PDA

View Full Version : buying an srt4

SOHC1
04-19-2011, 10:01 AM
hey guys i need some help
im thinking on trading my jeep for an 04 srt4 stock with just a BOV (6850 is his asking price0
has 132k. clean body. clean tittle and what not. what yall guys think
or what should i check when i go take a look at the car. he told me i can test drive it too.
he already replaced the head gasket , timing belt, cv axle.
thanks in advance guys

Theycall_Metue
04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
- just a little side note, you dont just blow head gasket for no reason. he must have done something like running hot, boost jump, or up the boost too much. what im trying to say is, this can harm the motor.

SOHC1
04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Ok. Thanks bro. Don't you need to replace all gaskets over 100k miles?

chaseamundo
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
make sure tha trans shifts good, i had one and they are notorious for horrible trans

Theycall_Metue
04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Ok. Thanks bro. Don't you need to replace all gaskets over 100k miles?
no, head gaskets are metal, not rubber or paper.

SOHC1
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh. Its cuz Iv always replaced mines on the hondas iv owned over 100k

razo87
04-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Let a mopar guy tell you, first of axles break, second replacing head gasket is insurance, along with timimg belt, and if its an 04 its the best year transmissions on those are great, just check the ecu, if its a stock or a stage ecu, if its a sgtage it has mopar on it along with the viin number of the vin that the ecu originally came with, make sure vin on ecu and body match

SOHC1
04-19-2011, 03:08 PM
he said its bone stock with just an aftermarket BOV.
where is the ecu located onthis cars?
when i test drive it is there anithing i should check or pay attention to? how can i know if the turbo is good with no shaftplay? sorry man im new to turbos and this car period

blown_ss
04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
he said its bone stock with just an aftermarket BOV.
where is the ecu located onthis cars?
when i test drive it is there anithing i should check or pay attention to? how can i know if the turbo is good with no shaftplay? sorry man im new to turbos and this car period

you cant check the turbo unless its off the car. i would ask why he had to replace the head gasket like others have stated. see if the tranny has any grinds mainly in 3rd at high rpms. make sure its boosting right. make sure the boost gauge sits at zero when the car is off, they are know to break and not read right. i would drive it under full throttle to make sure it will drive under load. i can almost promise that the car has not always been stock and that it has been driven hard. just check for the normal things like leaks and such.

razo87
04-19-2011, 04:58 PM
The ecu is located in the engine bay, on the drivers side, behind the headlight. And as far as boost, it should be anywhere from 12 to 16 if stock.normally spike around sixteen and only hold about 13 at redline .also check heatshield on the turbo. The one behind the coil, check for any signs of it ever being removed..as far as the trans. Its an 04 the like I stated before, the trans are great for that year. But always do a downshift from 4th to 3rd and check if the gear doesn't pop back out

SOHC1
04-19-2011, 09:50 PM
The ecu is located in the engine bay, on the drivers side, behind the headlight. And as far as boost, it should be anywhere from 12 to 16 if stock.normally spike around sixteen and only hold about 13 at redline .also check heatshield on the turbo. The one behind the coil, check for any signs of it ever being removed..as far as the trans. Its an 04 the like I stated before, the trans are great for that year. But always do a downshift from 4th to 3rd and check if the gear doesn't pop back out

ok got cha bro! appreciate it!
if the heat shield been removed means they messed with the turbo right?:thinking: lol

razo87
04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Not necessarly the turbo. But main thing I can think of is the wastegate actuator, if that was the case, it means more boost and if more boost than car was driven hard. Also check front of car, if its the stock intercooler, make sure the crash bar is there. You can see it thru the crosshairs.

SOHC1
04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
he told me he bought it all bone stock with just and aftermarket bov and tailights. he sounds kind of a noob like me. lol
but thanks dude. if i get it ill be here more often lol

SOHC1
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
another thing i forgot to ask. whats the avergae life of them?

jfryer496
04-19-2011, 11:35 PM
its a dodge. so they last forever if you take perfect care of them lol

razo87
04-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Like any other car, if its well maintained it will last a long time, my dads truck is prove of that, drives like new, same with the srt. Have mine for years now. And no serious problems besides me driving it hard and breaking and wearin out axles.

SOHC1
04-22-2011, 01:34 PM
you said the boost gauge suppose to sit at 0 when the car is off?

chaseamundo
04-22-2011, 10:36 PM
absolutely