PDA

View Full Version : EG with F22B1 wont start; Please Help

CraigMW
04-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Whats up everyone! I hope i am posting in the right section, if not let meknow and i will be happy to post in the right section. Last year I purchased a 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2921243#) with a freshly rebuilt F22B1 SOHC Vtec engine with around 9000 miles on it. All work was done by the previous ower. The car (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2921243#) ran really good and really strong at first but all of a sudden, more and more problems started to occur with the car. First, the transmission started messing up on me and i am no longer able to shift in 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear... well, thats not that big of a deal, i can handle that because i dont drive the car that often plus i am pretty sure it is just the shift linkage... well, after about 2 weeks of that, one morning i go to start the car and it will not start at all, it tries to turn over but it is very weak and sluggish. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I have checked the battery and changed the spark plugs and that did not help at all. Thanks for looking. (I have taken a video with my phone of what the car is doing when i try to start it and will e-mai it to anyone who wants to take a look at it for troubleshooting.)

Dylan
04-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Is this hatch ur talking about blue?

CraigMW
04-17-2011, 03:38 PM
yes it is.

Dylan
04-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Ok im pretty sure that is my old one then.I had a few random problems out of it but never cranking issues.does it still have the wire tuck?

CraigMW
04-17-2011, 07:15 PM
yea. is this Mike? yes, it still has wire tuck.

CraigMW
04-17-2011, 07:17 PM
what are some issues you had with it?

Dylan
04-17-2011, 08:06 PM
No its not mike. I had some minor problems with it going out of tune and some of the wiring.

CraigMW
04-17-2011, 08:26 PM
oh ok i got you. The guy i got the car from his name was Mike, he said that he did all the work... but o well. ill get it running.

chip P.
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
three first things to alsways check for first
spark, fuel and compression.

CraigMW
04-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I think i have it narrowed down to being my starter. It will not turn over fast enough to tell if i have spark. i know i have fuel, pressure guage reads 40. Would i have to have the car running to check the compression? Thank you for your input Chip P. i appreciate it.

chip P.
04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
the car doesnt need to be running but it would need to be able to turn over. unless you wouldnt mind turning it over by hand which would no doubt take much longer. i know you said you checked the bettery but do you have a voltmeter to read how much jiuce is in it? newer batteries should read like 12.4 so it youre far under that you know its the battery. and if youget it running do the same test but for the alternator, while the car is running it should read around 14.6 if not its the alternator.
take the battery to an autosone or advanced auto and have them chek it out maybe theyll be able to recharge it. then try that along with using the vold meter for the forementiond test on alternator. also maybe check the battery ground to the car and battery positive to the starter, clean and tighten the connections to both

CraigMW
04-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank you for the info Chip. I am going to check the starter and go from there. i am hoping that is all it is. i know this is prob a stupid question but... Would you happen to know the location of the starter?

chip P.
04-18-2011, 02:08 PM
well its more than likely on the left side of the motor(standing in fron of the car) on top of the transmission. if you follow the positive cab;e from the battery down it will end up on the starter. it should have a cylinder shape.

CraigMW
04-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks man. I pulled my starter today and did the "Bench test" where you hook up the jumper cables... the shaft comes out but does not spin at all. I went ahead and ordered a new starter. Hopefully this will get it running!

chip P.
04-18-2011, 09:28 PM
woo! no problem man
. hope that fixes it.

CraigMW
04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
me too man. I miss driving it. I will keep you posted since you are the only one so far with any kind of input.

CraigMW
05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Ok... I have replaced my starter and it started right up. I drove it a while and parked it... I go to start it back up and it does the same thing again... and now it will not start back up without being pushed off... any suggestions? Think maybe i have something that is shorting my starter out? Please help! Thanks so Much!

CraigMW
05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Also, since i replaced the starter and while driving it before it quit starting again... the radio and clock is no longer working and it is not due to a blown fuse. I cannot jump the car off, nor can i jump the starter but i can push the car off and get it to start that way...