PDA

View Full Version : mini swap vtec issue

Theycall_Metue
04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
**94 honda civic cx hatchback**
before: jdm d15b vtec
(blew the block, bent a valve in the head)

now:
-stock d15b7 bottom end
-stock d16z6 head.
-y8 head gasket with arp head stud.
-z6 timing belt
-ebay adjustable cam gear
- i took the oil resistor out from the block.
-vtec dissy from jdm d15b
-vtec solenoid from jdm d15b

ecu
-p28
ebay chip? bought it like that
-vtec at 4.5k
-fuel map adjusted to match vtec
-no rev limitor
(i looked up the spec off ebay)

issue: vtec isnt working after doing mini swap. throwing vtec solenoid code:21 (21 VTEC spool solenoid valve)

-vtec solenoid works, it clicks. pressure switch works. there is enough oil. temperature is perfect. vtec wired up is perfect, i already rewired it to double check.

** only conclusion is that there isnt enough oil pressure flowing to the head to engage, but how? i've removed oil resistor on the block. block was well taken care off - no slug -.

im not a noob at this but im stuck.
block is perfect shape, head is also ok - bad valve stem seals- ( working on it )

** no dumb comments, not here to hear your fail comedian issues**

Cynical 1
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
x2 on the fact it was done correctly. oil jet was removed, and the block had good oil pressure (was mine). correct headgasket, etc.

Cynical 1
04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
and stupid question - did you check your connection at the oil pressure switch? back of the block, and head?

Theycall_Metue
04-15-2011, 12:17 PM
i dont have a way of checking it other than making sure the plug is plugged up

im_hung
04-15-2011, 01:21 PM
*edit* what o2 are you using?
what ecu were you using for the d15b? did you just change to the p28?

Theycall_Metue
04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
i stated that its p28. used a o2 off a d16z6..... either way.... o2 wont prevent you from entering vtec

hadouken
04-17-2011, 01:49 AM
check voltage off of your solenoid

mitch lab
04-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Check to see if your oil baffle (pick up) is clogged or bent. Check your vtec solenoid screen to if its clogged.

Cynical 1
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
i'm gonna bump this for you Tue.

he pulled the pan and checked and cleaned it and the oil pickup.

checked the CEL and is getting code 21 - spool solenoid. code 21 ONLY.

checked resistance and voltage to the vtec oil pressure switch - within spec. (plus code 22 is vtec oil).

engine was making 75psi pressure when it was in my car (was pulled for swap).

checked resistance of the solenoid to ground - 15.5 ohms (within spec of 14-30 ohms).

jumped the solenoid and it clicks. however, when car is running and solenoid is jumped, idle does not change.

however, 2 out of 10 times he jumped the solenoid, idle did drop and the car stalled - tells me it works sporadically.

so, my assumption is the solenoid is sticking/faulty and is causing the CEL code 21 for the spool valve. this means the solenoid needs replaced.

he is going to do some more diag and thinking tonight. any other ideas?

baby50
05-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Is your speedo and cable working withouth incident. I know that vtec wont engage if car is not detected to be above x speed and had same scenario on my d15 mini me swap. Just a thought.