
How often are you really dragging at the illegals or the track? I mean REALLY think about it then post back. You have everything you need for a good setup - a 50 shot on top of it will close the deal and you win. Your decision should be based on what you already have in hand. THAT is the simplest route based on your initial post and the only cost incurred is the tune. Don't re-invent the wheel.

LIKEG6
05-02-2011, 09:11 PM
You already have a P8R which is unobtanium. Stick w/ the properly tuned non-v --- 404s will idle pretty close to stock if your tuner is worth a shit. Don't reinvent the wheel - your setup will be potent with some nice valves and will run forever. Also toss in a spool or LSD when you drop the tranny.

This man definitely knows what he's talking about with the non vtec power!!

BABY J
05-02-2011, 10:36 PM
^^ Your steering wheel is on the wrong side sir. Might wanna get that fixed.

LIKEG6
05-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Nah, it's on the right side

Berta
05-03-2011, 06:14 AM
There was a guy down here that had ls engine with b16 pistons, very nice port/polished ls head, springs/retainers, light flywheel, gsr tranny, traction bars, and I think crower 402's or 404's running mid 13's.
I'm sure there is some little things missing here and there, but I would try what you have. You might like the out come. If you feel like you can have a better out come with vtec after you results, then you can easily change that later.

SX-MAN
05-03-2011, 09:34 AM
why spend the extra $ to go vtec when you have all of what you need in your hands.

Papa_Smurf
05-03-2011, 12:05 PM
if you decide to go the vtec route then i'll take some of that nonvtec stuff of your hands.

mainly the cams.......

Infamous_1
05-03-2011, 03:19 PM
How often are you really dragging at the illegals or the track? I mean REALLY think about it then post back. You have everything you need for a good setup - a 50 shot on top of it will close the deal and you win. Your decision should be based on what you already have in hand. THAT is the simplest route based on your initial post and the only cost incurred is the tune. Don't re-invent the wheel.

I prob wont do much on both...mostly daily drive and i dont wanna use nos on this build, just sttraight motor
Can you point me to the right tuner?

Infamous_1
05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
There was a guy down here that had ls engine with b16 pistons, very nice port/polished ls head, springs/retainers, light flywheel, gsr tranny, traction bars, and I think crower 402's or 404's running mid 13's.
I'm sure there is some little things missing here and there, but I would try what you have. You might like the out come. If you feel like you can have a better out come with vtec after you results, then you can easily change that later.

i was thinking of the same. If i dont like then i will change later on.....

Infamous_1
05-03-2011, 03:22 PM
why spend the extra $ to go vtec when you have all of what you need in your hands.

lol yea still gotta get a manifold and header
thinking about a type r replica intake maniolf and a big tube smsp replica

SX-MAN
05-04-2011, 07:07 AM
i have came to find out the "type r" replicas and parts work just as well as a skunk 2, blox, exc

when you came to buy the head off me i told you my setup and i have spent the last year researching parts what works and possible power advantages....infact you get a gsr intake or ls which ever works best port match it port the tb and your good to go

BABY J
05-04-2011, 08:14 AM
http://www.digitalboxtuning.com/

Papa_Smurf
05-04-2011, 09:33 AM
http://www.digitalboxtuning.com/

Is that Scotty who tuned your nonvtec setup(s)??

BABY J
05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
^^ Yah - I'll answer your PM now.

Papa_Smurf
05-04-2011, 03:21 PM
I tried to send an email to one of the emails listed on his website and it would not send. Like it wasn't a valid email address.

BABY J
05-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Contact Mainstream Performance and they'll be able to square you away with contacting Scotty.

Papa_Smurf
05-04-2011, 07:47 PM
10-4. PRetty sure I have his number, just wanted to ask him sum Q's about tuning my setup.

Infamous_1
05-04-2011, 07:59 PM
best way is to go to scotty at mainstream?

Papa_Smurf
05-05-2011, 07:24 AM
He tuned my dad's b20vtec and we were very impressed at the results.

southside
05-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll I have been on the fence for the longest and back and forth and back and forth.UGH kinda frustrating Vtec or Non vtec,Well lets do the line up considering the stuff you already have(Similar to me)I have all stuff to do a full b20 nonvtec for a little less than 1000$.Now when I did the math compared to getting,Conversion kit,stainless line,ECU,Vtec head and IM.It came out to be almost 2k with vtec setup.Unless you wanna do it cheap way and not machine anything but thats up to you.I would say you do it like I am looking at it.Why try to do b20v instead of trying out the non vtec b20 since you already have everything so no extra cash spent.If you dont like it after you get tuned and everything,Then start building a head to just slap on.I have been researching nonvtec motors for the longest and with the right stuff.You can be knocking at the door to the 200whp class or at least close.The way the powerband from nonvtec compares to vtec is also a bonus because vtec motors have to wait on vtec to engage,also the fact that it could malfunction is another thing that didnt persuade me.Had a b16 wire got cut somehow no vtec got beat by a h22 prelude.SMH after that I said fuck vtec it isnt reliable.Think your car is warmed up enough try to go pop vtec NOPE still not ready?Fuck that NONVTEC can get in start it,well mines wait for everything to warm up a little or it will cut off.Lol Thanks 404s anyways drive shit out of it soon as you start it.I wouldnt recommend but you could if you want without having to wait for your car to warm up.There is a company called KBS on Youtube they have a nonvtec ls that made 190whp.Then with ITBs think it made 210whp around there but with right setup you will make 190 or close.

Infamous_1
05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
so i decided to stay non vtec.... im going to mill my head down to get as close as possible to 11.5 compresson or should i go a little higher? after that i will get a basemap from scotty or should i just save and get hondata s300?, break everything in, then tune! hopefully nuthing goes wrong....

Papa_Smurf
05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
you dont need hondata s300 to get in tuned, just fyi. you will spend a good chunk of change going that route. granted, you will likely have a better tuned specific for your swap, i'm just saying it can be done without s300.

southside
05-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Yea thats where your going to make all your power is the tuning. As long as you get a good tune,From a Good tuner then the setup should make a good amount of power.Also exhaust setup gotta think about that also.

Papa_Smurf
05-06-2011, 07:41 AM
how much power did yours make?

Infamous_1
05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Yea thats where your going to make all your power is the tuning. As long as you get a good tune,From a Good tuner then the setup should make a good amount of power.Also exhaust setup gotta think about that also.

getting 2.5" piping all the way...and emissions is not a problem for me also i live out in the country!

Infamous_1
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
stil trying to get a base map and get it tuned at mainstream if possible

Papa_Smurf
05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
stil trying to get a base map and get it tuned at mainstream if possible

Scotty did a great job tuning my pops car not too long ago. I'm gonna have him tune my setup too

Infamous_1
05-12-2011, 07:59 PM
thinking about just going to import experts in winder, they are only 10 mins away from my house